Toshiba 250 gb sata

bspasek

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Hello,
I have a toshiba MK2529GSG sata drive that I pulled out of my laptop as it had failed.... need to know if there is any way to recover its data??
thanks,
Paz

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

Yes, you can recover the data from that hard disk. Just connect it to a different computer. You can do this by installing it inside an external enclosure, and after you get the data off, use it as an external storage device.

The hard disk is probably SATA. Verify this.

Here is a SATA ext. enclosure: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817388010
More here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007705%20600006255&IsNodeId=1&name=2.5%22

bspasek

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Yes it is SATA but my client told me that it failed on his thinkpad. I ordered a SATA enclosure and await its arrival. Not sure if this fried drive is even going to be recognized via usb off the enclosure??? Any other ideas if it can't be read??
Thanks a lot for your assistance...
Barry

Solution

bspasek

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Thank you so much for the info. I will use one of your suggestions once I receive the enclosure and will write you again with what happens....
Thanks again... I really appreciate it,\.
Barry

bspasek

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Hi, just got the enclosure, then attempted to push the drive onto my vista then my 7 boxes to no avail. Then rebooted my vista machine into linux which was able to read the defunct sata drive... Thanks for all your help....

bspasek

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
BTW- the sites you mention are for a price I believe?? Are there any free recovery s/w's that would actually look at the drive for all salvageable files??
thanks again,
Barry

bspasek

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Hi again,
recuva looks ok but it will not recognize the disk so it will not read any data on it. That is what I am looking to do - read the data first...
I will look at some other s/w as I do not want to have to bring any future drives in linux all the time..
Any other s/w that you know of that might be able to read the drive??
Thanks,
Barry

Not free ones.

TRENDING THREADS