Sign in with
Your question

Why Overclock?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 4, 2012 4:59:29 AM

Hello, I have been interested in Overclocking my CPU for a long time and I am seriously considering it right now and I know that overclocking will make some games faster and stuff but other than that what are the pros to overclocking?
-Thanks!

More about : overclock

a c 110 K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 5:12:53 AM

Since you have a 2500K, OC'ing won't really be needed for a while, but CPU OC'ing, in general, is done either because you're experiencing a CPU bottle neck in gaming or other applications or simply, as it is in my case, just because you can.

The major part is deciding whether or not possibly shortening the lifespan of the CPU is important to you vs. the performance gained from doing so. I'm OK with that personally, but some people aren't.

And yes, you can gain some FPS from OC'ing the CPU, if the game is CPU bound, but more FPS can be gained from a GPU OC, usually.
m
l
June 4, 2012 5:26:34 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Since you have a 2500K, OC'ing won't really be needed for a while, but CPU OC'ing, in general, is done either because you're experiencing a CPU bottle neck in gaming or other applications or simply, as it is in my case, just because you can.

The major part is deciding whether or not possibly shortening the lifespan of the CPU is important to you vs. the performance gained from doing so. I'm OK with that personally, but some people aren't.

And yes, you can gain some FPS from OC'ing the CPU, if the game is CPU bound, but more FPS can be gained from a GPU OC, usually.

what do you think a safe overclock would be without shortening the life of my CPU too much, but also giving me a good performance increase?
m
l
Related resources
a c 110 K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 5:31:02 AM

coper210 said:
what do you think a safe overclock would be without shortening the life of my CPU too much, but also giving me a good performance increase?

Honestly, there is no "safe" OC, but the lower the voltage required, better, for longevity's sake. Seriously though, anyone who is truly worried about that shouldn't be OC'ing anyway.

I was able to under-volt my 2500K up to 4.1GHz, by the way, but the voltage required to go past that kinda soared a bit, up to 1.328V, where I am now at 4.5.
m
l
June 4, 2012 5:45:20 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Honestly, there is no "safe" OC, but the lower the voltage required, better, for longevity's sake. Seriously though, anyone who is truly worried about that shouldn't be OC'ing anyway.

I was able to under-volt my 2500K up to 4.1GHz, by the way, but the voltage required to go past that kinda soared a bit, up to 1.328V, where I am now at 4.5.

Can you tell me what I need to set my voltage and everything else to achieve a 4ghz overclock?
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 5:49:29 AM

coper210 said:
Can you tell me what I need to set my voltage and everything else to achieve a 4ghz overclock?

every chip is different. the best to do is find the lowest voltage @ stock and start from there. raise your overclock until fail, slightly bump up the voltage, increase overclock until fail, increase voltage . .wash, rinse, repeat until satisfied.
m
l
a c 110 K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 5:50:00 AM

coper210 said:

Not really because every chip is different in the voltage they want. You might be able to get there on stock voltage or below, but you'll just have to try it and see.

I was at 1.200V at 4.1, but as I said, you may or may not be able to do that.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 6:38:49 AM

people say ocing is bad and shortens lifespans but ive never seen a cpu quit from being properly overclocked. motherboards caps give out way sooner
m
l
a c 110 K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 6:40:45 AM

neon neophyte said:
motherboards caps give out way sooner

That is very true. The mobo will probably die well before the CPU, but the risk to the CPU is still there, if you're careless.
m
l
June 4, 2012 8:12:36 AM

tbh OCing is pure marketing theese days. Since power consumtion and eficiency has become such a high thing in the cpu/gpu market, OCing isnt that intresting. Raly , i have the 2600k, and from 3,4GHz (stock) the CPU does a self OC during high usage to max 3,8GHz but i can achieve an 1,3 GHz OC from the default setting by just setting 2 parameters in the BIOS. The only downside is higher power consumtion ...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 8:41:34 AM

where i live electricity is stupid cheap. power usage is only a concern to me for my laptop and cellphone
m
l
June 4, 2012 9:27:15 AM

Many folk here at tom's have overclocked for years - and I can't remember hearing of a failed cpu due to this (it can happen, though). You must be carefull in your OC approach - e.g. don't overvolt too high unnecessary.

I still have my >2yr old i7 920 'fixed' @4Ghz - from stock 2.66 - that's quite a jump and does result is a very significant performance increase - and that's exactly what we're after. As DJDeCiBeL said, the knock-on benefits may increase gpu performance.

As you'll know, your 2500k is a great overclocker.
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 11:45:36 AM

coper210 said:
Hello, I have been interested in Overclocking my CPU for a long time and I am seriously considering it right now and I know that overclocking will make some games faster and stuff but other than that what are the pros to overclocking?
-Thanks!

Having the perfect excuse to buy new stuff man! :) 

I love the smell of burnt electrical in the morning! :) 

1st, Understand the consequences of what can happen overclocking!

2nd, Educate yourself on How To Do It!

3rd, Learn what components to buy to do it!

4th, Then do it!

m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 11:55:19 AM

mesab66 said:
Many folk here at tom's have overclocked for years - and I can't remember hearing of a failed cpu due to this (it can happen, though). You must be carefull in your OC approach - e.g. don't overvolt too high unnecessary

There have been many failed CPUs and GPUs, I've been here since 2001, heard of many hardware deaths since then, granted we don't hear as much lately with all the unlocked multiplier CPUs, but it does happen every day.

You're right about the over voltage, that's the quickest killer!
m
l
June 4, 2012 12:29:05 PM

I'm also new to overclocking the CPU (just installed a Hyper 212 Evo to keep the temps down). After a bit of research I have found that as long as you are careful and have the right understanding of the process then there is little risk of frying your processor.

This article may be a bit dated and not completely relevant to your particular CPU but it's where I started my education of the topic.

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclock...

As soon as you realize how it all works I must say it's an addictive pass time! One begins to feel he or she can push the boundaries of technology and somehow cheat the system...well I do anyway lol.

Good luck to you.
m
l
!