Sign in with
Your question
Solved

MSI K9A2 Platinum no response

Last response: in Motherboards
June 25, 2010 9:53:54 AM

Hi,

I recently did a case swap with my MSI K9A2 Platinum 790FX Socket AM2+ 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard.

When it come to switching the system back on, although everything appeared normal (power to motherboard - leds on fans rotating) nothing was happening on screen. After I checked the PSU, GPU, CPU & memory with another system and found they were in working order and also tried working componets with my motherboard, I got in contact with MSI to see if the board is still within warrenty.

Well I got an email confirming to day that it is but it will cost £24 for delivery and such, after doing research I might as well buy a new board and pay a little extra than deal with the hassle of packing the old board up and waiting a few weeks.

Can anyone suggest the best motherboard for the following components or a possible solution I may have overlooked for my K9A2 Platinum?

Current Components:
AMD Phenom X4 9950 2.6GHz Black Edition Socket AM2+ 125W 4MB L2 Cache (512KBx4)
Kingston 8GB DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 HyperX Memory CL5 2.2V
Sapphire HD 4870 2GB Vapor X PCI-e

Cheers, Kalvin
a c 296 V Motherboard
June 25, 2010 3:11:50 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

The K9A2 Platinum is a very solid mobo and if u want change it IMO u should go with AM3, Phenom II and DDR3.
m
l
June 25, 2010 3:47:08 PM

Thank you for the reply, I'm not really looking for a whole new system just to replace the board to work with my current components - abit short on cash at present
m
l
Related resources
a c 296 V Motherboard
June 25, 2010 3:54:55 PM

Yeah, I know that mobo is very solid mobo since few weeks ago I had this with a Phenom II X4 955 @3.8GHz.

I would go with the RAM and the warranty, just for try and see what happen.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2010 6:07:58 AM

kalvinparker said:
Hi,

I recently did a case swap with my MSI K9A2 Platinum 790FX Socket AM2+ 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard.

When it come to switching the system back on, although everything appeared normal (power to motherboard - leds on fans rotating) nothing was happening on screen. After I checked the PSU, GPU, CPU & memory with another system and found they were in working order and also tried working componets with my motherboard, I got in contact with MSI to see if the board is still within warrenty.

Well I got an email confirming to day that it is but it will cost £24 for delivery and such, after doing research I might as well buy a new board and pay a little extra than deal with the hassle of packing the old board up and waiting a few weeks.

Can anyone suggest the best motherboard for the following components or a possible solution I may have overlooked for my K9A2 Platinum?

Current Components:
AMD Phenom X4 9950 2.6GHz Black Edition Socket AM2+ 125W 4MB L2 Cache (512KBx4)
Kingston 8GB DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 HyperX Memory CL5 2.2V
Sapphire HD 4870 2GB Vapor X PCI-e

Cheers, Kalvin

Stupid question time. Did you forget to plug in the 12v cpu connector?
m
l
June 30, 2010 8:59:09 AM

No question is stupid (unless it's unrelated) - Yes I have the 12x cpu connector plugged in
m
l
June 30, 2010 10:04:57 AM

I bought the board January 2009, unfortunalty I do not have any system speakers around to try what your suggesting but I am sure the board is dead and that I need to decide wether to buy a replacement or send back to MSI (it will cost £24 plus postal cost to do so)

If anyone can suggest I reasonable motherboard to work with the componets I posted around the £50 mark I would be thankful.
m
l
June 30, 2010 11:28:13 AM

the cpu, psu, ram and graphics card have all been tested with another mobo so i have singled out the board not working - i like this board due to its pci-e ports and can not find anyting like it within the price range i can afford at the moment.
m
l

Best solution

a c 296 V Motherboard
June 30, 2010 2:16:42 PM

Send me something from MSI and I send to u my old K9A2 Platinum :lol: 
July 7, 2010 6:08:00 AM

Best answer selected by kalvinparker.
m
l
!