Can I upgrade from WinXP SP3 32-Bit to WinXP 64-Bit?

Solution
Maybe going form 32 to 64 bit you need to format. I know that if you re-install XP over itself and you already have a usable partition, it will let you intall it in the same place, and name the other windows installation windows.old. But either way, you need to re-install your programs, they won't work even if the files are there because none of the other setup files they add in other places or the registry will be linked to the prigrams anymore.
You will need to re-install Windows, but you can do so without first formatting the hard-drive, leaving your data intact. You'll have to re-install your programs and configure settings, but your files will be there.

You'd want to backup your user directory first anyway just in case.

princesiddiqui

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
When i try to reinstall win xp then it gives format option and their is no option to continue without format drive. I have installed various programs in "Program files folder" and don't want to install again.
:( :( :( :(

wombat_tg

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

You'll have to. The programs will need to be reinstalled inside the new OS There is no way to install the new OS without the format. You cannot copy the Programs directory and have it work. Windows doesn't work that way.

Maybe going form 32 to 64 bit you need to format. I know that if you re-install XP over itself and you already have a usable partition, it will let you intall it in the same place, and name the other windows installation windows.old. But either way, you need to re-install your programs, they won't work even if the files are there because none of the other setup files they add in other places or the registry will be linked to the prigrams anymore.

Solution