qazxcbb

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Hi, i was wondering what static electricity precautions need to be taken when moving old parts to an upgrade rebuild(cpu, motherboard & ram)???
Regards
qazxcbb

Solution
Well, first I would recommend working on a hard surface (table) and chair. Then, to be extra cautious make yourself a static wristband (either browse google for instructions or grab some old wire and be creative) and connect one wrist to the case to keep you and it the same.
Well, first I would recommend working on a hard surface (table) and chair. Then, to be extra cautious make yourself a static wristband (either browse google for instructions or grab some old wire and be creative) and connect one wrist to the case to keep you and it the same.

Solution
Static is really not that much of a factor seriously now. I have built numerous computer without a static wristband and I am an electrical engineer... so I got more knowledge about electricity than most peoples here who are only computer technicians.

The only thing you can really damage with static is the memory module, but now they all got heatsink so it's really not much of a matter. Just be sure to work without a carpet under your feet. What I do too is wearing my shoes and toucing the table I work on before starting.

Still, there is a lot more fears than anything else. One of my friend work for Rio Tinto Alcan in aluminum factory. He travel in a high magnetic and electric field with disk drives in his hands. Not a single of his HDD are dead due to it... you got the picture I guess.

qazxcbb

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

That is what i had been lead to believe, so i must assume something else i am doing wrong is causing my working components to stop working when they are put back! Do the cmos & cmos, blah blah, Can a bad unit effect another???? Curious??
Merry xmas & HNY
Regards
qazxcbb

qazxcbb

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

They(mobo's) can certasinly be a p i a. Will be doing the wristband j i case.
Regards, merry xmas & H N Y :hello:
Regards
qazxcbb

qazxcbb

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

O K Dumb Question1 do mobo batteries interchange????
Q 2 is more fans better????
qazxcbb

notty22

Distinguished
Static electricity is not a concern until you blow something up, lol.
Live in the Northeast, during the winter at my families old house (200 years old,!) it would get dry, low humidity. Walking across the room (carpet) i would get noticeable sparks. Blew up two digital thermostats changing the heat. My High end Sony receiver had a red diode in the volume nob. Touched that saw and felt the spark , blew the light out. I agree with touching the case, table assembling (not on rug) and that will be good enough.

qazxcbb

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

i did hear a buzz when connecting power cable, & It is hot & dry here!!!! ?, I WAS on carpet. When the new components get here(brought anothert kit) i'll build it again & with the advise i've got and i'll see if we have sucess.
Cheers
qazxcbb :sol:

ace700

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
The only problems with static is that the chips will loose the information that was stored on. Ive done some tests with different components and replace the chips on them with newer ones. that did fix the problem till i tryed to find a way to protect them from static shock. Everyone has electricity flowing throught your body but the skin keeps most of it from escaping the body. The thouch screens that they come up with is base on the electric current going throuht the finger tips

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
You need to be careful with static electricity when building a computer. Touching the table or the computer case will not be enough, you need to make sure whatever you touch is grounded.

While your components may not immediately break if there is a discharge, they might get damaged, which in turn may lead to system instability, shortened lifespan of the components, etc.

Get one of these babies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_wrist_strap

There is no good reason to spend hundreds of bucks on computer parts and then cheap out on 2 bucks for an antistatic wrist strap.

Hmmm, where is Retired Chief when we need him.....

Static powerful enough to degrade, if not outright destroy, delicate components can be at least an order of magnitude below what you can feel. I too have been lucky, in the past mostly using only basic precautions of frequent grounding, minimal moving around, and being conscious of my surroundings; but a couple years ago I started using an anti-static wrist strap. It's such a minor thing, and the potential consequences of static far outweigh the minor inconvenience.