Sign in with
Your question

Computer will Not Start With Graphics Card

Last response: in Systems
December 10, 2009 9:13:25 PM

I have been a long-time lurker of TomsHardware, and have come across a computer issue I can't figure out.

I recently moved my computer from my dorm to my home. I plugged my PC in after moving it and it wouldnt start. After troubleshooting and making sure the starter was working, and everything was plugged in, I found that if I removed my GFX card from the PCIE slot, my PC would boot up. I checked my power sourcesto make sure the card's direct PSU lines were plugged in, tried unplugging them, and refitting the card into the slot, still nothing. I have a sapphire radeon hd 4850x2 graphics card, and a GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard. CORSAIR CMPSU-750W power supply. Any suggestions/help?

Also, my mobo has no onboard video.
December 11, 2009 5:56:17 AM

..sounds like insufficient PSU. Double check and make sure video card connections are all in
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2009 12:37:50 PM

Clear the bios.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2009 4:35:37 PM

evongugg said:
Clear the bios.

And it wouldn't hurt to replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard as well.

Any time you unplug a computer from the wall for a while and it gives you problems when you turn it back on ... and you didn't change anything in the meantime, a dead battery is worth investigating. It could be a cheap and easy fix if the problem was that some setting in the BIOS just got reset to default.

Is your problem that the computer won't even power up at all with the card inserted? Or will it power on but you can't see anything? If it's the latter, it really sounds like the BIOS got reset and defaulted to onboard video instead of detecting the card.
December 11, 2009 8:50:59 PM

capt_taco said:
And it wouldn't hurt to replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard as well.

Any time you unplug a computer from the wall for a while and it gives you problems when you turn it back on ... and you didn't change anything in the meantime, a dead battery is worth investigating. It could be a cheap and easy fix if the problem was that some setting in the BIOS just got reset to default.

Is your problem that the computer won't even power up at all with the card inserted? Or will it power on but you can't see anything? If it's the latter, it really sounds like the BIOS got reset and defaulted to onboard video instead of detecting the card.

The PC will power on just fine without the card inserted, but if i insert the GFX card and then try to turn it on, it wont power on at all. I have plenty of power with my PSU, so I don't think it's a power issue. Keep in mind this card functioned fine for 3 months before this happened, so it's not an incompatibility issue.

Double checked and all power connections are connected correctly.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2009 10:44:53 PM

Hmm. Well, next thing to do would be 1) Swap in a different graphics card and see if the machine will turn on, 2) Try the existing 4850 in the other PCIe x16 slot, and 3) Try the existing 4850 in a different machine.

If your system powers on with a different video card, that indicates something wrong the the 4850 (or the 6-pin power connector leading to it).

If the 4850 works in the other slot on this machine, it would indicate your first PCIe slot is going bad.

If the 4850 works in another machine, but neither card works in your existing machine, it would indicate something else wrong with the motherboard or PSU.

I'm not worried that your PSU is too small -- more that there might just be something wrong with it.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2010 4:15:15 PM

thorx said:
The PC will power on just fine without the card inserted, but if i insert the GFX card and then try to turn it on, it wont power on at all. I have plenty of power with my PSU, so I don't think it's a power issue. Keep in mind this card functioned fine for 3 months before this happened, so it's not an incompatibility issue.

Any solution yet, I seems to have the same problem.
February 4, 2010 11:08:57 PM

I have the same problem! I'm using a NVIDIA 220 GT.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2010 2:39:19 AM

This thread should not just die out.. hey owner of the thread.. found any solution?
I got a simliar problem but I am using a HD 4670 card.. without card the computer start but will not give any picture when connecting screen to motherboard.. if card is connected then no reaction at all..
June 27, 2011 5:29:15 PM

I think its a short circuit that caused the graphic card to burn out.
August 7, 2011 9:26:19 AM

I have an XFX 9800 GT Nvidia, that died... the fan blade somehow broke lose and was rubbing against the metal retainer bracket and most likely overheated... the fan has a snap ring on the back which either broke or got lose, was able to secure it so that the fan blade would spin freely, however, the problem was not resolved... installed on two different systems; the following happens, the computer powers up for a split second and then shuts off, I guess it's a safety mechanism that is triggered .. IMHO the Video Card is shot.... BTW this card is 2 years and 7 months old.. I am now using my old slooooooooooooooooooooow, 6 series xfx card... luckily my MOBO has an AGP slot as well .. ASRock ftw... :D  ..
May 2, 2012 3:50:34 PM

Hi,
I am having same problem as u had.Can you tell me how did you solve your problem?
May 9, 2012 7:32:55 AM

Hi,

I am also having the same problem, no solutions yet?
June 1, 2012 12:45:29 AM

I'm having the same issue as we speak. Actually I'm using the onboard Graphics card right now. What you need to do is check all of your components one by one. Unplug something, if it is still the same plug it back and move to another component. In my case I did't come to a final conlusion but as I can understand, it must be the PSU (ordered a new one with active PFC and higher power-efficiency;)). If that doesn't work then it's the PCI-e slot as I used an older ASUS 8600GT with same results.
Anw, i read hundred's post and almost in all the cases, it is 1)Graphic Card burned 2) PSU dying 3) Motherboard 4) Memory 5) rarely other component... Hope this helps you from not reading forums for 10 hours.
June 1, 2012 5:02:19 PM

thorx said:

its the video card its blew out the caps and thin u mite smell a bit of smoke shew sing of the caps blew out thin check to see if the ati card will work if that card works its not the mombo (BUT) it the ati dont work eather its the motherboard that blew out cheak out all u can first but i thank its the motherboard thats pci e thats now dead
September 1, 2012 8:17:19 AM

cgriggsiv said:
its the video card its blew out the caps and thin u mite smell a bit of smoke shew sing of the caps blew out thin check to see if the ati card will work if that card works its not the mombo (BUT) it the ati dont work eather its the motherboard that blew out cheak out all u can first but i thank its the motherboard thats pci e thats now dead

I have similar problem,.i have several video card and it seems working fine before and this card functions in different computers.
December 24, 2012 11:11:29 PM

The thread is a bit old but figured I would also post to.

I'm have the same issue sorta I stuck a GTX 660 into my computer and it will not boot past the loading windows part but, if i put my old card in it boots perfectly find. I uninstalled previous drivers for my amd card but yet the problem still occurs
June 3, 2013 5:23:29 PM

blackns said:
..sounds like insufficient PSU. Double check and make sure video card connections are all in

sorry wrong reply
February 13, 2014 10:49:32 PM

there is nothing u can do now u just have to replace ur graphic card with another card coz i had the same problem. buy the new one.
!