Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Computer will Not Start With Graphics Card

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Graphics Cards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 10, 2009 9:13:25 PM

I have been a long-time lurker of TomsHardware, and have come across a computer issue I can't figure out.

I recently moved my computer from my dorm to my home. I plugged my PC in after moving it and it wouldnt start. After troubleshooting and making sure the starter was working, and everything was plugged in, I found that if I removed my GFX card from the PCIE slot, my PC would boot up. I checked my power sourcesto make sure the card's direct PSU lines were plugged in, tried unplugging them, and refitting the card into the slot, still nothing. I have a sapphire radeon hd 4850x2 graphics card, and a GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard. CORSAIR CMPSU-750W power supply. Any suggestions/help?

Also, my mobo has no onboard video.

More about : computer start graphics card

December 11, 2009 5:56:17 AM

..sounds like insufficient PSU. Double check and make sure video card connections are all in
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2009 12:37:50 PM

Clear the bios.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2009 4:35:37 PM

evongugg said:
Clear the bios.


And it wouldn't hurt to replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard as well.

Any time you unplug a computer from the wall for a while and it gives you problems when you turn it back on ... and you didn't change anything in the meantime, a dead battery is worth investigating. It could be a cheap and easy fix if the problem was that some setting in the BIOS just got reset to default.

Is your problem that the computer won't even power up at all with the card inserted? Or will it power on but you can't see anything? If it's the latter, it really sounds like the BIOS got reset and defaulted to onboard video instead of detecting the card.
m
0
l
December 11, 2009 8:50:59 PM

capt_taco said:
And it wouldn't hurt to replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard as well.

Any time you unplug a computer from the wall for a while and it gives you problems when you turn it back on ... and you didn't change anything in the meantime, a dead battery is worth investigating. It could be a cheap and easy fix if the problem was that some setting in the BIOS just got reset to default.

Is your problem that the computer won't even power up at all with the card inserted? Or will it power on but you can't see anything? If it's the latter, it really sounds like the BIOS got reset and defaulted to onboard video instead of detecting the card.



The PC will power on just fine without the card inserted, but if i insert the GFX card and then try to turn it on, it wont power on at all. I have plenty of power with my PSU, so I don't think it's a power issue. Keep in mind this card functioned fine for 3 months before this happened, so it's not an incompatibility issue.

Double checked and all power connections are connected correctly.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2009 10:44:53 PM

Hmm. Well, next thing to do would be 1) Swap in a different graphics card and see if the machine will turn on, 2) Try the existing 4850 in the other PCIe x16 slot, and 3) Try the existing 4850 in a different machine.

If your system powers on with a different video card, that indicates something wrong the the 4850 (or the 6-pin power connector leading to it).

If the 4850 works in the other slot on this machine, it would indicate your first PCIe slot is going bad.

If the 4850 works in another machine, but neither card works in your existing machine, it would indicate something else wrong with the motherboard or PSU.

I'm not worried that your PSU is too small -- more that there might just be something wrong with it.
m
1
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2010 4:15:15 PM

thorx said:
The PC will power on just fine without the card inserted, but if i insert the GFX card and then try to turn it on, it wont power on at all. I have plenty of power with my PSU, so I don't think it's a power issue. Keep in mind this card functioned fine for 3 months before this happened, so it's not an incompatibility issue.

Double checked and all power connections are connected correctly.




Any solution yet, I seems to have the same problem.
m
0
l
February 4, 2010 11:08:57 PM

I have the same problem! I'm using a NVIDIA 220 GT.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2010 2:39:19 AM

This thread should not just die out.. hey owner of the thread.. found any solution?
I got a simliar problem but I am using a HD 4670 card.. without card the computer start but will not give any picture when connecting screen to motherboard.. if card is connected then no reaction at all..
m
0
l
June 27, 2011 5:29:15 PM

I think its a short circuit that caused the graphic card to burn out.
m
0
l
August 7, 2011 9:26:19 AM

I have an XFX 9800 GT Nvidia, that died... the fan blade somehow broke lose and was rubbing against the metal retainer bracket and most likely overheated... the fan has a snap ring on the back which either broke or got lose, was able to secure it so that the fan blade would spin freely, however, the problem was not resolved... installed on two different systems; the following happens, the computer powers up for a split second and then shuts off, I guess it's a safety mechanism that is triggered .. IMHO the Video Card is shot.... BTW this card is 2 years and 7 months old.. I am now using my old slooooooooooooooooooooow, 6 series xfx card... luckily my MOBO has an AGP slot as well .. ASRock ftw... :D  ..
m
0
l
May 2, 2012 3:50:34 PM

Hi,
I am having same problem as u had.Can you tell me how did you solve your problem?
m
0
l
May 9, 2012 7:32:55 AM

Hi,

I am also having the same problem, no solutions yet?
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 12:45:29 AM

I'm having the same issue as we speak. Actually I'm using the onboard Graphics card right now. What you need to do is check all of your components one by one. Unplug something, if it is still the same plug it back and move to another component. In my case I did't come to a final conlusion but as I can understand, it must be the PSU (ordered a new one with active PFC and higher power-efficiency;)). If that doesn't work then it's the PCI-e slot as I used an older ASUS 8600GT with same results.
Anw, i read hundred's post and almost in all the cases, it is 1)Graphic Card burned 2) PSU dying 3) Motherboard 4) Memory 5) rarely other component... Hope this helps you from not reading forums for 10 hours.
m
0
l
June 1, 2012 5:02:19 PM

thorx said:
The PC will power on just fine without the card inserted, but if i insert the GFX card and then try to turn it on, it wont power on at all. I have plenty of power with my PSU, so I don't think it's a power issue. Keep in mind this card functioned fine for 3 months before this happened, so it's not an incompatibility issue.

Double checked and all power connections are connected correctly.


its the video card its blew out the caps and thin u mite smell a bit of smoke shew sing of the caps blew out thin check to see if the ati card will work if that card works its not the mombo (BUT) it the ati dont work eather its the motherboard that blew out cheak out all u can first but i thank its the motherboard thats pci e thats now dead
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 8:17:19 AM

cgriggsiv said:
its the video card its blew out the caps and thin u mite smell a bit of smoke shew sing of the caps blew out thin check to see if the ati card will work if that card works its not the mombo (BUT) it the ati dont work eather its the motherboard that blew out cheak out all u can first but i thank its the motherboard thats pci e thats now dead



I have similar problem,.i have several video card and it seems working fine before and this card functions in different computers.
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 11:11:29 PM

The thread is a bit old but figured I would also post to.

I'm have the same issue sorta I stuck a GTX 660 into my computer and it will not boot past the loading windows part but, if i put my old card in it boots perfectly find. I uninstalled previous drivers for my amd card but yet the problem still occurs
m
0
l
June 3, 2013 5:23:29 PM

blackns said:
..sounds like insufficient PSU. Double check and make sure video card connections are all in


sorry wrong reply
m
0
l
February 13, 2014 10:49:32 PM

there is nothing u can do now u just have to replace ur graphic card with another card coz i had the same problem. buy the new one.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2014 10:55:01 PM

Now it's my turn.. I even checked for burnt something.. nothing's burnt.. no smell.. all capacitors just flat and smooth..

I got a HD7950 from MSI, was running just beautifully until the whole just stopped working in the middle of a game.. rebooted the PC, it won't budge, fans and lights run but the first boot beep didn't come.. without gpu, it works..

Then with some help, the system booted with integrated graphics (switched it in BIOS), found the following error in dev man for the pcie graphics..

this device cannot start. (Code 10)

any help will be appreciated...
m
0
l
July 9, 2014 8:52:33 PM

illuminatuz said:
Now it's my turn.. I even checked for burnt something.. nothing's burnt.. no smell.. all capacitors just flat and smooth..

I got a HD7950 from MSI, was running just beautifully until the whole just stopped working in the middle of a game.. rebooted the PC, it won't budge, fans and lights run but the first boot beep didn't come.. without gpu, it works..

Then with some help, the system booted with integrated graphics (switched it in BIOS), found the following error in dev man for the pcie graphics..

this device cannot start. (Code 10)

any help will be appreciated...


Same thing is happening to me. I have a MSI Twin Frzr III HD 7950 and my computer does not boot with it installed. The only difference is that my PSU died midgame and when I got a new PSU, it doesn't on with the GPU installed :(  I think it may be a bad motherboard. I'm gonna go buy a new one tomorrow and see if it works.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2014 4:27:55 AM

samueljerri said:
illuminatuz said:
Now it's my turn.. I even checked for burnt something.. nothing's burnt.. no smell.. all capacitors just flat and smooth..

I got a HD7950 from MSI, was running just beautifully until the whole just stopped working in the middle of a game.. rebooted the PC, it won't budge, fans and lights run but the first boot beep didn't come.. without gpu, it works..

Then with some help, the system booted with integrated graphics (switched it in BIOS), found the following error in dev man for the pcie graphics..

this device cannot start. (Code 10)

any help will be appreciated...


Same thing is happening to me. I have a MSI Twin Frzr III HD 7950 and my computer does not boot with it installed. The only difference is that my PSU died midgame and when I got a new PSU, it doesn't on with the GPU installed :(  I think it may be a bad motherboard. I'm gonna go buy a new one tomorrow and see if it works.


I don't think it's the motherboard.. what's the wattage and brand of your new PSU??
m
0
l
August 7, 2014 6:37:38 AM

ok mine is somewhat like this. everything ok until the whole system just died. fans not running, no lights except board power indicator, system runs perfect with on board graphics but when i insert the card back its as if theres no power comming in. i tried a lower class card and this time all fans running but no video comming out. so now im running on board video
m
0
l
September 2, 2014 10:49:28 AM

I have been having a similar issue lately. I have been running this computer with a GTX 650ti for a year absolutely fine. Although since around a month ago, the computer started taking more and more attempts at the power button to actually boot up. I removed my Graphics card and it worked fine. Thinking I had a bad GPU, I took it to my friend's place just to know for sure whether my GPU had actually died. However, the GPU worked in his computer absolutely fine. So now I'm clueless and I'm here looking for others with similar issues.
m
0
l
September 17, 2014 7:28:39 PM

i am having same issue with my HD 7870 iceQ edition
m
0
l
September 18, 2014 12:30:49 AM

jackrulee said:
i am having same issue with my HD 7870 iceQ edition

If you find a solution please let me know.
m
0
l
September 18, 2014 1:48:46 AM

I seems to have the same problem.
m
0
l
October 2, 2014 3:13:54 PM

erinjbjs1 said:
I seems to have the same problem.


Guys I have the same exact problem. I took it to Microcenter PC, and they told me the motherboard was defective. I was using an asrock extreme4 z77 motherboard and the computer would only boot up using 1 stick of ram, and no external graphics card (internal gfx only). As soon as I plug in either the gfx card or the second stick of ram and try to boot up the computer, the computer turns on, runs out of power, then shuts off. Congratulations guys, all of us in this thread are the result of receiving DOA parts from the manufacturer.

Have a good day!
m
0
l
November 24, 2014 5:10:59 AM

illuminatuz said:
Now it's my turn.. I even checked for burnt something.. nothing's burnt.. no smell.. all capacitors just flat and smooth..

I got a HD7950 from MSI, was running just beautifully until the whole just stopped working in the middle of a game.. rebooted the PC, it won't budge, fans and lights run but the first boot beep didn't come.. without gpu, it works..

Then with some help, the system booted with integrated graphics (switched it in BIOS), found the following error in dev man for the pcie graphics..

this device cannot start. (Code 10)

any help will be appreciated...

In some rare cases capacitors won't pop-up so testing them is a good start.
In this cases the ones that mostly malfunction are the ones near/between the PCI slots and the ones between the CPU and the PCI slots.
There could also be a PCIe slot malfunction and if it so the only thing to do is to search for a new mobo. This happenes a lot when you move the PC around and a small amount of vibration could wreck it up.
Also when you are overclocking CPU ond/or GPU you need a good PSU because those parts are more sensitive.
m
0
l
March 26, 2015 8:25:28 PM

To me it sounds like you have an insufficient PSU (Power Supply Unit) which powers the computer. The power requirement for a GTX 660 is roughly 450W. To identify how many watts your PSU has, look at the sticker on the side, back or front of your power supply. Did you unplug anything? Make sure that you've installed the CPU, RAM and other cables correctly. Sometimes the problem is more obvious that we think..
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
March 26, 2015 8:39:56 PM

I doubt the PSU is the problem, in terms of wattage, however, it is not the best quality. Remove 1 gpu, and use a friends PSU to try it out
m
0
l
May 5, 2015 5:04:33 PM

Guys its been a long time and I don't know if this thread is still active, but my problem has been fixed (mostly). I realized that my hyper 212 evo cooler from coolermaster was causing the problem due to the backplate. When I first installed it, i accidentally peeled off the foam sticker that is supposed to put a space between the metal backplate and the back of the motherboard itself. After putting on a replacement buffer to replace the sticker, everything worked (for the most part). Either because of leftover sticker residue or metal contacting the motherboard creating permanent damage, sometimes games will crash and once in a while i get a blue screen. But its better than nothing :p 

P.S.: Also rebuilding my pc 11 times probably damaged something along the way
m
0
l
May 29, 2015 12:00:27 PM

e expert said:
Guys its been a long time and I don't know if this thread is still active, but my problem has been fixed (mostly). I realized that my hyper 212 evo cooler from coolermaster was causing the problem due to the backplate. When I first installed it, i accidentally peeled off the foam sticker that is supposed to put a space between the metal backplate and the back of the motherboard itself. After putting on a replacement buffer to replace the sticker, everything worked (for the most part). Either because of leftover sticker residue or metal contacting the motherboard creating permanent damage, sometimes games will crash and once in a while i get a blue screen. But its better than nothing :p 

P.S.: Also rebuilding my pc 11 times probably damaged something along the way




Hey, if you removed the gpu, would the computer still boot with the non-insulated back-plate or always crash?
m
0
l
July 19, 2015 7:49:29 AM

I have the same problem after replacing my old GT610 inside an HP computer with a new 980Ti ( with some case mods ) and got a new 600w PSU. The computer managed to show the BIOS startup screen, jammed there for like half a minute making 3 short beeps with a long pause between them ( beep [ 10 seconds ] beep [ 10 seconds ] beep [ shows a black screen ] ) and then after 1-2 seconds, it said
"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti VGA BIOS
P14N:98T6G8036D
Version 84.00.36.00.30
Copyright (C) 1996-2015 NVIDIA Corp"
That's it. White words, black background, screen pugged into the GPU with VGA cable and included adapter.
I touched my CPU heat sink and it is very hot, so I guess it is loading something. I swapped out my GTX980Ti with my old GT610 and it booted just fine. My CPU is and i5-2320, low power consumption, so should not be a power problem.
m
0
l
August 28, 2015 7:18:32 AM

Faced with a similar issue. My ATI radeon 5850 wont let the pc turn on at all, but if i plug in a lower end gfx card(gt 610) which requires no power connection, it boots just fine. One amongst the PSU and the gfx card seems to be the culprit. Any suggestions on how i can determine which one it is?
m
0
l
August 31, 2015 10:21:58 PM


Hey, if you removed the gpu, would the computer still boot with the non-insulated back-plate or always crash? [/quotemsg]

You mean for the non-insulated CPU backplate? It depends. According to certain sites, it says that if its an AMD processor/motherboard, then you'll have no problem. Intel on the other hand, has problems with that. Hence why I was stuck in this very dilemma to begin with.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2015 3:03:34 AM

robertdin said:
illuminatuz said:
Now it's my turn.. I even checked for burnt something.. nothing's burnt.. no smell.. all capacitors just flat and smooth..

I got a HD7950 from MSI, was running just beautifully until the whole just stopped working in the middle of a game.. rebooted the PC, it won't budge, fans and lights run but the first boot beep didn't come.. without gpu, it works..

Then with some help, the system booted with integrated graphics (switched it in BIOS), found the following error in dev man for the pcie graphics..

this device cannot start. (Code 10)

any help will be appreciated...

In some rare cases capacitors won't pop-up so testing them is a good start.
In this cases the ones that mostly malfunction are the ones near/between the PCI slots and the ones between the CPU and the PCI slots.
There could also be a PCIe slot malfunction and if it so the only thing to do is to search for a new mobo. This happenes a lot when you move the PC around and a small amount of vibration could wreck it up.
Also when you are overclocking CPU ond/or GPU you need a good PSU because those parts are more sensitive.




sorry for the late reply.. yes, I sent my HD 7950 to MSI for warranty replacement & got the Nvidia GTX 670 in exchange.. :D 
m
0
l