Closed

Computer will Not Start With Graphics Card

I have been a long-time lurker of TomsHardware, and have come across a computer issue I can't figure out.

I recently moved my computer from my dorm to my home. I plugged my PC in after moving it and it wouldnt start. After troubleshooting and making sure the starter was working, and everything was plugged in, I found that if I removed my GFX card from the PCIE slot, my PC would boot up. I checked my power sourcesto make sure the card's direct PSU lines were plugged in, tried unplugging them, and refitting the card into the slot, still nothing. I have a sapphire radeon hd 4850x2 graphics card, and a GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard. CORSAIR CMPSU-750W power supply. Any suggestions/help?

Also, my mobo has no onboard video.
10 answers Last reply
More about computer start graphics card
  1. ..sounds like insufficient PSU. Double check and make sure video card connections are all in
  2. Clear the bios.
  3. evongugg said:
    Clear the bios.

And it wouldn't hurt to replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard as well.

Any time you unplug a computer from the wall for a while and it gives you problems when you turn it back on ... and you didn't change anything in the meantime, a dead battery is worth investigating. It could be a cheap and easy fix if the problem was that some setting in the BIOS just got reset to default.

Is your problem that the computer won't even power up at all with the card inserted? Or will it power on but you can't see anything? If it's the latter, it really sounds like the BIOS got reset and defaulted to onboard video instead of detecting the card.
  4. capt_taco said:
    And it wouldn't hurt to replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard as well.

Any time you unplug a computer from the wall for a while and it gives you problems when you turn it back on ... and you didn't change anything in the meantime, a dead battery is worth investigating. It could be a cheap and easy fix if the problem was that some setting in the BIOS just got reset to default.

Is your problem that the computer won't even power up at all with the card inserted? Or will it power on but you can't see anything? If it's the latter, it really sounds like the BIOS got reset and defaulted to onboard video instead of detecting the card.

The PC will power on just fine without the card inserted, but if i insert the GFX card and then try to turn it on, it wont power on at all. I have plenty of power with my PSU, so I don't think it's a power issue. Keep in mind this card functioned fine for 3 months before this happened, so it's not an incompatibility issue.

Double checked and all power connections are connected correctly.
  5. thorx said:
    The PC will power on just fine without the card inserted, but if i insert the GFX card and then try to turn it on, it wont power on at all. I have plenty of power with my PSU, so I don't think it's a power issue. Keep in mind this card functioned fine for 3 months before this happened, so it's not an incompatibility issue.

Double checked and all power connections are connected correctly.

Any solution yet, I seems to have the same problem.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Graphics Cards Systems