Hd 4890 with photoshop

motomatt77

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
I'm looking into to doing a core I7 920 set up with 6 gigs of ram, windows 7. I have not bought these componets yet so I am open to suggestions. I will mostly be using it for watching Blu-ray and doing a lot of photo editing with CS4. Would you recomend the HD 4890 or the GTX 275... or something else in that price range. $170-$250

Also I have a apevia (asp) ATXIB680W-BL power supply (680w) would that be enough for these if I run an i7?

^ Will you be gaming ? If yes, then only get any of those cards, which ever is cheaper as both cards work fine with Photoshop - ATI's Stream and Nvidia's CUDA...
Your PSU might suffice but I highly doubt its stablity...A quality 500W from Corsair/ Antec EA/ Silverstone/ Seasonic/ or atleast the OCZ mod would be a good choice...

If you dont game, then get the HD 5770 - Very energy efficient and would be pretty powerful and available under $175...And your PSU can handle this just fine...

Photoshop is not a 3D program, does not take much video horsepower to run. Any newer card, even a low end inexpensive one, will do fine for Photoshop. Photoshop works better with a fast processor, multiple cores, lots of memory, and a fast hard drive. Looks like you are on track in those areas. If you want to game, base your GPU decision on the games you will play.
5770 I agree would do the job nicely for you.

motomatt77

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Thanks for all the info. This is my first post on tomshardware forum and now I se why it's so popular. I built a computer a couple years ago and I could never get it to play crysisl. I had an e6600 and a 8800 gtx. I have always wanted to finish that game. So would this setup with the 5770 allow me to finnaly play through that game? Also what about bluray playing?

motomatt77

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Also is the 4890 a better card? It goes for about the same price on tigerdirect. WHile I have you here do you guys think there will be a big price drop on computer componet prices after Christmas. I am debating on purchasing these now or waiting. Thanks again!