Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Fan Choice for Corsair H60.

Last response: in Overclocking
June 4, 2012 5:51:51 PM

Hello all,

I would like to ask for your opinions for the best fan choice for a pre-built water cooling system.

i. I am running an AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE (hoping to overclock to ~4.0Ghz)
ii. I am chooing the Corsair H60 over the Antec 620 --> mainly because Corsair is a more established company and will provide a longer 5 year warranty.
iii. No, I do not want a large air cooler (I think there may be clearance issues with my Corsair Vengeance RAM)
iv. No, I do not want a custom watercooling system (My computer is not worth that much $$$ and effort)

So my question today is if I buy the Corsair Hydro Series H60, which fan configuration would give me the best results.

Options:

1. Stock Corsair fan (only one as a push... or should it pull?) --> I have a filter so I plan to intake fresh air from the outside and draw it into the case.
Specs: http://www.corsair.com/hydro-series-h60-cpu-cooler.html

2. I have two spare Cooler Master SickleFlow R4s, which I can use in a push/pull configuration.
Specs: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=...

3. If the first two options are not good at all, here is my third, but least preferred.
I can purchase a Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000 for $7. I know this will provide amazing cooling performance, but is loud as hell. I have a fan controller but I hear the Ultra Kaze's do not undervolt well... (also, I'd be happy if I can save $7 and not buy yet another fan)
Specs: http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/022/dfs1238_detai...

I realize that ideally, everyone will suggest "SCYTHE GENTLE TYPHOON AP-15s push/pull <3<3<3<3<3" ... but that's probably not going to happen for me... so yeah, out of the three options, which is best?

Thanks for your time,

More about : fan choice corsair h60

a c 150 K Overclocking
June 5, 2012 6:26:20 AM

Hyper 212 EVO > H60 It will fit any of your ram modules.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 5, 2012 6:48:52 AM

I agree with amuffin but if you insist on buying the H60 then go with the push/pull configuration.
m
l
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 5, 2012 4:11:50 PM

Perhaps the best option is to go with a smaller heatsink or an H80 or H100.

I hope you understand the limitation of these Corsair/Antec coolers- they aren't going to cool any better than a good air cooler, even with push/pull fans.
m
l
June 5, 2012 11:49:48 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

Another reason why I don't think AIR is the best option for me is that I am running 9800GTs in SLI. They get quite hot (top card reaches almost 100c underload).

That's why I'm hoping to use a radiator and to draw air from outside the case.
That being said, you're suggesting I go for the H80 (I don't have room for the H100 radiator). Is the H80 much better than the H60? Is the H60 that poor?
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
June 6, 2012 12:10:11 AM

The H60 tubing throws tons of heat into the case. I have one in my hackintosh, and with my overclocked 2500K it is pretty hot.
m
l

Best solution

a c 324 K Overclocking
June 6, 2012 4:55:53 AM

Quote:

Another reason why I don't think AIR is the best option for me is that I am running 9800GTs in SLI. They get quite hot (top card reaches almost 100c underload).

That being said, you're suggesting I go for the H80 (I don't have room for the H100 radiator). Is the H80 much better than the H60? Is the H60 that poor?

Sounds like your issue is case airflow, not the need for a new cooler. Remove the side of your case and blow a desk or house fan set to HIGH into your case...note the load temps. If they remain the same, you need to address the coolers for those components (if they remain hot). If your temps drop significantly, you have a case airflow issue and should address that, first. Simply getting one of these little liquid coolers isn't going to keep your video cards from running hot (100C is too hot...70-80C is pretty normal) and likely is what is causing your CPU temps to also be hot. Try that test and see what the results are.
June 6, 2012 1:52:25 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:

Sounds like your issue is case airflow, not the need for a new cooler. Remove the side of your case and blow a desk or house fan set to HIGH into your case...note the load temps. If they remain the same, you need to address the coolers for those components (if they remain hot). If your temps drop significantly, you have a case airflow issue and should address that, first. Simply getting one of these little liquid coolers isn't going to keep your video cards from running hot (100C is too hot...70-80C is pretty normal) and likely is what is causing your CPU temps to also be hot. Try that test and see what the results are.

Thanks for the insight!

I realize that my GPUs are running a little hot. The bottom card reaches about 60c under load (~40c idle), and the top reaches almost 100c under load (~60c idle). The problem here is that I'm using the coolers that dump all the heat inside on the case, as opposed to shooting it out.

To address the case temperature issue, I feel as if I've done as much as I can. D:
1. Cable management is as tidy as can be.
i. The ModXStream PSU is modular enough so that I am able to keeps cables tidy.
ii. The Armor A90 is big enough so that I was able to throw almost all the cables in the back behind the drive bays. They're out of sight as far as I can tell.

2. I check the case quite often and it is relatively clean, meaning no dust.

3. I've replaced the fans in my case with CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans (rated for 69CFM each). At the moment, there are a total of 6 fans in my case.
i. 2 at the front of the case acting as air intakes
ii. 1 on the side, acting as air intake for cooling the GPUs
iii. *I added an additional fan (by zip-tying) in the drive bays to push air from the front further into the case (towards the GPUs)
iv. 1 at the rear acting as exhaust
v. 1 170mm fan at the top acting as exhaust

But yes, to answer your question, opening the side panel lowers the temps a little (maybe like ~10c?). Realistically, I can't always do that. Is there anything else you would suggest to lower case temps?

Thanks,
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 6, 2012 7:43:13 PM

10C is a pretty good drop in temps, and sounds like you've found the beginning of your issues. You will want to determine the best way to improve upon your current airflow setup, or look into other options to remedy this.

Can you post a couple images of the inside of your case for us to reference? It would seem there is still a significant amount of residual heat in your case that is building up and will need to be displaced or prevented.
m
l
June 7, 2012 8:05:07 AM

rubix_1011 said:
10C is a pretty good drop in temps, and sounds like you've found the beginning of your issues. You will want to determine the best way to improve upon your current airflow setup, or look into other options to remedy this.

Can you post a couple images of the inside of your case for us to reference? It would seem there is still a significant amount of residual heat in your case that is building up and will need to be displaced or prevented.

Thanks again for the helpful response.

I do not have a good camera handy at the moment so I will post pictures as soon as I can. But really, it's what you would come to expect from a decently managed tower.

I just bought a new fan to replace the top 170mm fan (it's stock, has low RPM & low CFM rating I believe).
I could not find any other 170mm for sale, so I went with the next best thing...
Scythe Kaze Maru 2 / Slip Stream 2 --> 140mm fan with 92.4CFM rating... we'll see if this helps exhaust some of the hot air.

To be honest, I am OK with the 9800GTs running at temperatures that they are. The only issue that I have is my AMD stock cooler which is running @ 6000RPM (ranging from 5000-7000RPM depending). This is the loudest thing in my case so I want to take it out as soon as possible. I'm seriously considering the H80 if I can get it for cheap.
What is a the best price for the H80? Currently, it's for sale @ $90 (regular price), but I'm sure it can get lower if I'm a little patient.

Thanks,
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 7, 2012 4:44:47 PM

$90 for a mediocre performing cooler isn't a choice I'd make when there are better options for a little more money. However, I know that actual watercooling isn't for everyone, but are there not any good air coolers that will fit your install?
m
l
June 12, 2012 5:54:19 AM

rubix_1011 said:
$90 for a mediocre performing cooler isn't a choice I'd make when there are better options for a little more money. However, I know that actual watercooling isn't for everyone, but are there not any good air coolers that will fit your install?

Sorry for the late reply,

After further testing, I have come to the conclusion that the 9800GTs are NOT heating up due to inadequate air flow in my PC tower. I guess I was not very thorough the first time around, but this time, I have been running the computer with the side panel off and the temperatures are identical to when the side panel was attached.

However, there was a difference in CPU temperatures, kind of. Typically, the idle temp is 40c and load goes to about ~45-50c. With the side panel on, the stock cooler is as loud as a vacuum (near 7000rpm @ max); but with the side panel off, the stock cooler doesn't really spin more than (near 4000rpm @max) to keep the same temps.

I've exhausted all my options... so I probably do need a new CPU cooler...
I'll post pics as soon as I get the chance. But judging from my situation, is an AIR cooler still viable?

Oh, I'm getting Corsair Dominator DDR3 RAM... will that be too tall for the Hyper 212+ Evo? : O

Thanks
m
l
July 31, 2012 3:42:04 PM

Best answer selected by rex000.
m
l
!