Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Hd 4650 windows 7 wont work

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 11, 2009 11:52:14 AM

So I have seen plenty of stories about the HD4650 not working or at least not being the easiest of installations. Taking a chance I went with the card as my system is aged and this was the only upgradeable option. Surprise, surprise, I can't get the bleepin thing to work. I have installed and uninstalled several times, tried hotifxes, ATI drivers, CD drivers all to no avail. The system recognizes the card and everything installs but after a reboot, the screen freezes on the desktop. No issues in BIOS, no problems with logon, but as soon as the desktop shows I get one of three things 1) blank screen, 2) distorted color / checkerboard, or 3) frozen desktop. I have a dual boot Win 7 and Vista and the results are the same for both (though in Vista the wrong display is primary and the second display does not show at all).

Here are the specs:
Win 7 or Vista
AMD 64 2800+
MSI K8T NEO 6702
1 GB Ram
Plenty of power
Dell 15" (analog) and Samsung 19" (digital) screens

Any help would be absolutely awesome as I am trying to upgrade from a GeForce 6600 and this is the only option. I would hate to go back to that card because the fan is crapping out and its time is limited.

More about : 4650 windows wont work

January 16, 2010 8:13:47 PM

I am having the exact same problem with the sapphire radeon hd4650 agp, running on windows 7 x64. I have tried every bios setting I can think of, and every version of the driver available. But to no avail, the card is recognized, seems like it should work fine, boots clean, logon screen is fine, then when it boots to desktop it freezes. I tried contacting sapphire tech support, they were useless, after running me around in circles with bios and driver changes that I had already told them several times I tried, they just told me it wouldn't work, for no apparent reason.

Win 7 x64
dual AMD opteron 270
Tyan Thunder K8W (s2885)
6 GB ram

If you have solved this issue, or if anyone has any suggestions I would be greatly interested, or if anyone knows of any other decent agp vid cards that would allow me to play blue-ray movies.
January 16, 2010 9:51:33 PM

I have the xfx radeon hd4650 1 gig AGP card. Its treated me well for how old my system and the card is. It might not work on vista or 7 because I use XP and I've never had any of those problems.
Related resources
September 18, 2010 7:46:06 PM

I have a HIS radeon hd4650 1G AGP card, and a Tyan S2885. I run linux, and I can compile programs all day, but as soon as I try a hardware accelerated desktop, the whole thing freezes. In my case, I have tried cards both PCI and AGP, nvidia and ATI. I too have tried all the bios tweaks, driver updates, cooling, etc. My guess is that my board is defective, OR the poor old AMD8111 / 8131 / 8151 chipsets are too weak for really good graphics. Unfortunately, there are very few similar boards to try, so I suggest scrapping the 2885 and buy a new computer. I know, that is the very worst solution, but I've been working on mine for a couple years, and no luck.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
September 18, 2010 8:22:03 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!