Building?

I go to Build mode, I click on wall, then I try to click and Drag.
ABSOLUTELY nothing happens
the terrain is flat, everything seems fine, I just can't seem to do anything
whatsoever in build mode - what's going on???

"Zain of Earth" <zain@zain.zain> schreef in bericht
> I go to Build mode, I click on wall, then I try to click and Drag.
> ABSOLUTELY nothing happens
> the terrain is flat, everything seems fine, I just can't seem to do
anything
> whatsoever in build mode - what's going on???

whats ging on is that you have a crack/no cd patch and these dont work

rico

"Zain of Earth" <zain@zain.zain> wrote in

> I go to Build mode, I click on wall, then I try to click and Drag.
> ABSOLUTELY nothing happens
> the terrain is flat, everything seems fine, I just can't seem to do
> anything whatsoever in build mode - what's going on???

Try a non pirated copy of the sims, and everything should be just fine.

its not the copy its the no cd patch

"drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in news:5a57f$41e696e6$546b980c$21620
@news.multikabel.nl:

> its not the copy its the no cd patch

Why would one need a 'no cd patch' if they had the cd in the first place ?
My advice stands - If people expect a 100% functional product, they should
purchase it and not download it for free, then shreik in mock horror when the
illegal copy doesn't work as expected.

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:10:09 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:

>"drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in news:5a57f$41e696e6$546b980c$21620
>@news.multikabel.nl:
>
>> its not the copy its the no cd patch
>
>Why would one need a 'no cd patch' if they had the cd in the first place ?

I can think of at least a couple, right off the top of my head:

1. To save wear and tear on the CD or the drive. This is especially
useful for people with kids who don't handle CDs carefully and people
who tend to misplace their CDs.
2. To keep from having to swap CDs in and out. This is why I use one.
I don't want to have to hunt down the CD and put it in every time I
want to play, and I use the drive for other things, so I can't just
keep it in the drive all the time

Contrary to some people's prejudgements, many of us who have bought
the game (and the EPs) and kept it to ourselves use no-CD patches for
our own personal convenience.

BW

sometimes its ok to have a no cd patch
if you have more as one kid for instance or if you need the dvd player
i dont say great go and copy games i say sometimes its ok to have a
no cd patch
in my case i dont going to pay twice 60 euro wich is near to 80 dollars
so my wife and i can play
one game should do
is that bad ? if so happy dreaming

> sometimes its ok to have a no cd patch
> if you have more as one kid for instance or if you need the dvd
> player i dont say great go and copy games i say sometimes its ok
> to have a no cd patch
> in my case i dont going to pay twice 60 euro wich is near to 80
> dollars so my wife and i can play
> one game should do
> is that bad ? if so happy dreaming

What you say is reasonable - The thing is is that I would guess 99% of the
people who have a need for no cd patches/virtual drives need them for
piracy and not for any close to legitimate reasons such as yours - Which
is why software manufacturers build anti-piracy measures into their
products in the first place. Even your reason is stretching it.
I don't like sharing my car with my wife - Why can't I have another copy
of a car when I buy one ? How about cell phones ? And TV's ? Internet
connections ? Why is it just software that you think its reasonable to
have a free illegal copy of ?

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:33:27 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:

>"drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in
>
>> sometimes its ok to have a no cd patch
>> if you have more as one kid for instance or if you need the dvd
>> player i dont say great go and copy games i say sometimes its ok
>> to have a no cd patch
>> in my case i dont going to pay twice 60 euro wich is near to 80
>> dollars so my wife and i can play
>> one game should do
>> is that bad ? if so happy dreaming
>
>What you say is reasonable - The thing is is that I would guess 99% of the
>people who have a need for no cd patches/virtual drives need them for
>piracy

We can all "guess" whatever appeals to our preconceptions.

BW

kim

"drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in message
> ok maybe i understood you wrong
> if so sorry
>
> anyway
>
> the mind can ask all kind of questions
> and we all have the so suppossed ethics /morals these ethics/morals
> didnt improve the world a lot
> i bought the game all sim games by the way but i am not going to buy
> second copy for home use

No-cd patches are a prerequisite for game play in my house. My youngest
daughter can be a bit careless with games (mostly due to short-term memory
and distractability issues brought on by a closed head injury). Not using
no-cd patches almost gaurantees that I will be buying new discs on a fairly
regular basis. Sorry, piracy issues aside, I'm grateful for the patches.

Kim

rico

barbara@bookpro.com wrote in news:10udmghn7v396b4@corp.supernews.com:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:10:09 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:
>
>>"drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in
>>news:5a57f$41e696e6$546b980c$21620 @news.multikabel.nl:
>>
>>> its not the copy its the no cd patch
>>
>>Why would one need a 'no cd patch' if they had the cd in the first place
>>?
>
> I can think of at least a couple, right off the top of my head:
>
> 1. To save wear and tear on the CD or the drive. This is especially
> useful for people with kids who don't handle CDs carefully and people
> who tend to misplace their CDs.

I for one have 3 kids, and I take it upon myself to teach them how to
handle CD's - I'd rather not pass the blame on others to cover any child
rearing short comings that I may have.
They mess up the CD, then they don't play the game/application.
Simple & effective.
They are ages 4,6 and 7 and treat CD's/DVD's like they are made of pure
gold.
Kids learn from experience, and desperately need responsibility - And to
give them continuous cop outs and free passes at an early age isn't going
to give you a very productive adult in the future.
"No sweety, don't worry about the choco fingerprints or nasty scratches on
the DVD. Daddys got a burner, and will just make you a brand new one !"

Disc drives themselves are so cheap as to render that point irrelevant.

> 2. To keep from having to swap CDs in and out. This is why I use one.
> I don't want to have to hunt down the CD and put it in every time I
> want to play, and I use the drive for other things, so I can't just
> keep it in the drive all the time

Oh yes, taking the CD out and putting it back in is such a royal pain.
I can't see how software manufacturers can expect their customers to
continuously do such a back breaking task on a routine basis.

> Contrary to some people's prejudgements, many of us who have bought
> the game (and the EPs) and kept it to ourselves use no-CD patches for
> our own personal convenience.
>
> BW

Uh huh - All 3 of you.
Illegitimate uses of CD patches I'm sure far outweigh quasi-legitimate uses
like yours - And your argument of personal convenience falls on deaf ears
here.
We all pay for your 'personal convenience' in the form of higher software
prices, and less and less product every year.

rico

barbara@bookpro.com wrote in news:10udn861jqseo24@corp.supernews.com:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:33:27 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:
>
>>"drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in
>>
>>> sometimes its ok to have a no cd patch
>>> if you have more as one kid for instance or if you need the dvd
>>> player i dont say great go and copy games i say sometimes its ok
>>> to have a no cd patch
>>> in my case i dont going to pay twice 60 euro wich is near to 80
>>> dollars so my wife and i can play
>>> one game should do
>>> is that bad ? if so happy dreaming
>>
>>What you say is reasonable - The thing is is that I would guess 99% of the
>>people who have a need for no cd patches/virtual drives need them for
>>piracy
>
> We can all "guess" whatever appeals to our preconceptions.
>
> BW

C'mon now.
Rampant copyright violations are just a preconception ?
Surely you can't be that much of a ditz.

hmm a clever person here ;-)

you might be human

<barbara@bookpro.com> schreef in bericht

"Rico" <BC@dt.com> wrote in message
> barbara@bookpro.com wrote in news:10udn861jqseo24@corp.supernews.com:
>
> > On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:33:27 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:
> >
> >>"drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in

> >>What you say is reasonable - The thing is is that I would guess 99% of
the
> >>people who have a need for no cd patches/virtual drives need them for
> >>piracy
> >
> > We can all "guess" whatever appeals to our preconceptions.
> >
> > BW
>
> C'mon now.
> Rampant copyright violations are just a preconception ?
> Surely you can't be that much of a ditz.

I use the equivelant of a no-cd patch. As do many others in this group. We
do not promote piracy, but we also do not like having to constantly have the
disc in the drive just to play the game. Especially since the game runs
fine without the disc, it just needs the disc when it is loading. In the
days when I had sims1 and expansions, I used the no-cd to save wear and tear
on my cdrom drive. Now, I am saving wear and tear on my dvd rom drive.

> Uh huh - All 3 of you.
> Illegitimate uses of CD patches I'm sure far outweigh quasi-legitimate
> uses
> like yours - And your argument of personal convenience falls on deaf ears
> here.
> We all pay for your 'personal convenience' in the form of higher software
> prices, and less and less product every year.

Relax Rico, sheessh..
Not everyone is a pirate...
who the hell are you to condemn someone who buys the game legit and just
uses a patch?
What are the software companies doing, counting everytime the No CD patch is
installed and up the price because of it?
You are giving them an excuse to rip us off.

Bluegenie brought the game
she runs a No CD patch
Maxis got her money
They've been getting MY money since the first Sims game! I used No CD
patches for all that generation of games, and am now using a CD image I
mount from my harddrive rather than having my CD in the drive 24/7
I can't have that precious CD in my drive..not in my house! because my b/f
is a huge gamer and he throws discs around like...urgh don't get me
started..
I force him to get No Cd patches, something he is grateful for, because he
isn't Internet inclined...in fact he doesn't even have an email address.
He was majorly pissed that his Grand Theft Auto 3 disc was unplayable
because we had a powersurge about a year ago and it killed our last CD
Drive, with that CD in the drive...the CD Drive upon returning power whirred
and scratched that CD....something we had to do to get the CD out..
Do you think Rockstar games said "Oh that's too bad..here...have another
disc"
He loves that game so much he brought it again (That's TWICE Rockstar games
profited)...but now runs it from the computer
If they are going to start charging more because people use the no CD patch
then they are an unethical company
Remember, the customer is always right!
I am NOT going to buy another CD is this one gets scratched because I can't
afford it
And..actually what am I saying?
L:ike you said "it falls on deaf ears"

- D

> barbara@bookpro.com wrote in news:10udmghn7v396b4@corp.supernews.com:
>
> > On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:10:09 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:
> >
> >>"drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in
> >>news:5a57f$41e696e6$546b980c$21620 @news.multikabel.nl:

> >>Why would one need a 'no cd patch' if they had the cd in the first place
> >>?
> >
> > I can think of at least a couple, right off the top of my head:
> >
> > 1. To save wear and tear on the CD or the drive. This is especially
> > useful for people with kids who don't handle CDs carefully and people
> > who tend to misplace their CDs.
>
> I for one have 3 kids, and I take it upon myself to teach them how to
> handle CD's - I'd rather not pass the blame on others to cover any child
> rearing short comings that I may have.
> They mess up the CD, then they don't play the game/application.
> Simple & effective.
> They are ages 4,6 and 7 and treat CD's/DVD's like they are made of pure
> gold.
> Kids learn from experience, and desperately need responsibility - And to
> give them continuous cop outs and free passes at an early age isn't going
> to give you a very productive adult in the future.
> "No sweety, don't worry about the choco fingerprints or nasty scratches on
> the DVD. Daddys got a burner, and will just make you a brand new one !"

Where in the hell did this come from? We aren't talking about burning cds
here, we are talking about a patch............or do you know the difference?

> Disc drives themselves are so cheap as to render that point irrelevant.

Tell you what, cheap is relative to what a person makes. With what I make,
a disc drive is an extravagance and only bought when absolutely needed, like
if mine broke. So, yes i will protect my disc drive by any means possible.

> > 2. To keep from having to swap CDs in and out. This is why I use one.
> > I don't want to have to hunt down the CD and put it in every time I
> > want to play, and I use the drive for other things, so I can't just
> > keep it in the drive all the time
>
> Oh yes, taking the CD out and putting it back in is such a royal pain.
> I can't see how software manufacturers can expect their customers to
> continuously do such a back breaking task on a routine basis.
>

> > Contrary to some people's prejudgements, many of us who have bought
> > the game (and the EPs) and kept it to ourselves use no-CD patches for
> > our own personal convenience.
> >
> > BW
> >

> Uh huh - All 3 of you.
> Illegitimate uses of CD patches I'm sure far outweigh quasi-legitimate
uses
> like yours - And your argument of personal convenience falls on deaf ears
> here.
> We all pay for your 'personal convenience' in the form of higher software
> prices, and less and less product every year.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. All of us have told
you that we bought our games legitimately, yet you insist that we are
pirates of some sort or another.
I really wonder tho, if junior broke YOUR favorite game, if you would really
go without just to prove a point to your kid.
My guess is no. :)

rico

"Kim" <kimruss@doilookstupid.net> wrote in news:QaadnSdljaGrmHrcRVn-
hg@comcast.com:

> "drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in message
>> ok maybe i understood you wrong
>> if so sorry
>>
>> anyway
>>
>> the mind can ask all kind of questions
>> and we all have the so suppossed ethics /morals these ethics/morals
>> didnt improve the world a lot
>> i bought the game all sim games by the way but i am not going to buy
>> second copy for home use
>>

> No-cd patches are a prerequisite for game play in my house. My youngest
> daughter can be a bit careless with games (mostly due to short-term memory
> and distractability issues brought on by a closed head injury). Not using
> no-cd patches almost gaurantees that I will be buying new discs on a fairly
> regular basis. Sorry, piracy issues aside, I'm grateful for the patches.
>
> Kim

I would think it would be good theorapy for her to teach her responsibilty
and how to care for delicate items, rather than promoting bad habits and
trivializing copyright violations.

kim

> "Kim" <kimruss@doilookstupid.net> wrote in news:QaadnSdljaGrmHrcRVn-
> hg@comcast.com:
>

> > "drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in message
> >> ok maybe i understood you wrong
> >> if so sorry
> >>
> >> anyway
> >>
> >> the mind can ask all kind of questions
> >> and we all have the so suppossed ethics /morals these ethics/morals
> >> didnt improve the world a lot
> >> i bought the game all sim games by the way but i am not going to
buy
> >> second copy for home use
> >>

> > No-cd patches are a prerequisite for game play in my house. My youngest
> > daughter can be a bit careless with games (mostly due to short-term
memory
> > and distractability issues brought on by a closed head injury). Not
using
> > no-cd patches almost gaurantees that I will be buying new discs on a
fairly
> > regular basis. Sorry, piracy issues aside, I'm grateful for the patches.
> >
> > Kim
> >

> I would think it would be good theorapy for her to teach her responsibilty
> and how to care for delicate items, rather than promoting bad habits

It's very easy to make assumptions; however, after 11 years I've learned to
pick my battles. I attempt teach her those very important life skills with
less expensive music CD's.

>and
> trivializing copyright violations.

Obviously, we disagree. I paid for my game, Maxis made money from my
purchase, and I do not feel that using a no-cd to save myself future expense
is wrong or that the current language in copyright laws was meant to target
people or institutions who legally purchase software.

> He was majorly pissed that his Grand Theft Auto 3 disc was unplayable
> because we had a powersurge about a year ago and it killed our last CD
> Drive, with that CD in the drive...the CD Drive upon returning power
> whirred and scratched that CD....something we had to do to get the CD
> out..
> Do you think Rockstar games said "Oh that's too bad..here...have another
> disc"
> He loves that game so much he brought it again (That's TWICE Rockstar
> games profited)...

You need to look up exchange policies. Most software publishers will
replace bad/defective/scratched media (even if it's your own fault) for a
nominal fee (the cost of the media + shipping and handling) if you can
provide proof of purchase. Believe it or not, software companies are
actually quite reasonable.

rico

> You do realize you are fighting a losing battle here don't you?
> Good :)

I'm not fighting any battle.
Simply advancing my views, and if you want to close your ears and eyes, I
could'nt care less, Ms. Save Wear And Tear on my Drive.
Why don't you petition your drive manufacturer for a free backup drive ?

rico

"Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in

> "Rico" <BC@dt.com> wrote in message
>> barbara@bookpro.com wrote in news:10udmghn7v396b4@corp.supernews.com:

>> > I can think of at least a couple, right off the top of my head:
>> >
>> > 1. To save wear and tear on the CD or the drive. This is especially
>> > useful for people with kids who don't handle CDs carefully and people
>> > who tend to misplace their CDs.
>>
>> I for one have 3 kids, and I take it upon myself to teach them how to
>> handle CD's - I'd rather not pass the blame on others to cover any
>> child rearing short comings that I may have.
>> They mess up the CD, then they don't play the game/application.
>> Simple & effective.
>> They are ages 4,6 and 7 and treat CD's/DVD's like they are made of pure
>> gold.
>> Kids learn from experience, and desperately need responsibility - And
>> to give them continuous cop outs and free passes at an early age isn't
>> going to give you a very productive adult in the future.
>> "No sweety, don't worry about the choco fingerprints or nasty scratches
>> on the DVD. Daddys got a burner, and will just make you a brand new one
>> !"
>
> Where in the hell did this come from? We aren't talking about burning
> cds here, we are talking about a patch............or do you know the
> difference?

Do you think disc images are legal ?
They are for the exact same purpose as a burnt CD.

>> Disc drives themselves are so cheap as to render that point irrelevant.
>
> Tell you what, cheap is relative to what a person makes. With what I
> make, a disc drive is an extravagance and only bought when absolutely
> needed, like if mine broke. So, yes i will protect my disc drive by any
> means possible.

So save up some $$$ and buy a backup computer which will contain a backup
disc drive and a backup hard drive for your backed up disc images.
I would rather save wear and tear on my HD, which are more expensive and
prone to failure.
You seem to be looking for 100% certainty in a world that offers no such
thing.

>> > 2. To keep from having to swap CDs in and out. This is why I use
>> > one. I don't want to have to hunt down the CD and put it in every
>> > time I want to play, and I use the drive for other things, so I can't
>> > just keep it in the drive all the time
>>
>> Oh yes, taking the CD out and putting it back in is such a royal pain.
>> I can't see how software manufacturers can expect their customers to
>> continuously do such a back breaking task on a routine basis.
>>

>> > Contrary to some people's prejudgements, many of us who have bought
>> > the game (and the EPs) and kept it to ourselves use no-CD patches for
>> > our own personal convenience.
>> >
>> > BW
>> >

>> Uh huh - All 3 of you.
>> Illegitimate uses of CD patches I'm sure far outweigh quasi-legitimate
> uses
>> like yours - And your argument of personal convenience falls on deaf
>> ears here.
>> We all pay for your 'personal convenience' in the form of higher
>> software prices, and less and less product every year.
>>

> You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

I know exactly what I'm talking about - You just don't want to hear it like a
monkey covering his ears/eyes.
Want a banana ?

> All of us have
> told you that we bought our games legitimately, yet you insist that we
> are pirates of some sort or another.

You are advancing and promoting views and methods that encourage piracy.
Of course you are, and look silly trying to deny it.

> I really wonder tho, if junior broke YOUR favorite game, if you would
> really go without just to prove a point to your kid.
> My guess is no. :)

No Jrs yet .. 3 girls :(
My kids don't go anywhere near my favorite games, most which in fact are not
suited for children anyhow - And they have their own computer.
Once in a while they'll want to borrow a CD/DVD of mine, and I trust them
completely to take care of it as good as I would.
There are some fun games that we mutally like and play though - And yes, I
actually go through the horrendous task of manually taking the CD out of
their computer, walking all the way back to mine, then inserting the disc by
hand into mine when I want to play.
If we happen to want to play the game at the exact same time ?
Too bad - Someone is going to have to show a bit of patience.
They have trashed a few, and through sacrificing their allowances have got
new copies, and now, as I said, treat them as if they are made of solid gold.
They have all their CD's and DVD's neatly organized,carefully stored and you
won't find a finger print or scratch on any of them.
I'm proud of them, and feel as though they've learned a good lesson in
responsibility and respect for property at an early age which they will carry
with them throughout their life, and indeed pass on down to their own kids
some day - Something they wouldn't have learned had I simply created a disc
image and installed no cd patches on their computer.
Their games are their possesions, and they realize that if they trash them,
they will pay for it.

> "Rico" <BC@dt.com> wrote in message
>> "Kim" <kimruss@doilookstupid.net> wrote in news:QaadnSdljaGrmHrcRVn-
>> hg@comcast.com:
>>

>> > "drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in message

> buy
>> >>

>> > No-cd patches are a prerequisite for game play in my house. My
>> > youngest daughter can be a bit careless with games (mostly due to
>> > short-term
> memory
>> > and distractability issues brought on by a closed head injury). Not
> using
>> > no-cd patches almost gaurantees that I will be buying new discs on a
> fairly
>> > regular basis. Sorry, piracy issues aside, I'm grateful for the
>> > patches.
>> >
>> > Kim
>> >

>> I would think it would be good theorapy for her to teach her
>> responsibilty and how to care for delicate items, rather than promoting
>> bad habits
>
> It's very easy to make assumptions; however, after 11 years I've learned
> to pick my battles. I attempt teach her those very important life skills
> with less expensive music CD's.

I wish all the best for you & your girl.

>>and
>> trivializing copyright violations.
>
> Obviously, we disagree. I paid for my game, Maxis made money from my
> purchase, and I do not feel that using a no-cd to save myself future
> expense is wrong or that the current language in copyright laws was
> meant to target people or institutions who legally purchase software.

Point taken - I'd still like to know by what leaps of mental thought some
of you think its perfectly fine to endlessly back up and preserve a
software title for life, when just about everything else you own such as
cars,cell phones,dvd players,nintendos,hair dryers ect have a limited life
span, you accept that as such without even having to think about it, and
when these items expire due to age/accidents/normal wear and tear, you
simply go out and buy a new one.
You don't think for one second that buying a new Hummer entitles you to a
Hummer for life.
Of course you don't.
You don't save wear and tear on your vehicle by keeping it parked in the
driveway 24/7.
It would then be useless.
Not many vehicle manufacturers would remain in business long if everyone
was entitled to a free backup SUV .. Do ya think ?
And you rationalize this behavior simply by stating that the item is bought
and paid for, and you wish to save yourself future expense ?
Why is everything else an exception to this thought process besides
software ?

I've asked before, and so far none of you has attempted an answer.

kim

> "Kim" <kimruss@doilookstupid.net> wrote in
>

> > "Rico" <BC@dt.com> wrote in message
> >> "Kim" <kimruss@doilookstupid.net> wrote in news:QaadnSdljaGrmHrcRVn-
> >> hg@comcast.com:

> > buy

> > memory
> > using
> > fairly

> >> I would think it would be good theorapy for her to teach her
> >> responsibilty and how to care for delicate items, rather than promoting
> >> bad habits
> >
> > It's very easy to make assumptions; however, after 11 years I've learned
> > to pick my battles. I attempt teach her those very important life skills
> > with less expensive music CD's.
>
> I wish all the best for you & your girl.
>

> >>and
> >> trivializing copyright violations.
> >
> > Obviously, we disagree. I paid for my game, Maxis made money from my
> > purchase, and I do not feel that using a no-cd to save myself future
> > expense is wrong or that the current language in copyright laws was
> > meant to target people or institutions who legally purchase software.
> >
> Point taken - I'd still like to know by what leaps of mental thought some
> of you think its perfectly fine to endlessly back up and preserve a
> software title for life, when just about everything else you own such as
> cars,cell phones,dvd players,nintendos,hair dryers ect have a limited life
> span, you accept that as such without even having to think about it, and
> when these items expire due to age/accidents/normal wear and tear, you
> simply go out and buy a new one.
> You don't think for one second that buying a new Hummer entitles you to a
> Hummer for life.
> Of course you don't.
> You don't save wear and tear on your vehicle by keeping it parked in the
> driveway 24/7.
> It would then be useless.
> Not many vehicle manufacturers would remain in business long if everyone
> was entitled to a free backup SUV .. Do ya think ?
> And you rationalize this behavior simply by stating that the item is
bought
> and paid for, and you wish to save yourself future expense ?
> Why is everything else an exception to this thought process besides
> software ?
>
> I've asked before, and so far none of you has attempted an answer.

First of all, I understand your argument about replacement. My cars, cell
phone, DVD players, etc., do have a limited life expectancy; however, they
are up to date for far longer than my software. I can't speak for everyone
who uses altered executables, but in my case the software developers aren't
really losing. I pay for my programs, expansion packs, upgrades, and new
version releases. I purchased the original Sims game ( twice, which is when
I began using patches) plus the five EP's and haven't played any of them
since Sims 2 was released. In fact, they aren't even installed on my
computer, but that's the way it is with software. It was the same with my
husbands Mech Warrior game, PhotoShop, Dragon Naturally Speaking, even my
OS. In the nine years that I have had a computer in my house I have had
Win95, Win98, Millenium, and now XP Pro installed. How are the software
companies losing money by my using a patch?

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:33:57 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:

>barbara@bookpro.com wrote in news:10udn861jqseo24@corp.supernews.com:
>
>> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:33:27 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in

>>>What you say is reasonable - The thing is is that I would guess 99% of the
>>>people who have a need for no cd patches/virtual drives need them for
>>>piracy
>>
>> We can all "guess" whatever appeals to our preconceptions.
>
>C'mon now.
>Rampant copyright violations are just a preconception ?
>Surely you can't be that much of a ditz.

Presenting false choices as a debating technique? Surely you can't be
that much of a plonker.

I never ever said that rampant copyright violations are a
preconception. I would challenge you to back up your "guess" of the
percentage with some actual data.

BW

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:27:18 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:

>barbara@bookpro.com wrote in news:10udmghn7v396b4@corp.supernews.com:
>
>> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:10:09 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in
>>>news:5a57f$41e696e6$546b980c$21620 @news.multikabel.nl:

>>>Why would one need a 'no cd patch' if they had the cd in the first place
>>>?
>>
>> I can think of at least a couple, right off the top of my head:
>>
>> 1. To save wear and tear on the CD or the drive. This is especially
>> useful for people with kids who don't handle CDs carefully and people
>> who tend to misplace their CDs.
>
>I for one have 3 kids, and I take it upon myself to teach them how to
>handle CD's - I'd rather not pass the blame on others to cover any child
>rearing short comings that I may have.
>They mess up the CD, then they don't play the game/application.
>Simple & effective.
>They are ages 4,6 and 7 and treat CD's/DVD's like they are made of pure
>gold.
>Kids learn from experience, and desperately need responsibility - And to
>give them continuous cop outs and free passes at an early age isn't going
>to give you a very productive adult in the future.
>"No sweety, don't worry about the choco fingerprints or nasty scratches on
>the DVD. Daddys got a burner, and will just make you a brand new one !"

How nice for you. I don't see how that invalidates other people's
choice to use a no-CD patch for their own convenience.

>Disc drives themselves are so cheap as to render that point irrelevant.
>
>> 2. To keep from having to swap CDs in and out. This is why I use one.
>> I don't want to have to hunt down the CD and put it in every time I
>> want to play, and I use the drive for other things, so I can't just
>> keep it in the drive all the time
>
>Oh yes, taking the CD out and putting it back in is such a royal pain.
>I can't see how software manufacturers can expect their customers to
>continuously do such a back breaking task on a routine basis.

Oooh, sarcasm. Is that supposed to actually impress anybody?

>> Contrary to some people's prejudgements, many of us who have bought
>> the game (and the EPs) and kept it to ourselves use no-CD patches for
>> our own personal convenience.
>
>Uh huh - All 3 of you.

Many many regular posters in the Sims newsgroups have used no-CD
patches this way for years. I don't care whether you believe it or
not. You've obviously already made up your mind on this issue. Go
enjoy your imaginary moral superiority.

>Illegitimate uses of CD patches I'm sure far outweigh quasi-legitimate uses
>like yours - And your argument of personal convenience falls on deaf ears
>here.
>We all pay for your 'personal convenience' in the form of higher software
>prices, and less and less product every year.

If you can get rid of all no-CD patches, then I'll stop using them.
If I find one and I have a fully paid-for version of the game, I'm
going to use it, whether it makes you deaf or not.

BW