Building?

I go to Build mode, I click on wall, then I try to click and Drag.
ABSOLUTELY nothing happens
the terrain is flat, everything seems fine, I just can't seem to do anything
whatsoever in build mode - what's going on???
50 answers Last reply
More about building

    "Zain of Earth" <zain@zain.zain> schreef in bericht
    > I go to Build mode, I click on wall, then I try to click and Drag.
    > ABSOLUTELY nothing happens
    > the terrain is flat, everything seems fine, I just can't seem to do
    anything
    > whatsoever in build mode - what's going on???

    whats ging on is that you have a crack/no cd patch and these dont work

    "Zain of Earth" <zain@zain.zain> wrote in

    > I go to Build mode, I click on wall, then I try to click and Drag.
    > ABSOLUTELY nothing happens
    > the terrain is flat, everything seems fine, I just can't seem to do
    > anything whatsoever in build mode - what's going on???

    Try a non pirated copy of the sims, and everything should be just fine.

    its not the copy its the no cd patch

    "drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in news:5a57f$41e696e6$546b980c$21620
    @news.multikabel.nl:

    > its not the copy its the no cd patch

    Why would one need a 'no cd patch' if they had the cd in the first place ?
    My advice stands - If people expect a 100% functional product, they should
    purchase it and not download it for free, then shreik in mock horror when the
    illegal copy doesn't work as expected.

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:10:09 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:

    >"drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in news:5a57f$41e696e6$546b980c$21620
    >@news.multikabel.nl:
    >
    >> its not the copy its the no cd patch
    >
    >Why would one need a 'no cd patch' if they had the cd in the first place ?

    I can think of at least a couple, right off the top of my head:

    1. To save wear and tear on the CD or the drive. This is especially
    useful for people with kids who don't handle CDs carefully and people
    who tend to misplace their CDs.
    2. To keep from having to swap CDs in and out. This is why I use one.
    I don't want to have to hunt down the CD and put it in every time I
    want to play, and I use the drive for other things, so I can't just
    keep it in the drive all the time

    Contrary to some people's prejudgements, many of us who have bought
    the game (and the EPs) and kept it to ourselves use no-CD patches for
    our own personal convenience.

    BW

    sometimes its ok to have a no cd patch
    if you have more as one kid for instance or if you need the dvd player
    i dont say great go and copy games i say sometimes its ok to have a
    no cd patch
    in my case i dont going to pay twice 60 euro wich is near to 80 dollars
    so my wife and i can play
    one game should do
    is that bad ? if so happy dreaming

    > sometimes its ok to have a no cd patch
    > if you have more as one kid for instance or if you need the dvd
    > player i dont say great go and copy games i say sometimes its ok
    > to have a no cd patch
    > in my case i dont going to pay twice 60 euro wich is near to 80
    > dollars so my wife and i can play
    > one game should do
    > is that bad ? if so happy dreaming

    What you say is reasonable - The thing is is that I would guess 99% of the
    people who have a need for no cd patches/virtual drives need them for
    piracy and not for any close to legitimate reasons such as yours - Which
    is why software manufacturers build anti-piracy measures into their
    products in the first place. Even your reason is stretching it.
    I don't like sharing my car with my wife - Why can't I have another copy
    of a car when I buy one ? How about cell phones ? And TV's ? Internet
    connections ? Why is it just software that you think its reasonable to
    have a free illegal copy of ?

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:33:27 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:

    >"drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in
    >
    >> sometimes its ok to have a no cd patch
    >> if you have more as one kid for instance or if you need the dvd
    >> player i dont say great go and copy games i say sometimes its ok
    >> to have a no cd patch
    >> in my case i dont going to pay twice 60 euro wich is near to 80
    >> dollars so my wife and i can play
    >> one game should do
    >> is that bad ? if so happy dreaming
    >
    >What you say is reasonable - The thing is is that I would guess 99% of the
    >people who have a need for no cd patches/virtual drives need them for
    >piracy

    We can all "guess" whatever appeals to our preconceptions.

    BW

    "drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in message
    > ok maybe i understood you wrong
    > if so sorry
    >
    > anyway
    >
    > the mind can ask all kind of questions
    > and we all have the so suppossed ethics /morals these ethics/morals
    > didnt improve the world a lot
    > i bought the game all sim games by the way but i am not going to buy
    > second copy for home use

    No-cd patches are a prerequisite for game play in my house. My youngest
    daughter can be a bit careless with games (mostly due to short-term memory
    and distractability issues brought on by a closed head injury). Not using
    no-cd patches almost gaurantees that I will be buying new discs on a fairly
    regular basis. Sorry, piracy issues aside, I'm grateful for the patches.

    Kim

    barbara@bookpro.com wrote in news:10udmghn7v396b4@corp.supernews.com:

    > On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:10:09 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in
    >>news:5a57f$41e696e6$546b980c$21620 @news.multikabel.nl:
    >>
    >>> its not the copy its the no cd patch
    >>
    >>Why would one need a 'no cd patch' if they had the cd in the first place
    >>?
    >
    > I can think of at least a couple, right off the top of my head:
    >
    > 1. To save wear and tear on the CD or the drive. This is especially
    > useful for people with kids who don't handle CDs carefully and people
    > who tend to misplace their CDs.

    I for one have 3 kids, and I take it upon myself to teach them how to
    handle CD's - I'd rather not pass the blame on others to cover any child
    rearing short comings that I may have.
    They mess up the CD, then they don't play the game/application.
    Simple & effective.
    They are ages 4,6 and 7 and treat CD's/DVD's like they are made of pure
    gold.
    Kids learn from experience, and desperately need responsibility - And to
    give them continuous cop outs and free passes at an early age isn't going
    to give you a very productive adult in the future.
    "No sweety, don't worry about the choco fingerprints or nasty scratches on
    the DVD. Daddys got a burner, and will just make you a brand new one !"

    Disc drives themselves are so cheap as to render that point irrelevant.

    > 2. To keep from having to swap CDs in and out. This is why I use one.
    > I don't want to have to hunt down the CD and put it in every time I
    > want to play, and I use the drive for other things, so I can't just
    > keep it in the drive all the time

    Oh yes, taking the CD out and putting it back in is such a royal pain.
    I can't see how software manufacturers can expect their customers to
    continuously do such a back breaking task on a routine basis.

    > Contrary to some people's prejudgements, many of us who have bought
    > the game (and the EPs) and kept it to ourselves use no-CD patches for
    > our own personal convenience.
    >
    > BW

    Uh huh - All 3 of you.
    Illegitimate uses of CD patches I'm sure far outweigh quasi-legitimate uses
    like yours - And your argument of personal convenience falls on deaf ears
    here.
    We all pay for your 'personal convenience' in the form of higher software
    prices, and less and less product every year.

    barbara@bookpro.com wrote in news:10udn861jqseo24@corp.supernews.com:

    > On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:33:27 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in
    >>
    >>> sometimes its ok to have a no cd patch
    >>> if you have more as one kid for instance or if you need the dvd
    >>> player i dont say great go and copy games i say sometimes its ok
    >>> to have a no cd patch
    >>> in my case i dont going to pay twice 60 euro wich is near to 80
    >>> dollars so my wife and i can play
    >>> one game should do
    >>> is that bad ? if so happy dreaming
    >>
    >>What you say is reasonable - The thing is is that I would guess 99% of the
    >>people who have a need for no cd patches/virtual drives need them for
    >>piracy
    >
    > We can all "guess" whatever appeals to our preconceptions.
    >
    > BW

    C'mon now.
    Rampant copyright violations are just a preconception ?
    Surely you can't be that much of a ditz.

    hmm a clever person here ;-)

    you might be human

    <barbara@bookpro.com> schreef in bericht

    "Rico" <BC@dt.com> wrote in message
    > barbara@bookpro.com wrote in news:10udn861jqseo24@corp.supernews.com:
    >
    > > On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:33:27 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>"drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in

    > >>What you say is reasonable - The thing is is that I would guess 99% of
    the
    > >>people who have a need for no cd patches/virtual drives need them for
    > >>piracy
    > >
    > > We can all "guess" whatever appeals to our preconceptions.
    > >
    > > BW
    >
    > C'mon now.
    > Rampant copyright violations are just a preconception ?
    > Surely you can't be that much of a ditz.

    I use the equivelant of a no-cd patch. As do many others in this group. We
    do not promote piracy, but we also do not like having to constantly have the
    disc in the drive just to play the game. Especially since the game runs
    fine without the disc, it just needs the disc when it is loading. In the
    days when I had sims1 and expansions, I used the no-cd to save wear and tear
    on my cdrom drive. Now, I am saving wear and tear on my dvd rom drive.

    > Uh huh - All 3 of you.
    > Illegitimate uses of CD patches I'm sure far outweigh quasi-legitimate
    > uses
    > like yours - And your argument of personal convenience falls on deaf ears
    > here.
    > We all pay for your 'personal convenience' in the form of higher software
    > prices, and less and less product every year.

    Relax Rico, sheessh..
    Not everyone is a pirate...
    who the hell are you to condemn someone who buys the game legit and just
    uses a patch?
    What are the software companies doing, counting everytime the No CD patch is
    installed and up the price because of it?
    You are giving them an excuse to rip us off.

    Bluegenie brought the game
    she runs a No CD patch
    Maxis got her money
    They've been getting MY money since the first Sims game! I used No CD
    patches for all that generation of games, and am now using a CD image I
    mount from my harddrive rather than having my CD in the drive 24/7
    I can't have that precious CD in my drive..not in my house! because my b/f
    is a huge gamer and he throws discs around like...urgh don't get me
    started..
    I force him to get No Cd patches, something he is grateful for, because he
    isn't Internet inclined...in fact he doesn't even have an email address.
    He was majorly pissed that his Grand Theft Auto 3 disc was unplayable
    because we had a powersurge about a year ago and it killed our last CD
    Drive, with that CD in the drive...the CD Drive upon returning power whirred
    and scratched that CD....something we had to do to get the CD out..
    Do you think Rockstar games said "Oh that's too bad..here...have another
    disc"
    He loves that game so much he brought it again (That's TWICE Rockstar games
    profited)...but now runs it from the computer
    If they are going to start charging more because people use the no CD patch
    then they are an unethical company
    Remember, the customer is always right!
    I am NOT going to buy another CD is this one gets scratched because I can't
    afford it
    And..actually what am I saying?
    L:ike you said "it falls on deaf ears"

    - D

    > barbara@bookpro.com wrote in news:10udmghn7v396b4@corp.supernews.com:
    >
    > > On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:10:09 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>"drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in
    > >>news:5a57f$41e696e6$546b980c$21620 @news.multikabel.nl:

    > >>Why would one need a 'no cd patch' if they had the cd in the first place
    > >>?
    > >
    > > I can think of at least a couple, right off the top of my head:
    > >
    > > 1. To save wear and tear on the CD or the drive. This is especially
    > > useful for people with kids who don't handle CDs carefully and people
    > > who tend to misplace their CDs.
    >
    > I for one have 3 kids, and I take it upon myself to teach them how to
    > handle CD's - I'd rather not pass the blame on others to cover any child
    > rearing short comings that I may have.
    > They mess up the CD, then they don't play the game/application.
    > Simple & effective.
    > They are ages 4,6 and 7 and treat CD's/DVD's like they are made of pure
    > gold.
    > Kids learn from experience, and desperately need responsibility - And to
    > give them continuous cop outs and free passes at an early age isn't going
    > to give you a very productive adult in the future.
    > "No sweety, don't worry about the choco fingerprints or nasty scratches on
    > the DVD. Daddys got a burner, and will just make you a brand new one !"

    Where in the hell did this come from? We aren't talking about burning cds
    here, we are talking about a patch............or do you know the difference?

    > Disc drives themselves are so cheap as to render that point irrelevant.

    Tell you what, cheap is relative to what a person makes. With what I make,
    a disc drive is an extravagance and only bought when absolutely needed, like
    if mine broke. So, yes i will protect my disc drive by any means possible.

    > > 2. To keep from having to swap CDs in and out. This is why I use one.
    > > I don't want to have to hunt down the CD and put it in every time I
    > > want to play, and I use the drive for other things, so I can't just
    > > keep it in the drive all the time
    >
    > Oh yes, taking the CD out and putting it back in is such a royal pain.
    > I can't see how software manufacturers can expect their customers to
    > continuously do such a back breaking task on a routine basis.
    >

    > > Contrary to some people's prejudgements, many of us who have bought
    > > the game (and the EPs) and kept it to ourselves use no-CD patches for
    > > our own personal convenience.
    > >
    > > BW
    > >

    > Uh huh - All 3 of you.
    > Illegitimate uses of CD patches I'm sure far outweigh quasi-legitimate
    uses
    > like yours - And your argument of personal convenience falls on deaf ears
    > here.
    > We all pay for your 'personal convenience' in the form of higher software
    > prices, and less and less product every year.

    You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. All of us have told
    you that we bought our games legitimately, yet you insist that we are
    pirates of some sort or another.
    I really wonder tho, if junior broke YOUR favorite game, if you would really
    go without just to prove a point to your kid.
    My guess is no. :)

    "Kim" <kimruss@doilookstupid.net> wrote in news:QaadnSdljaGrmHrcRVn-
    hg@comcast.com:

    > "drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in message
    >> ok maybe i understood you wrong
    >> if so sorry
    >>
    >> anyway
    >>
    >> the mind can ask all kind of questions
    >> and we all have the so suppossed ethics /morals these ethics/morals
    >> didnt improve the world a lot
    >> i bought the game all sim games by the way but i am not going to buy
    >> second copy for home use
    >>

    > No-cd patches are a prerequisite for game play in my house. My youngest
    > daughter can be a bit careless with games (mostly due to short-term memory
    > and distractability issues brought on by a closed head injury). Not using
    > no-cd patches almost gaurantees that I will be buying new discs on a fairly
    > regular basis. Sorry, piracy issues aside, I'm grateful for the patches.
    >
    > Kim

    I would think it would be good theorapy for her to teach her responsibilty
    and how to care for delicate items, rather than promoting bad habits and
    trivializing copyright violations.

    > "Kim" <kimruss@doilookstupid.net> wrote in news:QaadnSdljaGrmHrcRVn-
    > hg@comcast.com:
    >

    > > "drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in message
    > >> ok maybe i understood you wrong
    > >> if so sorry
    > >>
    > >> anyway
    > >>
    > >> the mind can ask all kind of questions
    > >> and we all have the so suppossed ethics /morals these ethics/morals
    > >> didnt improve the world a lot
    > >> i bought the game all sim games by the way but i am not going to
    buy
    > >> second copy for home use
    > >>

    > > No-cd patches are a prerequisite for game play in my house. My youngest
    > > daughter can be a bit careless with games (mostly due to short-term
    memory
    > > and distractability issues brought on by a closed head injury). Not
    using
    > > no-cd patches almost gaurantees that I will be buying new discs on a
    fairly
    > > regular basis. Sorry, piracy issues aside, I'm grateful for the patches.
    > >
    > > Kim
    > >

    > I would think it would be good theorapy for her to teach her responsibilty
    > and how to care for delicate items, rather than promoting bad habits

    It's very easy to make assumptions; however, after 11 years I've learned to
    pick my battles. I attempt teach her those very important life skills with
    less expensive music CD's.

    >and
    > trivializing copyright violations.

    Obviously, we disagree. I paid for my game, Maxis made money from my
    purchase, and I do not feel that using a no-cd to save myself future expense
    is wrong or that the current language in copyright laws was meant to target
    people or institutions who legally purchase software.

    > He was majorly pissed that his Grand Theft Auto 3 disc was unplayable
    > because we had a powersurge about a year ago and it killed our last CD
    > Drive, with that CD in the drive...the CD Drive upon returning power
    > whirred and scratched that CD....something we had to do to get the CD
    > out..
    > Do you think Rockstar games said "Oh that's too bad..here...have another
    > disc"
    > He loves that game so much he brought it again (That's TWICE Rockstar
    > games profited)...

    You need to look up exchange policies. Most software publishers will
    replace bad/defective/scratched media (even if it's your own fault) for a
    nominal fee (the cost of the media + shipping and handling) if you can
    provide proof of purchase. Believe it or not, software companies are
    actually quite reasonable.

    > You do realize you are fighting a losing battle here don't you?
    > Good :)

    I'm not fighting any battle.
    Simply advancing my views, and if you want to close your ears and eyes, I
    could'nt care less, Ms. Save Wear And Tear on my Drive.
    Why don't you petition your drive manufacturer for a free backup drive ?

    "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in

    > "Rico" <BC@dt.com> wrote in message
    >> barbara@bookpro.com wrote in news:10udmghn7v396b4@corp.supernews.com:

    >> > I can think of at least a couple, right off the top of my head:
    >> >
    >> > 1. To save wear and tear on the CD or the drive. This is especially
    >> > useful for people with kids who don't handle CDs carefully and people
    >> > who tend to misplace their CDs.
    >>
    >> I for one have 3 kids, and I take it upon myself to teach them how to
    >> handle CD's - I'd rather not pass the blame on others to cover any
    >> child rearing short comings that I may have.
    >> They mess up the CD, then they don't play the game/application.
    >> Simple & effective.
    >> They are ages 4,6 and 7 and treat CD's/DVD's like they are made of pure
    >> gold.
    >> Kids learn from experience, and desperately need responsibility - And
    >> to give them continuous cop outs and free passes at an early age isn't
    >> going to give you a very productive adult in the future.
    >> "No sweety, don't worry about the choco fingerprints or nasty scratches
    >> on the DVD. Daddys got a burner, and will just make you a brand new one
    >> !"
    >
    > Where in the hell did this come from? We aren't talking about burning
    > cds here, we are talking about a patch............or do you know the
    > difference?

    Do you think disc images are legal ?
    They are for the exact same purpose as a burnt CD.

    >> Disc drives themselves are so cheap as to render that point irrelevant.
    >
    > Tell you what, cheap is relative to what a person makes. With what I
    > make, a disc drive is an extravagance and only bought when absolutely
    > needed, like if mine broke. So, yes i will protect my disc drive by any
    > means possible.

    So save up some $$$ and buy a backup computer which will contain a backup
    disc drive and a backup hard drive for your backed up disc images.
    I would rather save wear and tear on my HD, which are more expensive and
    prone to failure.
    You seem to be looking for 100% certainty in a world that offers no such
    thing.

    >> > 2. To keep from having to swap CDs in and out. This is why I use
    >> > one. I don't want to have to hunt down the CD and put it in every
    >> > time I want to play, and I use the drive for other things, so I can't
    >> > just keep it in the drive all the time
    >>
    >> Oh yes, taking the CD out and putting it back in is such a royal pain.
    >> I can't see how software manufacturers can expect their customers to
    >> continuously do such a back breaking task on a routine basis.
    >>

    >> > Contrary to some people's prejudgements, many of us who have bought
    >> > the game (and the EPs) and kept it to ourselves use no-CD patches for
    >> > our own personal convenience.
    >> >
    >> > BW
    >> >

    >> Uh huh - All 3 of you.
    >> Illegitimate uses of CD patches I'm sure far outweigh quasi-legitimate
    > uses
    >> like yours - And your argument of personal convenience falls on deaf
    >> ears here.
    >> We all pay for your 'personal convenience' in the form of higher
    >> software prices, and less and less product every year.
    >>

    > You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

    I know exactly what I'm talking about - You just don't want to hear it like a
    monkey covering his ears/eyes.
    Want a banana ?

    > All of us have
    > told you that we bought our games legitimately, yet you insist that we
    > are pirates of some sort or another.

    You are advancing and promoting views and methods that encourage piracy.
    Of course you are, and look silly trying to deny it.

    > I really wonder tho, if junior broke YOUR favorite game, if you would
    > really go without just to prove a point to your kid.
    > My guess is no. :)

    No Jrs yet .. 3 girls :(
    My kids don't go anywhere near my favorite games, most which in fact are not
    suited for children anyhow - And they have their own computer.
    Once in a while they'll want to borrow a CD/DVD of mine, and I trust them
    completely to take care of it as good as I would.
    There are some fun games that we mutally like and play though - And yes, I
    actually go through the horrendous task of manually taking the CD out of
    their computer, walking all the way back to mine, then inserting the disc by
    hand into mine when I want to play.
    If we happen to want to play the game at the exact same time ?
    Too bad - Someone is going to have to show a bit of patience.
    They have trashed a few, and through sacrificing their allowances have got
    new copies, and now, as I said, treat them as if they are made of solid gold.
    They have all their CD's and DVD's neatly organized,carefully stored and you
    won't find a finger print or scratch on any of them.
    I'm proud of them, and feel as though they've learned a good lesson in
    responsibility and respect for property at an early age which they will carry
    with them throughout their life, and indeed pass on down to their own kids
    some day - Something they wouldn't have learned had I simply created a disc
    image and installed no cd patches on their computer.
    Their games are their possesions, and they realize that if they trash them,
    they will pay for it.

    > "Rico" <BC@dt.com> wrote in message
    >> "Kim" <kimruss@doilookstupid.net> wrote in news:QaadnSdljaGrmHrcRVn-
    >> hg@comcast.com:
    >>

    >> > "drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in message

    > buy
    >> >>

    >> > No-cd patches are a prerequisite for game play in my house. My
    >> > youngest daughter can be a bit careless with games (mostly due to
    >> > short-term
    > memory
    >> > and distractability issues brought on by a closed head injury). Not
    > using
    >> > no-cd patches almost gaurantees that I will be buying new discs on a
    > fairly
    >> > regular basis. Sorry, piracy issues aside, I'm grateful for the
    >> > patches.
    >> >
    >> > Kim
    >> >

    >> I would think it would be good theorapy for her to teach her
    >> responsibilty and how to care for delicate items, rather than promoting
    >> bad habits
    >
    > It's very easy to make assumptions; however, after 11 years I've learned
    > to pick my battles. I attempt teach her those very important life skills
    > with less expensive music CD's.

    I wish all the best for you & your girl.

    >>and
    >> trivializing copyright violations.
    >
    > Obviously, we disagree. I paid for my game, Maxis made money from my
    > purchase, and I do not feel that using a no-cd to save myself future
    > expense is wrong or that the current language in copyright laws was
    > meant to target people or institutions who legally purchase software.

    Point taken - I'd still like to know by what leaps of mental thought some
    of you think its perfectly fine to endlessly back up and preserve a
    software title for life, when just about everything else you own such as
    cars,cell phones,dvd players,nintendos,hair dryers ect have a limited life
    span, you accept that as such without even having to think about it, and
    when these items expire due to age/accidents/normal wear and tear, you
    simply go out and buy a new one.
    You don't think for one second that buying a new Hummer entitles you to a
    Hummer for life.
    Of course you don't.
    You don't save wear and tear on your vehicle by keeping it parked in the
    driveway 24/7.
    It would then be useless.
    Not many vehicle manufacturers would remain in business long if everyone
    was entitled to a free backup SUV .. Do ya think ?
    And you rationalize this behavior simply by stating that the item is bought
    and paid for, and you wish to save yourself future expense ?
    Why is everything else an exception to this thought process besides
    software ?

    I've asked before, and so far none of you has attempted an answer.

    > "Kim" <kimruss@doilookstupid.net> wrote in
    >

    > > "Rico" <BC@dt.com> wrote in message
    > >> "Kim" <kimruss@doilookstupid.net> wrote in news:QaadnSdljaGrmHrcRVn-
    > >> hg@comcast.com:

    > > buy

    > > memory
    > > using
    > > fairly

    > >> I would think it would be good theorapy for her to teach her
    > >> responsibilty and how to care for delicate items, rather than promoting
    > >> bad habits
    > >
    > > It's very easy to make assumptions; however, after 11 years I've learned
    > > to pick my battles. I attempt teach her those very important life skills
    > > with less expensive music CD's.
    >
    > I wish all the best for you & your girl.
    >

    > >>and
    > >> trivializing copyright violations.
    > >
    > > Obviously, we disagree. I paid for my game, Maxis made money from my
    > > purchase, and I do not feel that using a no-cd to save myself future
    > > expense is wrong or that the current language in copyright laws was
    > > meant to target people or institutions who legally purchase software.
    > >
    > Point taken - I'd still like to know by what leaps of mental thought some
    > of you think its perfectly fine to endlessly back up and preserve a
    > software title for life, when just about everything else you own such as
    > cars,cell phones,dvd players,nintendos,hair dryers ect have a limited life
    > span, you accept that as such without even having to think about it, and
    > when these items expire due to age/accidents/normal wear and tear, you
    > simply go out and buy a new one.
    > You don't think for one second that buying a new Hummer entitles you to a
    > Hummer for life.
    > Of course you don't.
    > You don't save wear and tear on your vehicle by keeping it parked in the
    > driveway 24/7.
    > It would then be useless.
    > Not many vehicle manufacturers would remain in business long if everyone
    > was entitled to a free backup SUV .. Do ya think ?
    > And you rationalize this behavior simply by stating that the item is
    bought
    > and paid for, and you wish to save yourself future expense ?
    > Why is everything else an exception to this thought process besides
    > software ?
    >
    > I've asked before, and so far none of you has attempted an answer.

    First of all, I understand your argument about replacement. My cars, cell
    phone, DVD players, etc., do have a limited life expectancy; however, they
    are up to date for far longer than my software. I can't speak for everyone
    who uses altered executables, but in my case the software developers aren't
    really losing. I pay for my programs, expansion packs, upgrades, and new
    version releases. I purchased the original Sims game ( twice, which is when
    I began using patches) plus the five EP's and haven't played any of them
    since Sims 2 was released. In fact, they aren't even installed on my
    computer, but that's the way it is with software. It was the same with my
    husbands Mech Warrior game, PhotoShop, Dragon Naturally Speaking, even my
    OS. In the nine years that I have had a computer in my house I have had
    Win95, Win98, Millenium, and now XP Pro installed. How are the software
    companies losing money by my using a patch?

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:33:57 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:

    >barbara@bookpro.com wrote in news:10udn861jqseo24@corp.supernews.com:
    >
    >> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:33:27 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in

    >>>What you say is reasonable - The thing is is that I would guess 99% of the
    >>>people who have a need for no cd patches/virtual drives need them for
    >>>piracy
    >>
    >> We can all "guess" whatever appeals to our preconceptions.
    >
    >C'mon now.
    >Rampant copyright violations are just a preconception ?
    >Surely you can't be that much of a ditz.

    Presenting false choices as a debating technique? Surely you can't be
    that much of a plonker.

    I never ever said that rampant copyright violations are a
    preconception. I would challenge you to back up your "guess" of the
    percentage with some actual data.

    BW

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:27:18 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:

    >barbara@bookpro.com wrote in news:10udmghn7v396b4@corp.supernews.com:
    >
    >> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:10:09 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in
    >>>news:5a57f$41e696e6$546b980c$21620 @news.multikabel.nl:

    >>>Why would one need a 'no cd patch' if they had the cd in the first place
    >>>?
    >>
    >> I can think of at least a couple, right off the top of my head:
    >>
    >> 1. To save wear and tear on the CD or the drive. This is especially
    >> useful for people with kids who don't handle CDs carefully and people
    >> who tend to misplace their CDs.
    >
    >I for one have 3 kids, and I take it upon myself to teach them how to
    >handle CD's - I'd rather not pass the blame on others to cover any child
    >rearing short comings that I may have.
    >They mess up the CD, then they don't play the game/application.
    >Simple & effective.
    >They are ages 4,6 and 7 and treat CD's/DVD's like they are made of pure
    >gold.
    >Kids learn from experience, and desperately need responsibility - And to
    >give them continuous cop outs and free passes at an early age isn't going
    >to give you a very productive adult in the future.
    >"No sweety, don't worry about the choco fingerprints or nasty scratches on
    >the DVD. Daddys got a burner, and will just make you a brand new one !"

    How nice for you. I don't see how that invalidates other people's
    choice to use a no-CD patch for their own convenience.

    >Disc drives themselves are so cheap as to render that point irrelevant.
    >
    >> 2. To keep from having to swap CDs in and out. This is why I use one.
    >> I don't want to have to hunt down the CD and put it in every time I
    >> want to play, and I use the drive for other things, so I can't just
    >> keep it in the drive all the time
    >
    >Oh yes, taking the CD out and putting it back in is such a royal pain.
    >I can't see how software manufacturers can expect their customers to
    >continuously do such a back breaking task on a routine basis.

    Oooh, sarcasm. Is that supposed to actually impress anybody?

    >> Contrary to some people's prejudgements, many of us who have bought
    >> the game (and the EPs) and kept it to ourselves use no-CD patches for
    >> our own personal convenience.
    >
    >Uh huh - All 3 of you.

    Many many regular posters in the Sims newsgroups have used no-CD
    patches this way for years. I don't care whether you believe it or
    not. You've obviously already made up your mind on this issue. Go
    enjoy your imaginary moral superiority.

    >Illegitimate uses of CD patches I'm sure far outweigh quasi-legitimate uses
    >like yours - And your argument of personal convenience falls on deaf ears
    >here.
    >We all pay for your 'personal convenience' in the form of higher software
    >prices, and less and less product every year.

    If you can get rid of all no-CD patches, then I'll stop using them.
    If I find one and I have a fully paid-for version of the game, I'm
    going to use it, whether it makes you deaf or not.

    BW

    Burp !!!

    bye

    > "Rico" <BC@dt.com> wrote in message
    >> "Kim" <kimruss@doilookstupid.net> wrote in
    >>

    >> > "Rico" <BC@dt.com> wrote in message

    >> > buy

    >> > memory
    >> > using
    >> > fairly

    >> > It's very easy to make assumptions; however, after 11 years I've
    >> > learned to pick my battles. I attempt teach her those very important
    >> > life skills with less expensive music CD's.
    >>
    >> I wish all the best for you & your girl.

    >> > Obviously, we disagree. I paid for my game, Maxis made money from my
    >> > purchase, and I do not feel that using a no-cd to save myself future
    >> > expense is wrong or that the current language in copyright laws was
    >> > meant to target people or institutions who legally purchase software.
    >> >
    >> Point taken - I'd still like to know by what leaps of mental thought
    >> some of you think its perfectly fine to endlessly back up and preserve
    >> a software title for life, when just about everything else you own such
    >> as cars,cell phones,dvd players,nintendos,hair dryers ect have a
    >> limited life span, you accept that as such without even having to think
    >> about it, and when these items expire due to age/accidents/normal wear
    >> and tear, you simply go out and buy a new one.
    >> You don't think for one second that buying a new Hummer entitles you to
    >> a Hummer for life.
    >> Of course you don't.
    >> You don't save wear and tear on your vehicle by keeping it parked in
    >> the driveway 24/7.
    >> It would then be useless.
    >> Not many vehicle manufacturers would remain in business long if
    >> everyone was entitled to a free backup SUV .. Do ya think ?
    >> And you rationalize this behavior simply by stating that the item is
    > bought
    >> and paid for, and you wish to save yourself future expense ?
    >> Why is everything else an exception to this thought process besides
    >> software ?
    >>
    >> I've asked before, and so far none of you has attempted an answer.
    >>

    > First of all, I understand your argument about replacement. My cars,
    > cell phone, DVD players, etc., do have a limited life expectancy;
    > however, they are up to date for far longer than my software. I can't
    > speak for everyone who uses altered executables, but in my case the
    > software developers aren't really losing. I pay for my programs,
    > expansion packs, upgrades, and new version releases. I purchased the
    > original Sims game ( twice, which is when I began using patches) plus
    > the five EP's and haven't played any of them since Sims 2 was released.
    > In fact, they aren't even installed on my computer, but that's the way
    > it is with software. It was the same with my husbands Mech Warrior game,
    > PhotoShop, Dragon Naturally Speaking, even my OS. In the nine years that
    > I have had a computer in my house I have had Win95, Win98, Millenium,
    > and now XP Pro installed. How are the software companies losing money by
    > my using a patch?

    1) You are promoting, even by posting here, copy right infringing
    technology. 2) You are attempting to artificially, and perhaps illegally,
    extending the shelf life of the software into infinity - Something which
    no man made product can be reasonably expected to do. As I said, or at
    least implied, I'm sure that if it was possible to make a backup copy of
    your vehicle, you would. You can't, and you accept that as a fact without
    having to devote any thought to the matter at all. You do it with software
    simply because you can - Which does not necessarily make it right.

    > "Kim" <kimruss@doilookstupid.net> wrote in
    >

    > > "Rico" <BC@dt.com> wrote in message
    > >> "Kim" <kimruss@doilookstupid.net> wrote in

    > >> I wish all the best for you & your girl.

    > >> Point taken - I'd still like to know by what leaps of mental thought
    > >> some of you think its perfectly fine to endlessly back up and preserve
    > >> a software title for life, when just about everything else you own such
    > >> as cars,cell phones,dvd players,nintendos,hair dryers ect have a
    > >> limited life span, you accept that as such without even having to think
    > >> about it, and when these items expire due to age/accidents/normal wear
    > >> and tear, you simply go out and buy a new one.
    > >> You don't think for one second that buying a new Hummer entitles you to
    > >> a Hummer for life.
    > >> Of course you don't.
    > >> You don't save wear and tear on your vehicle by keeping it parked in
    > >> the driveway 24/7.
    > >> It would then be useless.
    > >> Not many vehicle manufacturers would remain in business long if
    > >> everyone was entitled to a free backup SUV .. Do ya think ?
    > >> And you rationalize this behavior simply by stating that the item is
    > > bought
    > >> and paid for, and you wish to save yourself future expense ?
    > >> Why is everything else an exception to this thought process besides
    > >> software ?
    > >>
    > >> I've asked before, and so far none of you has attempted an answer.
    > >>

    > > First of all, I understand your argument about replacement. My cars,
    > > cell phone, DVD players, etc., do have a limited life expectancy;
    > > however, they are up to date for far longer than my software. I can't
    > > speak for everyone who uses altered executables, but in my case the
    > > software developers aren't really losing. I pay for my programs,
    > > expansion packs, upgrades, and new version releases. I purchased the
    > > original Sims game ( twice, which is when I began using patches) plus
    > > the five EP's and haven't played any of them since Sims 2 was released.
    > > In fact, they aren't even installed on my computer, but that's the way
    > > it is with software. It was the same with my husbands Mech Warrior game,
    > > PhotoShop, Dragon Naturally Speaking, even my OS. In the nine years that
    > > I have had a computer in my house I have had Win95, Win98, Millenium,
    > > and now XP Pro installed. How are the software companies losing money by
    > > my using a patch?
    > >

    > 1) You are promoting, even by posting here, copy right infringing
    > technology. 2) You are attempting to artificially, and perhaps illegally,
    > extending the shelf life of the software into infinity - Something which
    > no man made product can be reasonably expected to do.

    Why so testy? I thought you said that this was merely a discussion and not
    one that was terribly important to you?

    As I said, or at
    > least implied, I'm sure that if it was possible to make a backup copy of
    > your vehicle, you would. You can't, and you accept that as a fact without
    > having to devote any thought to the matter at all.You can't, and you
    accept that as a fact without
    > having to devote any thought to the matter at all. You do it with software
    > simply because you can -

    Must be nice to have the eyes and ears of God. I can't begin to imagine how
    powerful you must feel, being certain what a given individual would or would
    not do and why. :)

    >Which does not necessarily make it right.

    It isn't necessarily wrong either. In fact, when this issue was raised in
    our school district legal council for the schools advised that the district,
    as a single entity, could install a fixed executable in any machine within
    its network without fear of being in violation of licensing agreements or
    current copyright laws. How does my personal use of one differ?

    I did mention that to my b/f, but *sigh* you see he couldn't be without the
    game for even one measly day
    he used our grocery money
    >:(
    I had to live off bread for 4 days.

    Yeah you can laugh..but friggin hell..some people are addicted to smack or
    alcohol
    I'm happy he is addicted to something safe like...uh Grand Theft Auto

    --
    - D

    P.S Rico, whatever dude, you can totally say what you believe in, kudos to
    you...your children would have to be *extra* careful, and god forbid an
    accident, but then again you have the money for a replacement (I think or
    you don't really care for games in the way some fanatics do).
    Oh and this will make you happy, my bf plays Grand Theft Auto Vice City with
    the CD in the drive! He likes it better for some reason...I guess it's the
    whole "experience" thing. :) And yeah he does treat it like gold, puts it
    back in the case and everything......you're right sometimes people learn or
    he's tempting fate..whatever ;)

    barbara@bookpro.com wrote in news:10ugbn1lom91se1@corp.supernews.com:

    > On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:27:18 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:
    >
    >>barbara@bookpro.com wrote in news:10udmghn7v396b4@corp.supernews.com:

    >>> I can think of at least a couple, right off the top of my head:
    >>>
    >>> 1. To save wear and tear on the CD or the drive. This is especially
    >>> useful for people with kids who don't handle CDs carefully and people
    >>> who tend to misplace their CDs.
    >>
    >>I for one have 3 kids, and I take it upon myself to teach them how to
    >>handle CD's - I'd rather not pass the blame on others to cover any child
    >>rearing short comings that I may have.
    >>They mess up the CD, then they don't play the game/application.
    >>Simple & effective.
    >>They are ages 4,6 and 7 and treat CD's/DVD's like they are made of pure
    >>gold.
    >>Kids learn from experience, and desperately need responsibility - And to
    >>give them continuous cop outs and free passes at an early age isn't
    >>going to give you a very productive adult in the future.
    >>"No sweety, don't worry about the choco fingerprints or nasty scratches
    >>on the DVD. Daddys got a burner, and will just make you a brand new one
    >>!"
    >
    > How nice for you. I don't see how that invalidates other people's
    > choice to use a no-CD patch for their own convenience.
    >
    >>Disc drives themselves are so cheap as to render that point irrelevant.
    >>
    >>> 2. To keep from having to swap CDs in and out. This is why I use one.
    >>> I don't want to have to hunt down the CD and put it in every time I
    >>> want to play, and I use the drive for other things, so I can't just
    >>> keep it in the drive all the time
    >>
    >>Oh yes, taking the CD out and putting it back in is such a royal pain.
    >>I can't see how software manufacturers can expect their customers to
    >>continuously do such a back breaking task on a routine basis.
    >
    > Oooh, sarcasm. Is that supposed to actually impress anybody?

    Certainly ain't lookin to impress a bunch of sims junkies no.
    I've played the game a few times, and the novelty is wearing off already.
    I will put forth the proposition - That you are doubtless aware of already
    - That anyone who plays this game for days,weeks and months on end is
    pretty much a lifeless loser, and should be put out of their misery ASAP.

    >>> Contrary to some people's prejudgements, many of us who have bought
    >>> the game (and the EPs) and kept it to ourselves use no-CD patches for
    >>> our own personal convenience.
    >>
    >>Uh huh - All 3 of you.
    >
    > Many many regular posters in the Sims newsgroups have used no-CD
    > patches this way for years. I don't care whether you believe it or
    > not. You've obviously already made up your mind on this issue. Go
    > enjoy your imaginary moral superiority.
    >
    >>Illegitimate uses of CD patches I'm sure far outweigh quasi-legitimate
    >>uses like yours - And your argument of personal convenience falls on
    >>deaf ears here.
    >>We all pay for your 'personal convenience' in the form of higher
    >>software prices, and less and less product every year.
    >
    > If you can get rid of all no-CD patches, then I'll stop using them.
    > If I find one and I have a fully paid-for version of the game, I'm
    > going to use it, whether it makes you deaf or not.
    >
    > BW

    Its readily apparent that a lazy, flab ass like you will do whatever you
    please regardless of any consequences.

    some people make easy friends ;-)
    in this case you
    may you have a great life;-)

    <barbara@bookpro.com> schreef in bericht
    > On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:27:18 GMT, Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:
    >
    > >barbara@bookpro.com wrote in news:10udmghn7v396b4@corp.supernews.com:

    > >> I can think of at least a couple, right off the top of my head:
    > >>
    > >> 1. To save wear and tear on the CD or the drive. This is especially
    > >> useful for people with kids who don't handle CDs carefully and people
    > >> who tend to misplace their CDs.
    > >
    > >I for one have 3 kids, and I take it upon myself to teach them how to
    > >handle CD's - I'd rather not pass the blame on others to cover any child
    > >rearing short comings that I may have.
    > >They mess up the CD, then they don't play the game/application.
    > >Simple & effective.
    > >They are ages 4,6 and 7 and treat CD's/DVD's like they are made of pure
    > >gold.
    > >Kids learn from experience, and desperately need responsibility - And to
    > >give them continuous cop outs and free passes at an early age isn't going
    > >to give you a very productive adult in the future.
    > >"No sweety, don't worry about the choco fingerprints or nasty scratches
    on
    > >the DVD. Daddys got a burner, and will just make you a brand new one !"
    >
    > How nice for you. I don't see how that invalidates other people's
    > choice to use a no-CD patch for their own convenience.
    >
    > >Disc drives themselves are so cheap as to render that point irrelevant.
    > >
    > >> 2. To keep from having to swap CDs in and out. This is why I use one.
    > >> I don't want to have to hunt down the CD and put it in every time I
    > >> want to play, and I use the drive for other things, so I can't just
    > >> keep it in the drive all the time
    > >
    > >Oh yes, taking the CD out and putting it back in is such a royal pain.
    > >I can't see how software manufacturers can expect their customers to
    > >continuously do such a back breaking task on a routine basis.
    >
    > Oooh, sarcasm. Is that supposed to actually impress anybody?
    >
    > >> Contrary to some people's prejudgements, many of us who have bought
    > >> the game (and the EPs) and kept it to ourselves use no-CD patches for
    > >> our own personal convenience.
    > >
    > >Uh huh - All 3 of you.
    >
    > Many many regular posters in the Sims newsgroups have used no-CD
    > patches this way for years. I don't care whether you believe it or
    > not. You've obviously already made up your mind on this issue. Go
    > enjoy your imaginary moral superiority.
    >
    > >Illegitimate uses of CD patches I'm sure far outweigh quasi-legitimate
    uses
    > >like yours - And your argument of personal convenience falls on deaf ears
    > >here.
    > >We all pay for your 'personal convenience' in the form of higher software
    > >prices, and less and less product every year.
    >
    > If you can get rid of all no-CD patches, then I'll stop using them.
    > If I find one and I have a fully paid-for version of the game, I'm
    > going to use it, whether it makes you deaf or not.
    >
    > BW

    why is everybody feeding the troll?

    "chubchub" <group1@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > why is everybody feeding the troll?

    Well, it's January, it's cold, and I'm bored.*grin*

    > Somehow I don't think this (legal use plus patch) matters nearly as
    > much to
    > the software developers as it seems to matter to you.

    Patch users don't bother me.
    Hypocrites do.

    Have a nice day.

    "Kim" <kimruss@doilookstupid.net> wrote in news:TbydnSZjHoPF1XXcRVn-
    iA@comcast.com:

    > "chubchub" <group1@gmx.net> wrote in message
    >> why is everybody feeding the troll?
    >>

    > Well, it's January, it's cold, and I'm bored.*grin*

    So start a new illegal sims family why dont'cha ?
    Name them the Koppywrights.

    > "Kim" <kimruss@doilookstupid.net> wrote in news:TbydnSZjHoPF1XXcRVn-
    > iA@comcast.com:
    >

    >> "chubchub" <group1@gmx.net> wrote in message
    >>> why is everybody feeding the troll?
    >>>

    >> Well, it's January, it's cold, and I'm bored.*grin*
    >>

    > So start a new illegal sims family why dont'cha ?
    > Name them the Koppywrights.

    Oh thanks!! I was trying to come up with some ridiculous name and now I
    have it thanks to you oh mighty one!! :P

    >> Well...nobody can blame those evil Rockstar bastards for making money
    >> twice
    >>off of your boyfriend. They have a low-cost solution for someone in his
    >> situation; he just chose to ignore it, so as far as I'm concerned the
    >>argument is invalid.

    It is invalid, my bad.
    I guess I forgot to "back up" my argument
    hehe

    >> I'm happy he is addicted to something safe like...uh Grand Theft Auto
    >
    > :-) At the expense of you living off bread for 4 days? :-/ Do you have
    > kids?

    Nah just cats, and the cats get their food in bulk so they never go hungry!
    I'm 25!!! no way am I having kids yet ;)

    - D

    "Rico" <BC@dt.com> wrote in message

    > > You do realize you are fighting a losing battle here don't you?
    > > Good :)
    > >
    > I'm not fighting any battle.
    > Simply advancing my views, and if you want to close your ears and eyes, I
    > could'nt care less, Ms. Save Wear And Tear on my Drive.
    > Why don't you petition your drive manufacturer for a free backup drive ?

    If you were just stating your views, you would not be trying to get everyone
    to share your views and that is exactly what you are doing. I accept that
    you believe different from the rest of us, and I can accept that without
    throwing out silly insults to make my point. Apparently you see it as your
    duty to straighten us out.
    You have failed.
    Have a nice life.

    > barbara@bookpro.com wrote in news:10ugbn1lom91se1@corp.supernews.com:

    > >>I for one have 3 kids, and I take it upon myself to teach them how to
    > >>handle CD's - I'd rather not pass the blame on others to cover any child
    > >>rearing short comings that I may have.
    > >>They mess up the CD, then they don't play the game/application.
    > >>Simple & effective.
    > >>They are ages 4,6 and 7 and treat CD's/DVD's like they are made of pure
    > >>gold.
    > >>Kids learn from experience, and desperately need responsibility - And to
    > >>give them continuous cop outs and free passes at an early age isn't
    > >>going to give you a very productive adult in the future.
    > >>"No sweety, don't worry about the choco fingerprints or nasty scratches
    > >>on the DVD. Daddys got a burner, and will just make you a brand new one
    > >>!"
    > >
    > > How nice for you. I don't see how that invalidates other people's
    > > choice to use a no-CD patch for their own convenience.
    > >
    > >>Disc drives themselves are so cheap as to render that point irrelevant.

    > >>Oh yes, taking the CD out and putting it back in is such a royal pain.
    > >>I can't see how software manufacturers can expect their customers to
    > >>continuously do such a back breaking task on a routine basis.
    > >
    > > Oooh, sarcasm. Is that supposed to actually impress anybody?
    >
    > Certainly ain't lookin to impress a bunch of sims junkies no.
    > I've played the game a few times, and the novelty is wearing off already.
    > I will put forth the proposition - That you are doubtless aware of already
    > - That anyone who plays this game for days,weeks and months on end is
    > pretty much a lifeless loser, and should be put out of their misery ASAP.

    > >>Uh huh - All 3 of you.
    > >
    > > Many many regular posters in the Sims newsgroups have used no-CD
    > > patches this way for years. I don't care whether you believe it or
    > > not. You've obviously already made up your mind on this issue. Go
    > > enjoy your imaginary moral superiority.
    > >
    > >>Illegitimate uses of CD patches I'm sure far outweigh quasi-legitimate
    > >>uses like yours - And your argument of personal convenience falls on
    > >>deaf ears here.
    > >>We all pay for your 'personal convenience' in the form of higher
    > >>software prices, and less and less product every year.
    > >
    > > If you can get rid of all no-CD patches, then I'll stop using them.
    > > If I find one and I have a fully paid-for version of the game, I'm
    > > going to use it, whether it makes you deaf or not.
    > >
    > > BW
    > >

    > Its readily apparent that a lazy, flab ass like you will do whatever you
    > please regardless of any consequences.

    Let's see, you want us to 'see the light' but then you call us names and try
    to insult us into it? That's brilliant of you. Now I know why your kids
    treat your cds like gold.

    > "Rico" <BC@dt.com> wrote in message
    >> barbara@bookpro.com wrote in news:10ugbn1lom91se1@corp.supernews.com:

    >> > How nice for you. I don't see how that invalidates other people's
    >> > choice to use a no-CD patch for their own convenience.

    >> > Oooh, sarcasm. Is that supposed to actually impress anybody?
    >>
    >> Certainly ain't lookin to impress a bunch of sims junkies no.
    >> I've played the game a few times, and the novelty is wearing off
    >> already. I will put forth the proposition - That you are doubtless
    >> aware of already - That anyone who plays this game for days,weeks and
    >> months on end is pretty much a lifeless loser, and should be put out of
    >> their misery ASAP.

    >> > Many many regular posters in the Sims newsgroups have used no-CD
    >> > patches this way for years. I don't care whether you believe it or
    >> > not. You've obviously already made up your mind on this issue. Go
    >> > enjoy your imaginary moral superiority.

    >> > If you can get rid of all no-CD patches, then I'll stop using them.
    >> > If I find one and I have a fully paid-for version of the game, I'm
    >> > going to use it, whether it makes you deaf or not.
    >> >
    >> > BW
    >> >

    >> Its readily apparent that a lazy, flab ass like you will do whatever
    >> you please regardless of any consequences.
    >
    > Let's see, you want us to 'see the light' but then you call us names and
    > try to insult us into it? That's brilliant of you. Now I know why your
    > kids treat your cds like gold.

    Ok I'll retract that silly statment.
    I know nothing about your ass to form any opinion on it.

    And thats 3 "us's" in as many sentences.
    You really need to work on that.
    Put any spin on it that you wish to make yourself fee better I was only
    insuting you - Which can be readily verified from reading the statement
    'flab ass like you'.
    If you need to go on some power trip, surely you can think of a better
    venue than a sims news group.

    > "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in
    >

    > > "Rico" <BC@dt.com> wrote in message

    > >> Certainly ain't lookin to impress a bunch of sims junkies no.
    > >> I've played the game a few times, and the novelty is wearing off
    > >> already. I will put forth the proposition - That you are doubtless
    > >> aware of already - That anyone who plays this game for days,weeks and
    > >> months on end is pretty much a lifeless loser, and should be put out of
    > >> their misery ASAP.

    > >> Its readily apparent that a lazy, flab ass like you will do whatever
    > >> you please regardless of any consequences.
    > >
    > > Let's see, you want us to 'see the light' but then you call us names and
    > > try to insult us into it? That's brilliant of you. Now I know why your
    > > kids treat your cds like gold.
    > >

    > Ok I'll retract that silly statment.
    > I know nothing about your ass to form any opinion on it.
    >
    > And thats 3 "us's" in as many sentences.
    > You really need to work on that.
    > Put any spin on it that you wish to make yourself fee better I was only
    > insuting you - Which can be readily verified from reading the statement
    > 'flab ass like you'.
    > If you need to go on some power trip, surely you can think of a better
    > venue than a sims news group.

    Actually, if you read the course of the thread, you were insulting BW :)

    > Speaking of piracy in general here, well not in general and not in
    > gaming, but in movies. There is an ad they show in the theaters talking
    > about piracy in the movie industry. Everytime I see that ad, I think to
    > myself.............the people that NEED to see this ad will never see it
    > because they never come to the theater.

    You mean the one where that creative stagehand or whatever yacks about his
    job, his family ect ... Then says his whole livlihood is threatened by piracy
    ? I think they stopped playing that .. I saw meet the fookers last week, and
    went out and saw the grudge just last night [huge mistake to take kids to
    that movie. I didn't think it would be that scary. They wanted to see it
    because that Buffy chick was in it].
    They sat there blocking their eyes and even ears for 90% of that flick.

    > I know about the venues because of past relationships which are not
    > important now. I feel the same about downloading movies off the
    > internet, I will not do it. I either buy them or rent them or both.
    > I know that there are a lot who take advantage and use pirated cds,
    > games, movies to their own advantage, making money and such off of them,
    > you are right, I am not that naive. I can only really speak for myself
    > and some of the others here when I say we use the patches for our own
    > households, not to make anything off of them.

    ok - But I'll point out that you don't necessarily have to make a profit to
    violate copyrights.

    > I've had things stolen off the internet before, it does not feel good at
    > all and I would not do that to someone else.
    > Just in case you are interested, someone stole a tutorial of mine and I
    > have had sims creations stolen too.

    Well Ok I'm not going to trivialize that, though I'm tempted.
    What good are tutorials or sim creations if you don't wish to share them ?

    > > Speaking of piracy in general here, well not in general and not in
    > > gaming, but in movies. There is an ad they show in the theaters talking
    > > about piracy in the movie industry. Everytime I see that ad, I think to
    > > myself.............the people that NEED to see this ad will never see it
    > > because they never come to the theater.
    >
    > You mean the one where that creative stagehand or whatever yacks about his
    > job, his family ect ... Then says his whole livlihood is threatened by
    piracy
    > ? I think they stopped playing that .. I saw meet the fookers last week,
    and
    > went out and saw the grudge just last night [huge mistake to take kids to
    > that movie. I didn't think it would be that scary. They wanted to see it
    > because that Buffy chick was in it].
    > They sat there blocking their eyes and even ears for 90% of that flick.
    >
    > > I know about the venues because of past relationships which are not
    > > important now. I feel the same about downloading movies off the
    > > internet, I will not do it. I either buy them or rent them or both.
    > > I know that there are a lot who take advantage and use pirated cds,
    > > games, movies to their own advantage, making money and such off of them,
    > > you are right, I am not that naive. I can only really speak for myself
    > > and some of the others here when I say we use the patches for our own
    > > households, not to make anything off of them.
    >
    > ok - But I'll point out that you don't necessarily have to make a profit
    > violate copyrights.
    >
    > > I've had things stolen off the internet before, it does not feel good at
    > > all and I would not do that to someone else.
    > > Just in case you are interested, someone stole a tutorial of mine and I
    > > have had sims creations stolen too.
    >
    > Well Ok I'm not going to trivialize that, though I'm tempted.
    > What good are tutorials or sim creations if you don't wish to share them ?

    Well yes, I agree, the tutorial tho was to show someone how to do something.
    Then they could use what they made with the tutorial any way they wanted.
    But, what they did was take the tutorial in it's entireity and put it on a
    site taking credit for writing it themselves. They literally copied my
    html, used my pics and everything. Luckily a friend found it and let me
    know. That section of the 'theif's' site was down within hours.
    As far as the objects go, it's one thing to share them, but another for
    someone to offer them for download claiming to be the creator.

    WOw , I never had the pleasure of arguing for this long with anybody. Save
    for OhMikeGod and I actually sometimes miss that. As for who's side I am on
    I use No-CD patches for just about every game I play. Face it Rico is an
    a-hole !

    Ah, heck, he is able to have his own opinions, just like the rest of us.
    All in all, it was a good arguement aka discussion :)

    Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:

    > - That anyone who plays this game for days,weeks and months on end is
    > pretty much a lifeless loser, and should be put out of their misery
    > ASAP.

    Your posting in a Usenet newsgroup really puts yourself above the
    fray...

    "James Gunn" <jimbo@lan.org> wrote in news:l_0Hd.1991$Fx1.2@fe03.lga:

    > WOw , I never had the pleasure of arguing for this long with anybody.
    > Save for OhMikeGod and I actually sometimes miss that. As for who's side
    > I am on I use No-CD patches for just about every game I play. Face it
    > Rico is an a-hole !

    Stop fantasizing dimrod - No one is arguing with you.

    Okay then...

    If you people are absolutely done arguing this point, It's for someone who
    is disabled, and uses a trackball to even Play the Darn game, he's got his
    own copy for heavens sake,
    and I'm trying to help out, THIS IS NOT ABOUT PIRACY, it's not about ripping
    anyone off, ALL it's about is the fact that EVERY other thing works with a
    No CD Patch and this does'nt!!!.

    "Zain of Earth" <zain@zain.zain> wrote in message
    >I go to Build mode, I click on wall, then I try to click and Drag.
    > ABSOLUTELY nothing happens
    > the terrain is flat, everything seems fine, I just can't seem to do
    > anything whatsoever in build mode - what's going on???

    That is because the no-cd patch causes the 'no building' syndrome. Now,
    they can reinstall the game or put their original exe file back where it
    belongs and then mount the game with something like alchohol or daemon tools
    and use an image of the game to save from having to put in the cd/dvd all
    the time.

    > Okay then...
    >
    > If you people are absolutely done arguing this point, It's for someone who
    > is disabled, and uses a trackball to even Play the Darn game, he's got his
    > own copy for heavens sake,
    > and I'm trying to help out, THIS IS NOT ABOUT PIRACY, it's not about
    ripping
    > anyone off, ALL it's about is the fact that EVERY other thing works with a
    > No CD Patch and this does'nt!!!.
    >
    > "Zain of Earth" <zain@zain.zain> wrote in message
    > >I go to Build mode, I click on wall, then I try to click and Drag.
    > > ABSOLUTELY nothing happens
    > > the terrain is flat, everything seems fine, I just can't seem to do
    > > anything whatsoever in build mode - what's going on???

    Well does anyone here use a No CD patch for the game who might help him out?

    I thought No CD patches worked horribly with this game

    --
    - D
    "Zain of Earth" <zain@zain.zain> wrote in message
    > Okay then...
    >
    > If you people are absolutely done arguing this point, It's for someone who
    > is disabled, and uses a trackball to even Play the Darn game, he's got his
    > own copy for heavens sake,
    > and I'm trying to help out, THIS IS NOT ABOUT PIRACY, it's not about
    > ripping anyone off, ALL it's about is the fact that EVERY other thing
    > works with a No CD Patch and this does'nt!!!.
    >
    > "Zain of Earth" <zain@zain.zain> wrote in message
    >>I go to Build mode, I click on wall, then I try to click and Drag.
    >> ABSOLUTELY nothing happens
    >> the terrain is flat, everything seems fine, I just can't seem to do
    >> anything whatsoever in build mode - what's going on???

Sims Games Build Video Games