How can I keep my kids from watching DVD's I manually copi..

How can I keep my kids from watching DVD's I manually copied to my replay ?

Thanks
12 answers Last reply
More about kids watching manually copi

    On 4 Jul 2004 19:02:56 -0700, q1m7ot001@sneakemail.com (No Spam
    Please) wrote:

    >How can I keep my kids from watching DVD's I manually copied to my replay ?
    >
    >Thanks

    Why would you do that (copy DVD to Replay)?

    Most DVDs are recorded with a much higher video quality, which you
    lose by using the Replay.

    Anyway, you could put the Replay where the kids can't get it (in a
    locked cabinet?). Key switch to enable IR (remote control) extender?

    Hide the remote control.

    Chris Werner

    "No Spam Please" <q1m7ot001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    > How can I keep my kids from watching DVD's I manually copied to my replay
    ?

    > Thanks

    Delete them off of your ReplayTV or tell them you will spank them if
    they are caught watching your porn.

    >How can I keep my kids from watching DVD's I manually copied to my replay ?
    >
    >Thanks

    >Delete them off of your ReplayTV or tell them you will spank them if
    >they are caught watching your porn.

    I thought spanking the little monkey was the reason for porn in the first
    place. ;-)

    I suppose you could DVArchive these to your PC and stream them back when you
    want to see them.

    q1m7ot001@sneakemail.com (No Spam Please) wrote in

    > How can I keep my kids from watching DVD's I manually copied to my
    > replay ?
    >
    > Thanks

    All the other joke replies aside, this post got me wondering.
    My kids have grown up with RTV's and of course expect to watch their
    shows when they want. Even at 6 and 3 they can operate the equipment.

    The problem is the reading level of my 6 year old.
    She can and does read anything/everything.

    So the question is Parental Controls... Sure I can turn them on and not
    let her watch anything above a rating, like PG (which then in turn
    excludes pg13, R, AO, etc.). But RTV doesn't prevent her from reading
    either the channel guide (big difference between what is on mid-day on
    HBO Family versus HBO eastern), or the Show guide of stored content.

    I believe my cable company box will mask show content descriptions when
    parental controls are enabled.

    Anyone else dealing with this somehow?

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:11:09 GMT, Steph
    <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:

    >q1m7ot001@sneakemail.com (No Spam Please) wrote in
    >
    >> How can I keep my kids from watching DVD's I manually copied to my
    >> replay ?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >

    >All the other joke replies aside,

    I see a joke reply. Mine definately wasn't. There's another that
    doesn't look like it either.

    Why are you copying your DVDs to the Replay? This makes sense with
    tapes, for reasons that don't apply to DVDs. Also, there is the loss
    of quality with copying DVD to Replay.

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:15:31 -0500, John wrote:

    >On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:11:09 GMT, Steph
    ><CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:
    >
    >>q1m7ot001@sneakemail.com (No Spam Please) wrote in
    >>
    >>> How can I keep my kids from watching DVD's I manually copied to my
    >>> replay ?

    >I see a joke reply. Mine definately wasn't. There's another that
    >doesn't look like it either.
    >
    >Why are you copying your DVDs to the Replay? This makes sense with
    >tapes, for reasons that don't apply to DVDs.

    I have copied instructional DVDs to ReplayTV for the better video
    management features of ReplayTV. Also, once its on the ReplayTV, I
    can watch the instructional video from 3 different locations in the
    house without having to remember where I last put the DVD. It is
    handy for this purpose.

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:35:20 -0400, Remove _NOSPAM_
    <_NOSPAM_@nospam.com> wrote:

    >On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:15:31 -0500, John wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:11:09 GMT, Steph
    >><CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:
    >>
    >>>q1m7ot001@sneakemail.com (No Spam Please) wrote in

    >>I see a joke reply. Mine definately wasn't. There's another that
    >>doesn't look like it either.
    >>
    >>Why are you copying your DVDs to the Replay? This makes sense with
    >>tapes, for reasons that don't apply to DVDs.
    >
    >I have copied instructional DVDs to ReplayTV for the better video
    >management features of ReplayTV.

    In what way are they better? I may be interested in doing this.

    > Also, once its on the ReplayTV, I
    >can watch the instructional video from 3 different locations in the
    >house without having to remember where I last put the DVD. It is
    >handy for this purpose.

    That's one of the advantages of using the Replay, and the
    instructional video probably dosen't use the higher quality anyway.
    There are remote-controlled multi-disk DVD players, if that would
    help.

    As to the original question, a couple of people have posted general
    ways. I don't know of any SELECTIVE way (block these videos, but still
    allow Replay access).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    Please) wrote:

    >How can I keep my kids from watching DVD's I manually copied to my replay ?
    >
    >Thanks

    I don't know of a way to do that selectively (blocking those videos,
    but still allowing Replay use for other things). There's the
    possibility of using one of those multi-disk DVD players. Maybe one of
    them has access control.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    RTV is a lot better for playback than most DVD players. You can use the "jump"
    command to go to the exact spot you are interested in. With most DVD players
    you are screwing around with chapters and such. I have a sonic blue DVD player
    and it SUX if you are not planning on watching the DVD from start to finish.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >>Why are you copying your DVDs to the Replay?

    >I have copied instructional DVDs to ReplayTV for the better video
    >management features of ReplayTV.

    Which leads to the question: exactly what kind of "instructional DVDs" do you
    have to worry about your kids seeing?

    JGM
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    "No Spam Please" <q1m7ot001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    > How can I keep my kids from watching DVD's I manually copied to my replay
    ?

    I don't think you can.

    Parental Controls is the only mechanism I'm familiar with that would allow
    you to restrict access to videos/shows stored ON the ReplayTV. And, since
    it doesn't appear that you can assign Parental Control ratings to programs
    manually recorded off Inputs 1 & 2, your only option may be to store the
    Replay'd DVD videos over on your PC -- and then use DVArchive to control
    streaming access (possibly via a dedicated "adults-only" DVA instance).

    However, if the DVA route is an option you begin considering, know that the
    video files would then be accessible via the PC. You'd have to find a way
    to allow DVArchive to access and serve the files, but prevent direct viewing
    of the files. (Via file access controls or possibly by crippling the MPEG2
    codecs on your PC.)

    Hope this helps some.

    Regs,
    Karl K.

    p.s. Other reasons to record DVDs to ReplayTV... if you don't have time to
    watch a rented DVD; or if you're half-deaf, have glaucoma and can't afford
    the laser surgery because you just bought a second ReplayTV.

ReplayTV DVD Video Home Theatre