Will HDD format erase Vista?

lumpsums

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I've posted in general homebuilt about a serious problem I'm having. My computer starts as normal, reaches the desktop, loads some auto start programs and then restarts, stays in this loop. I had just taken apart and put back together my computer, and before all this, an update occurred (i just never restarted before disassembling and instead, only turned it back on after rebuilding).

Now this problem will not go away. I can run in safe mode.

I have tried "repair windows" from vista cd, but no problems detected.
I have ran memtest, no problems detected.
I have tried system restore, nothing after 5 hours.
I have tried replugging all data and power cords in.
I have chosen "install windows" from vista cd, but to no avail.
I have unchecked "Automatically Restart" in the My Computer System Startup and Recovery settings, and my computer is still resetting at the error.

When I am starting up for the few seconds my computer is trying to install drivers for my ATA and IDE drives it seems, and that's when the restart happens. I have to check my hard drive, but please.. to save me time, is it possible to clean this disk and install a fresh vista? or does it not work that way.

Still can only run in safe mode.

Solution
Try this:

Since you can boot into safe mode AND it seems that the crash happens when some ATA drivers are installing, go to device manager and delete all relevant ATA drivers, etc etc, then reboot. That should force Windows to detect all ATA devices from scratch and try to install the proper devices for them.
Yes as to the title question....

Do this:

1. Boot in safe mode
2. Type MSCONFIG in the search box and then either press enter on your keyboard or double-click on the MSCONFIG program that appears in the search results.
3. Go to start up tab and uncheck all the boxes
4. Reboot in normal mode
5. Once in windows, assuming you get there, check ONE of the boxes you previously unchecked and reboot
6. "Rinse and repeat" until you find the culprit.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Try this:

Since you can boot into safe mode AND it seems that the crash happens when some ATA drivers are installing, go to device manager and delete all relevant ATA drivers, etc etc, then reboot. That should force Windows to detect all ATA devices from scratch and try to install the proper devices for them.

Solution

lumpsums

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

well dark, I was in safe mode when I originally posted. after reading your advice, I uninstalled the ATA drivers and then restart.. whattya know, I am now in normal typing to you... so it didn't restart at the desktop's opening... new drivers just installed, and I'm going to restart my comp now. I have a question though.. if this all does work, what is it exactly that happened? if the drivers that just installed on my computer now that i am able to get this far, how do I know that they will not repeat the same scenario I had with the previous drivers? was it because a corrupted file, maybe because of an installation timing out or being stopped?? blah.. i guess it doesn't matter, I appreciate the help. I will repost in a few minutes, might just earn yourself a best answer nomination !

the MSCONFIG info was not necessary, not yet, but thank you also! I write everything down you guys tell me anyways.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Why it happened it does not really matter if your computer is stable (not overclocked, etc). It could be many many reasons, one major could be the fact the Windows did not have the chance to finalise the update because you took your PC apart and then just borked out. But it does not really matter. Now you know next time, let Windows restart and finish all the updates it needs to do and then shutdown and rebuilt the system.
Glad to know it worked! Kill another alien for us in Crysis! hehe
;)