Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Does OC affect SSD?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 4, 2012 10:36:30 PM

Hi, so I recently OC'd my i5 2500k to 4.2Ghz. After that, I received a BSOD while I was watching a dvd on my desktop. In bios, my SSD (patriot pyro se) was undetected - my SSD is in port 0 and it has the first priority during boot (windows 7 OS is installed in my SSD), which probably means the BSOD was caused by the undetected SSD.

My question is, do you think my ssd's BSOD was caused by my OC'd CPU? (Both my overclocking and BSOD occurred today!)

here are some of my PC components:
CPU: i5 2500k
mobo: asrock extreme3 gen3
ram: mushkin enhanced blackline 8gb
SSD: patriot pyro se 60gb

-thx...

More about : affect ssd

a c 150 K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 11:16:20 PM

Your BSOD is caused because you don't have enough voltage. BTW why are you just running an SSD? You should have a HDD as well. SSD's have limited writes!
m
l
June 4, 2012 11:24:35 PM

I have an ssd and two HDDs for storage but my OS is installed on my SSD. I increased my vcore and ran prime95 and everything seemed to run fine before I got the BSOD. It was probably due to my SSD not being detected anymore on my mobo.

I'm just curious to know if OCing can affect SSDs in a negative way.

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 110 K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 11:36:48 PM

imchant said:
I have an ssd and two HDDs for storage but my OS is installed on my SSD. I increased my vcore and ran prime95 and everything seemed to run fine before I got the BSOD. It was probably due to my SSD not being detected anymore on my mobo.

I'm just curious to know if OCing can affect SSDs in a negative way.

Not unless you increased the BCLK. Otherwise, OC'ing would have no effect on anything but the CPU.
a c 150 K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 11:40:35 PM

Possibly.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 11:45:47 PM

amuffin said:
Your BSOD is caused because you don't have enough voltage. BTW why are you just running an SSD? You should have a HDD as well. SSD's have limited writes!

a normal person will never reach a ssd's write limit.
m
l
June 5, 2012 12:02:54 AM

I just took out my sata cable and reapplied it to my motherboard and it seems to be working now. Maybe it was just a coincidence :S Anyhoo, im glad it works now.
m
l
June 5, 2012 12:03:04 AM

Best answer selected by imchant.
m
l
!