Can you use ReplayTV to record radio?

Can anyone give me a step by step on how you can record a radio program on
the Replay? And then is there a way to convert the program to mp3 on my
computer?
26 answers Last reply
More about replaytv record radio

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 05:28:16 GMT, "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com>
    wrote:

    >Can anyone give me a step by step on how you can record a radio program on
    >the Replay? And then is there a way to convert the program to mp3 on my
    >computer?

    I use a piece of software called, ironically, Replay Radio

    http://www.replay-radio.com/

    works pretty well

    "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in

    > Can anyone give me a step by step on how you can record a radio
    > program on the Replay? And then is there a way to convert the program
    > to mp3 on my computer?

    Not worth the effort, it would be simpler to record directly to your
    computer in MP3 format. IMHO

    Technically, to do what you ask you would attach the line-level audio
    outputs from your stereo to the inputs of the RTV. I am not sure, but I
    think if there is no video signal the RTv won't record, so you might
    need to loop the video out to the in and record.... something. I
    wouldn't do it for fear of <fill in your fear here>.

    To make the recording, you would most likely be limited to doing a
    manual recording event.

    Anyway, once you have the recording you would use the PC-based tool of
    choice (DVA is mine) to pull the show to your PC.

    Then use the tool of your choice to separate the video from the audio
    and then again the tool of your choice to convert that ripped audio (in
    AVI format most likely) to MP3.

    Much easier to use the in on your soundcard and create the MP3 directly.
    Same setup as "converting" your old vinyls to CD's.

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:18:57 GMT, Steph
    <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:

    >"Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in
    >
    >> Can anyone give me a step by step on how you can record a radio
    >> program on the Replay? And then is there a way to convert the program
    >> to mp3 on my computer?
    >>

    >Not worth the effort, it would be simpler to record directly to your
    >computer in MP3 format. IMHO
    >
    >Technically, to do what you ask you would attach the line-level audio
    >outputs from your stereo to the inputs of the RTV. I am not sure, but I
    >think if there is no video signal the RTv won't record, so you might
    >need to loop the video out to the in and record.... something. I
    >wouldn't do it for fear of <fill in your fear here>.

    That would be regenerative feedback, which won't hurt here. You'd get
    some strange-looking video it that happened but there should be no
    damage. You may also have some other video you can use (I've got my
    bird-feeder camera). You'd still need the proper software for the PC.

    There are problems with real-time processes on Windows, so video
    recorded on the PC will not be as good, but this is not likely to
    affect audio only that much.

    >To make the recording, you would most likely be limited to doing a
    >manual recording event.

    Yes, since Replay won't have schedules for radio.

    >Anyway, once you have the recording you would use the PC-based tool of
    >choice (DVA is mine) to pull the show to your PC.
    >
    >Then use the tool of your choice to separate the video from the audio
    >and then again the tool of your choice to convert that ripped audio (in
    >AVI format most likely) to MP3.

    AVI is an audio AND VIDEO format. Why would it be used here?

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    I've been using an inexpensive ($25) USB FM radio from D-Link along with
    free software called Radiator (flesko.cz/radiator.htm) which can
    schedule recordings.

    The whip antenna the D-link comes with is useless, but a $1.99 dipole
    from Radio Shack makes it perfect, even for distant and low powered
    stations. The radio may be out of production here in the US, but it
    shows up (along with the same product in a UK package) on eBay. Search
    for D-Link USB radio.

    Jerry

    Coppernob wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 05:28:16 GMT, "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Can anyone give me a step by step on how you can record a radio program on
    >>the Replay? And then is there a way to convert the program to mp3 on my
    >>computer?
    >>

    > I use a piece of software called, ironically, Replay Radio
    >
    > http://www.replay-radio.com/
    >
    > works pretty well
    I also use Replay Radio and have been happy with it.

    >>>Can anyone give me a step by step on how you can record a radio program on
    >>>the Replay? And then is there a way to convert the program to mp3 on my
    >>>computer?

    >> I use a piece of software called, ironically, Replay Radio
    >> http://www.replay-radio.com/
    >> works pretty well
    >I also use Replay Radio and have been happy with it.

    I just downloaded Replay 1.4 which is another program. Great
    selection of radio channels.

    I often wonder why people feel the need to nit-pick every response that
    is posted. Probably wouldn't bother me as much if they made their own
    response to the original poster, or did proper quoting. See previous
    thread about parental controls.

    Anyway to restate:

    The OP asked if they could record radio on their RTV toplay on a
    computer.

    I began by declaring IMHO it was not worth the effort.
    This was not disputed.

    Next I described the basic technical setup to achieve the OP process.
    Basically the audio input would obviously be required, plus some type of
    video input (a rtv requirement). Sure you could input a video from a
    camera or a VCR or the output from a cable box if not already in use.
    You could also loopback from the RTV to the RTV as I mentioned. This is
    the most common method for doing some other tasks, I personally don't
    like it because of the feedback resulting in a strange video. This may
    or may not bloat the size of the recording, in the case mentioned all
    the OP wanted was the audio, so a minimized file size with as little
    video data would be preferable [to me].

    There are other options to get the event reocrded without using a manual
    record, but it wouldn't be as easy, so it was mentioned.

    I did make an error and claim to use just a direct Audio to PC
    connection and reocrd directly to AVI, which as we all know I meant to
    record to WAV and convert to MP3 from there, or if you have software to
    hide that conversion it would appear to take the sound in and produce
    the MP3's directly.

    >>Much easier to use the in on your soundcard and create the MP3
    >>directly. Same setup as "converting" your old vinyls to CD's.

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 14:37:53 GMT, Steph
    <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:

    >I often wonder why people feel the need to nit-pick

    I have yet to see "nit-pick" used in any way that is not
    anti-intellectual and indicative of a bad attitude.

    >every response that
    >is posted. Probably wouldn't bother me as much if they made their own
    >response to the original poster, or did proper quoting. See previous
    >thread about parental controls.

    [snip]

    Don't you think a "Replay Radio" product would be successful? I wish
    I had this feature in my car radio. The idea of my car's radio
    automatically recording my favorite talk-radio shows and allowing me
    to replay them, fast-forward, rewind, skip commercials, etc. is rather
    appealing.

    I think the most difficult part of such a product would be the
    user-interface. It needs to be very intuitive so you can operate it
    without taking your eyes off the road.

    wrote:

    >Can anyone give me a step by step on how you can record a radio program on
    >the Replay? And then is there a way to convert the program to mp3 on my
    >computer?

  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 15:06:52 GMT, Marko <cantsay@here.com> wrote:

    >Don't you think a "Replay Radio" product would be successful? I wish
    >I had this feature in my car radio. The idea of my car's radio
    >automatically recording my favorite talk-radio shows and allowing me
    >to replay them, fast-forward, rewind, skip commercials, etc. is rather
    >appealing.

    I get so used to the ReplayTV that I often seem to be reachng for one
    of those buttons when listening to the car radio (like "quick skip"
    when an annoying commercial comes on).

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  11. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    This sounds like a use for an MP3 player. You can set up your PC to burn CDRWs
    and them play them anywhere. Most decent MP3 player software will do "skip". I
    use MPXPLAY, a DOS solution and it has skip that you can tailor to your needs.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On 09 Jul 2004 16:27:34 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

    >This sounds like a use for an MP3 player. You can set up your PC to burn CDRWs
    >and them play them anywhere. Most decent MP3 player software will do "skip". I
    >use MPXPLAY, a DOS solution and it has skip that you can tailor to your needs.

    No it isn't. Maybe you didn't notice that I said "radio" (and the

    Also, it's a good idea to quote what you're replying to, or an least
    identify WHO you're replying to. A lot of people have newsreaders set
    to display new messages only, and it can be harder to determine that

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  13. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >No it isn't. Maybe you didn't notice that I said "radio

    Didn't this thread spend about 2 days talking about a PC program to record
    radio shows?

    >and also that this was in the car.

    I have a pc based MP3 player in my car

    Is that easier to follow?
  14. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On 09 Jul 2004 22:25:19 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

    >>No it isn't. Maybe you didn't notice that I said "radio
    >
    >Didn't this thread spend about 2 days talking about a PC program to record
    >radio shows?

    It started on the 6th with a question about recording from radio. That
    question has not been answered. I would like to see an answer to it.

    >>and also that this was in the car.
    >
    >I have a pc based MP3 player in my car

    That's good. I was still talking about RADIO.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  15. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    >It started on the 6th with a question about recording from radio. That
    >question has not been answered. I would like to see an answer to it.

    I was sure they said they had a device that plugged into a USB port and DID
    record radio as an MP3 file. That got us to how you play it back in a car with
    a way to skip <commercials> and I suggested an MP3 player. Why is this so hard
    to follow. Should I quote the whole thread?
  16. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On 10 Jul 2004 00:48:35 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

    >>It started on the 6th with a question about recording from radio. That
    >>question has not been answered. I would like to see an answer to it.
    >
    >I was sure they said they had a device that plugged into a USB port and DID
    >record radio as an MP3 file. That got us to how you play it back in a car with
    >a way to skip <commercials> and I suggested an MP3 player. Why is this so hard
    >to follow. Should I quote the whole thread?

    You replied to my post. I said nothing about USB, but was talking
    about a car radio.

    The post I replied to said nothing about USB, but was talking about a
    "Replay Radio" product.

    The post THAT was a reply to (The First post in this thread) said
    nothing about USB, but was asking about recording radio on the Replay.

    Another poster did mention USB, but it was not a post you replied to
    and was not a question.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  17. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Sorry for the confusion, carry on
  18. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 15:06:52 GMT, Marko <cantsay@here.com> wrote:

    >Don't you think a "Replay Radio" product would be successful?

    There *is* a "free" down-loadable application called
    Replay Radio see www.replay-radio,com
    Tried it, then put it in the category of annoy-ware (kept hustling
    to convert to $$$ status) so deleted it. But your mileage may vary.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    "Coppernob" <alexnorton@despammed.com> wrote in message
    > I use a piece of software called, ironically, Replay Radio
    >
    > http://www.replay-radio.com/
    >
    > works pretty well

    Ditto. I also use Replay-Radio, and am currently using it to record
    STREAMED radio directly to my PC. However, I'm also feeding audio/video
    from my PC over to my ReplayTV, allowing me to time-shift live
    Replay-Radio'd programs -- and to manually record, every day, one program I
    can't live without (and don't want to wait until the end to begin
    listening).

    I would only caution you not to bring ReplayTV expectations to your Replay
    Radio experience. Replay Radio can't time-shift, and you can't listen to
    other audio while recording. Still, it can be very useful.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    > On 09 Jul 2004 22:25:19 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:
    > >Didn't this thread spend about 2 days talking about a PC program to
    record
    > >radio shows?
    >
    > It started on the 6th with a question about recording from radio. That
    > question has not been answered. I would like to see an answer to it.

    Actually, the original question *was* answered, within 3 hours, by "Steph."
    It can be done, though kludgily, and Steph was kind enough to outline the
    process.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:21:04 GMT, "Karl Kaufman"
    <krkweb@comNOcastSPAM.net> wrote:

    >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    >> On 09 Jul 2004 22:25:19 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:
    >> >Didn't this thread spend about 2 days talking about a PC program to
    >record
    >> >radio shows?
    >>
    >> It started on the 6th with a question about recording from radio. That
    >> question has not been answered. I would like to see an answer to it.
    >
    >Actually, the original question *was* answered, within 3 hours, by "Steph."
    >It can be done, though kludgily, and Steph was kind enough to outline the
    >process.

    Sorry I missed that.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  22. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    "Karl Kaufman" <krkweb@comNOcastSPAM.net> wrote in

    > "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
    >> On 09 Jul 2004 22:25:19 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:
    >> >Didn't this thread spend about 2 days talking about a PC program to
    > record
    >> >radio shows?
    >>
    >> It started on the 6th with a question about recording from radio.
    >> That question has not been answered. I would like to see an answer to
    >> it.
    >
    > Actually, the original question *was* answered, within 3 hours, by
    > "Steph." It can be done, though kludgily, and Steph was kind enough to
    > outline the process.

    Thank you, it is so nice to be noticed <g>
    Please recall I mistyped in the preferred method to record direct AVI,
    when I meant direct to WAV. Or of course if possible direct to the
    desired format (in this case MP3).

    I think I got the AVI on the brain when also answering the OP question
    about splitting the audio and video contents from a MPEG (which would be
    split to WAV and AVI normally, and the WAV would then be converted to
    MP3).
  23. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > >Don't you think a "Replay Radio" product would be successful?
    >
    > There *is* a "free" down-loadable application called
    > Replay Radio see www.replay-radio,com but it's disappointing. Obviously what would be pleasing is a stand alone or car radio, beach radio, walkman, whatever, that you could freeze while listenning, like you can do with replay and tivo. Now its so nice to hear other people think like me, as in
    > >Don't you think a "Replay Radio" product would be successful? I
    think it might indeed be successful, but at the same time would do a
    lot of damage if popularized to satellite radio and commercial radio,
    the on going de3livery systems. Sonce profitability trumps consumer
    delight nearly every time, (nearly or regularly) don't be looking for
    one of these replay radios any time soon. But for your living room
    using a tivo system audio only, not for recording mind you but for the
    convenience of pausing while listenning, doesn't seem to have any
    forseeable difficulties. use the rca inputs, as though you were
    recording from a vcr, but hook up a radio insteasd of the vcr as the
    sound source.

    Plus, your 40 hour video recorder becomes an 800 hour audio I know
    that because my dish network has music only sources, and that showed
    this great increase in capacity. I hope I can do this audio only
    radio thing, and use my cd collection as the source. That would give
    me the thousands of songs of the largest ipod, or more. Might not
    index as well, but its one heck of a random source system for my
    entire music collection, which is at least 2000+ hours since I had the
    best time with Napster. What a loss to the public good that
    was. Now I go to the library and take out up to a hundred cds at a
    time, download them to my harddrive, and now, hopefully, to my 60 gig
    incredible number ofr hours of music. I don't know, maybe its only me,
    but I like a continuous flow of music of my choice that I can stop or
    skip back with ease, like tivo and replay, but, its so clear to me how
    nice the audio only tivo would be pumped through a big amplifier.

    But the radio replay raido idea, just for listenning to am talk radio
    at home and skipping commercials, pausing forincoming phone calls or
    trying to get past the screener, well, that's a wonderful product. I
    will probably have mine up and running soon, and then rarely use it.
    But that's the idea. having some tools to use or show off once in a
    while. But as I said, there would be a supply-side reluctance to
    produce a tivo-like radio. Not because of concerns about consumer
    interest. It does appear to be a likable useful convenient product,
    potehntialy lucrative. So maybe they'll bring one out and promote
    it. I am certain no such thing currently exists. Have the evey
    thought of it? No way to tell. Should we pester them to think about
    it? Probably a waste of time. Not every likely product sees the
    light of day.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    The Replay Radio PC product works great. I use it all the time. Of
    course it's PC based, and you need to be somewhat PC-centric to use
    it, but it will do all the nifty features of a Replay TV, including
    picking shows from a guide, recording at preset times, and you can
    even skip over ads with the optional Replay Player add-on.

    The Replay Radio home page is here:
    www.replay-radio.com

    Q16@EARTHLINK.NET (DAN) wrote in message news:<5e3c0f29.0407262012.5ff64c71@posting.google.com>...
    > > >Don't you think a "Replay Radio" product would be successful?
    > >
    > > There *is* a "free" down-loadable application called
    > > Replay Radio see www.replay-radio,com but it's disappointing. Obviously what would be pleasing is a stand alone or car radio, beach radio, walkman, whatever, that you could freeze while listenning, like you can do with replay and tivo. Now its so nice to hear other people think like me, as in
    > > >Don't you think a "Replay Radio" product would be successful? I
    > think it might indeed be successful, but at the same time would do a
    > lot of damage if popularized to satellite radio and commercial radio,
    > the on going de3livery systems. Sonce profitability trumps consumer
    > delight nearly every time, (nearly or regularly) don't be looking for
    > one of these replay radios any time soon. But for your living room
    > using a tivo system audio only, not for recording mind you but for the
    > convenience of pausing while listenning, doesn't seem to have any
    > forseeable difficulties. use the rca inputs, as though you were
    > recording from a vcr, but hook up a radio insteasd of the vcr as the
    > sound source.
    >
    > Plus, your 40 hour video recorder becomes an 800 hour audio I know
    > that because my dish network has music only sources, and that showed
    > this great increase in capacity. I hope I can do this audio only
    > radio thing, and use my cd collection as the source. That would give
    > me the thousands of songs of the largest ipod, or more. Might not
    > index as well, but its one heck of a random source system for my
    > entire music collection, which is at least 2000+ hours since I had the
    > best time with Napster. What a loss to the public good that
    > was. Now I go to the library and take out up to a hundred cds at a
    > time, download them to my harddrive, and now, hopefully, to my 60 gig
    > incredible number ofr hours of music. I don't know, maybe its only me,
    > but I like a continuous flow of music of my choice that I can stop or
    > skip back with ease, like tivo and replay, but, its so clear to me how
    > nice the audio only tivo would be pumped through a big amplifier.
    >
    > But the radio replay raido idea, just for listenning to am talk radio
    > at home and skipping commercials, pausing forincoming phone calls or
    > trying to get past the screener, well, that's a wonderful product. I
    > will probably have mine up and running soon, and then rarely use it.
    > But that's the idea. having some tools to use or show off once in a
    > while. But as I said, there would be a supply-side reluctance to
    > produce a tivo-like radio. Not because of concerns about consumer
    > interest. It does appear to be a likable useful convenient product,
    > potehntialy lucrative. So maybe they'll bring one out and promote
    > it. I am certain no such thing currently exists. Have the evey
    > thought of it? No way to tell. Should we pester them to think about
    > it? Probably a waste of time. Not every likely product sees the
    > light of day.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    > Don't you think a "Replay Radio" product would be successful? I wish
    > I had this feature in my car radio.

    http://www.ccrane.com/radio-yourway-accessory.aspx
    Although this isn't a car radio, it is a radio that can record live radio or
    be set to record up to 10 shows. There aren't any local stations in my area
    that are worth paying $180 to record, though.

    A device that could be set up to record Sirius or XM programming would be
    pretty cool (especially if it had commercial advance).
  26. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    Verizon User wrote:

    > Can anyone give me a step by step on how you can record a radio program on
    > the Replay? And then is there a way to convert the program to mp3 on my
    > computer?

    I know this is a reply to an old message but here is how I record radio
    to my computer

    First, the radio station I record streams to the internet so I open the
    stream in either Windows Media player (On the 1.8 GHz XP box) or Music
    Match Jukebox (on the 0.366 GHz win-98se box) and use Total Recorder

    Note, Since I'm often asleep or out of the house when the shows start I
    use "Scheduled Events" to open the media player or jukebox, and Total
    Recorder's timed record feature to open and start the recorder

    Works... Well... Great

ReplayTV Radio Video Home Theatre