Can you use ReplayTV to record radio?

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 6, 2004 9:28:16 AM

Can anyone give me a step by step on how you can record a radio program on
the Replay? And then is there a way to convert the program to mp3 on my
computer?

More about : replaytv record radio

Anonymous
July 6, 2004 8:41:28 PM

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 05:28:16 GMT, "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com>
wrote:

>Can anyone give me a step by step on how you can record a radio program on
>the Replay? And then is there a way to convert the program to mp3 on my
>computer?

I use a piece of software called, ironically, Replay Radio

http://www.replay-radio.com/

works pretty well
July 7, 2004 12:18:57 AM

"Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in

> Can anyone give me a step by step on how you can record a radio
> program on the Replay? And then is there a way to convert the program
> to mp3 on my computer?

Not worth the effort, it would be simpler to record directly to your
computer in MP3 format. IMHO

Technically, to do what you ask you would attach the line-level audio
outputs from your stereo to the inputs of the RTV. I am not sure, but I
think if there is no video signal the RTv won't record, so you might
need to loop the video out to the in and record.... something. I
wouldn't do it for fear of <fill in your fear here>.

To make the recording, you would most likely be limited to doing a
manual recording event.

Anyway, once you have the recording you would use the PC-based tool of
choice (DVA is mine) to pull the show to your PC.

Then use the tool of your choice to separate the video from the audio
and then again the tool of your choice to convert that ripped audio (in
AVI format most likely) to MP3.

Much easier to use the in on your soundcard and create the MP3 directly.
Same setup as "converting" your old vinyls to CD's.
July 7, 2004 12:18:58 AM

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:18:57 GMT, Steph
<CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:

>"Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in
>
>> Can anyone give me a step by step on how you can record a radio
>> program on the Replay? And then is there a way to convert the program
>> to mp3 on my computer?
>>

>Not worth the effort, it would be simpler to record directly to your
>computer in MP3 format. IMHO
>
>Technically, to do what you ask you would attach the line-level audio
>outputs from your stereo to the inputs of the RTV. I am not sure, but I
>think if there is no video signal the RTv won't record, so you might
>need to loop the video out to the in and record.... something. I
>wouldn't do it for fear of <fill in your fear here>.

That would be regenerative feedback, which won't hurt here. You'd get
some strange-looking video it that happened but there should be no
damage. You may also have some other video you can use (I've got my
bird-feeder camera). You'd still need the proper software for the PC.

There are problems with real-time processes on Windows, so video
recorded on the PC will not be as good, but this is not likely to
affect audio only that much.

>To make the recording, you would most likely be limited to doing a
>manual recording event.

Yes, since Replay won't have schedules for radio.

>Anyway, once you have the recording you would use the PC-based tool of
>choice (DVA is mine) to pull the show to your PC.
>
>Then use the tool of your choice to separate the video from the audio
>and then again the tool of your choice to convert that ripped audio (in
>AVI format most likely) to MP3.

AVI is an audio AND VIDEO format. Why would it be used here?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I've been using an inexpensive ($25) USB FM radio from D-Link along with
free software called Radiator (flesko.cz/radiator.htm) which can
schedule recordings.

The whip antenna the D-link comes with is useless, but a $1.99 dipole
from Radio Shack makes it perfect, even for distant and low powered
stations. The radio may be out of production here in the US, but it
shows up (along with the same product in a UK package) on eBay. Search
for D-Link USB radio.

Jerry

Coppernob wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 05:28:16 GMT, "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Can anyone give me a step by step on how you can record a radio program on
>>the Replay? And then is there a way to convert the program to mp3 on my
>>computer?
>>

> I use a piece of software called, ironically, Replay Radio
>
> http://www.replay-radio.com/
>
> works pretty well
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 10:26:50 PM

Coppernob wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 05:28:16 GMT, "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Can anyone give me a step by step on how you can record a radio program on
>>the Replay? And then is there a way to convert the program to mp3 on my
>>computer?
>>

> I use a piece of software called, ironically, Replay Radio
>
> http://www.replay-radio.com/
>
> works pretty well
I also use Replay Radio and have been happy with it.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 11:19:26 PM

>>>Can anyone give me a step by step on how you can record a radio program on
>>>the Replay? And then is there a way to convert the program to mp3 on my
>>>computer?

>> I use a piece of software called, ironically, Replay Radio
>> http://www.replay-radio.com/
>> works pretty well
>I also use Replay Radio and have been happy with it.

I just downloaded Replay 1.4 which is another program. Great
selection of radio channels.
July 8, 2004 6:37:53 PM

I often wonder why people feel the need to nit-pick every response that
is posted. Probably wouldn't bother me as much if they made their own
response to the original poster, or did proper quoting. See previous
thread about parental controls.

Anyway to restate:

The OP asked if they could record radio on their RTV toplay on a
computer.

I began by declaring IMHO it was not worth the effort.
This was not disputed.

Next I described the basic technical setup to achieve the OP process.
Basically the audio input would obviously be required, plus some type of
video input (a rtv requirement). Sure you could input a video from a
camera or a VCR or the output from a cable box if not already in use.
You could also loopback from the RTV to the RTV as I mentioned. This is
the most common method for doing some other tasks, I personally don't
like it because of the feedback resulting in a strange video. This may
or may not bloat the size of the recording, in the case mentioned all
the OP wanted was the audio, so a minimized file size with as little
video data would be preferable [to me].

There are other options to get the event reocrded without using a manual
record, but it wouldn't be as easy, so it was mentioned.

I did make an error and claim to use just a direct Audio to PC
connection and reocrd directly to AVI, which as we all know I meant to
record to WAV and convert to MP3 from there, or if you have software to
hide that conversion it would appear to take the sound in and produce
the MP3's directly.

>>Much easier to use the in on your soundcard and create the MP3
>>directly. Same setup as "converting" your old vinyls to CD's.

July 8, 2004 6:37:54 PM

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 14:37:53 GMT, Steph
<CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:

>I often wonder why people feel the need to nit-pick

I have yet to see "nit-pick" used in any way that is not
anti-intellectual and indicative of a bad attitude.

>every response that
>is posted. Probably wouldn't bother me as much if they made their own
>response to the original poster, or did proper quoting. See previous
>thread about parental controls.

[snip]
July 9, 2004 7:06:52 PM

Don't you think a "Replay Radio" product would be successful? I wish
I had this feature in my car radio. The idea of my car's radio
automatically recording my favorite talk-radio shows and allowing me
to replay them, fast-forward, rewind, skip commercials, etc. is rather
appealing.

I think the most difficult part of such a product would be the
user-interface. It needs to be very intuitive so you can operate it
without taking your eyes off the road.

wrote:

>Can anyone give me a step by step on how you can record a radio program on
>the Replay? And then is there a way to convert the program to mp3 on my
>computer?

Anonymous
July 9, 2004 7:06:53 PM

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 15:06:52 GMT, Marko <cantsay@here.com> wrote:

>Don't you think a "Replay Radio" product would be successful? I wish
>I had this feature in my car radio. The idea of my car's radio
>automatically recording my favorite talk-radio shows and allowing me
>to replay them, fast-forward, rewind, skip commercials, etc. is rather
>appealing.

I get so used to the ReplayTV that I often seem to be reachng for one
of those buttons when listening to the car radio (like "quick skip"
when an annoying commercial comes on).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
July 9, 2004 8:27:34 PM

This sounds like a use for an MP3 player. You can set up your PC to burn CDRWs
and them play them anywhere. Most decent MP3 player software will do "skip". I
use MPXPLAY, a DOS solution and it has skip that you can tailor to your needs.
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 8:27:35 PM

On 09 Jul 2004 16:27:34 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

>This sounds like a use for an MP3 player. You can set up your PC to burn CDRWs
>and them play them anywhere. Most decent MP3 player software will do "skip". I
>use MPXPLAY, a DOS solution and it has skip that you can tailor to your needs.

No it isn't. Maybe you didn't notice that I said "radio" (and the

Also, it's a good idea to quote what you're replying to, or an least
identify WHO you're replying to. A lot of people have newsreaders set
to display new messages only, and it can be harder to determine that

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
July 10, 2004 2:25:19 AM

>No it isn't. Maybe you didn't notice that I said "radio

Didn't this thread spend about 2 days talking about a PC program to record
radio shows?

>and also that this was in the car.

I have a pc based MP3 player in my car

Is that easier to follow?
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 2:25:20 AM

On 09 Jul 2004 22:25:19 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

>>No it isn't. Maybe you didn't notice that I said "radio
>
>Didn't this thread spend about 2 days talking about a PC program to record
>radio shows?

It started on the 6th with a question about recording from radio. That
question has not been answered. I would like to see an answer to it.

>>and also that this was in the car.
>
>I have a pc based MP3 player in my car

That's good. I was still talking about RADIO.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
July 10, 2004 4:48:35 AM

>It started on the 6th with a question about recording from radio. That
>question has not been answered. I would like to see an answer to it.

I was sure they said they had a device that plugged into a USB port and DID
record radio as an MP3 file. That got us to how you play it back in a car with
a way to skip <commercials> and I suggested an MP3 player. Why is this so hard
to follow. Should I quote the whole thread?
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 4:48:36 AM

On 10 Jul 2004 00:48:35 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

>>It started on the 6th with a question about recording from radio. That
>>question has not been answered. I would like to see an answer to it.
>
>I was sure they said they had a device that plugged into a USB port and DID
>record radio as an MP3 file. That got us to how you play it back in a car with
>a way to skip <commercials> and I suggested an MP3 player. Why is this so hard
>to follow. Should I quote the whole thread?

You replied to my post. I said nothing about USB, but was talking
about a car radio.

The post I replied to said nothing about USB, but was talking about a
"Replay Radio" product.

The post THAT was a reply to (The First post in this thread) said
nothing about USB, but was asking about recording radio on the Replay.

Another poster did mention USB, but it was not a post you replied to
and was not a question.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
July 10, 2004 5:31:36 AM

Sorry for the confusion, carry on
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 1:51:44 PM

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 15:06:52 GMT, Marko <cantsay@here.com> wrote:

>Don't you think a "Replay Radio" product would be successful?

There *is* a "free" down-loadable application called
Replay Radio see www.replay-radio,com
Tried it, then put it in the category of annoy-ware (kept hustling
to convert to $$$ status) so deleted it. But your mileage may vary.
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 7:21:03 PM

"Coppernob" <alexnorton@despammed.com> wrote in message
> I use a piece of software called, ironically, Replay Radio
>
> http://www.replay-radio.com/
>
> works pretty well

Ditto. I also use Replay-Radio, and am currently using it to record
STREAMED radio directly to my PC. However, I'm also feeding audio/video
from my PC over to my ReplayTV, allowing me to time-shift live
Replay-Radio'd programs -- and to manually record, every day, one program I
can't live without (and don't want to wait until the end to begin
listening).

I would only caution you not to bring ReplayTV expectations to your Replay
Radio experience. Replay Radio can't time-shift, and you can't listen to
other audio while recording. Still, it can be very useful.
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 7:21:04 PM

"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
> On 09 Jul 2004 22:25:19 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:
> >Didn't this thread spend about 2 days talking about a PC program to
record
> >radio shows?
>
> It started on the 6th with a question about recording from radio. That
> question has not been answered. I would like to see an answer to it.

Actually, the original question *was* answered, within 3 hours, by "Steph."
It can be done, though kludgily, and Steph was kind enough to outline the
process.
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 7:28:30 PM

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:21:04 GMT, "Karl Kaufman"
<krkweb@comNOcastSPAM.net> wrote:

>"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
>> On 09 Jul 2004 22:25:19 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:
>> >Didn't this thread spend about 2 days talking about a PC program to
>record
>> >radio shows?
>>
>> It started on the 6th with a question about recording from radio. That
>> question has not been answered. I would like to see an answer to it.
>
>Actually, the original question *was* answered, within 3 hours, by "Steph."
>It can be done, though kludgily, and Steph was kind enough to outline the
>process.

Sorry I missed that.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
July 14, 2004 9:38:08 PM

"Karl Kaufman" <krkweb@comNOcastSPAM.net> wrote in

> "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
>> On 09 Jul 2004 22:25:19 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:
>> >Didn't this thread spend about 2 days talking about a PC program to
> record
>> >radio shows?
>>
>> It started on the 6th with a question about recording from radio.
>> That question has not been answered. I would like to see an answer to
>> it.
>
> Actually, the original question *was* answered, within 3 hours, by
> "Steph." It can be done, though kludgily, and Steph was kind enough to
> outline the process.

Thank you, it is so nice to be noticed <g>
Please recall I mistyped in the preferred method to record direct AVI,
when I meant direct to WAV. Or of course if possible direct to the
desired format (in this case MP3).

I think I got the AVI on the brain when also answering the OP question
about splitting the audio and video contents from a MPEG (which would be
split to WAV and AVI normally, and the WAV would then be converted to
MP3).
July 27, 2004 1:12:49 AM

> >Don't you think a "Replay Radio" product would be successful?
>
> There *is* a "free" down-loadable application called
> Replay Radio see www.replay-radio,com but it's disappointing. Obviously what would be pleasing is a stand alone or car radio, beach radio, walkman, whatever, that you could freeze while listenning, like you can do with replay and tivo. Now its so nice to hear other people think like me, as in
> >Don't you think a "Replay Radio" product would be successful? I
think it might indeed be successful, but at the same time would do a
lot of damage if popularized to satellite radio and commercial radio,
the on going de3livery systems. Sonce profitability trumps consumer
delight nearly every time, (nearly or regularly) don't be looking for
one of these replay radios any time soon. But for your living room
using a tivo system audio only, not for recording mind you but for the
convenience of pausing while listenning, doesn't seem to have any
forseeable difficulties. use the rca inputs, as though you were
recording from a vcr, but hook up a radio insteasd of the vcr as the
sound source.

Plus, your 40 hour video recorder becomes an 800 hour audio I know
that because my dish network has music only sources, and that showed
this great increase in capacity. I hope I can do this audio only
radio thing, and use my cd collection as the source. That would give
me the thousands of songs of the largest ipod, or more. Might not
index as well, but its one heck of a random source system for my
entire music collection, which is at least 2000+ hours since I had the
best time with Napster. What a loss to the public good that
was. Now I go to the library and take out up to a hundred cds at a
time, download them to my harddrive, and now, hopefully, to my 60 gig
incredible number ofr hours of music. I don't know, maybe its only me,
but I like a continuous flow of music of my choice that I can stop or
skip back with ease, like tivo and replay, but, its so clear to me how
nice the audio only tivo would be pumped through a big amplifier.

But the radio replay raido idea, just for listenning to am talk radio
at home and skipping commercials, pausing forincoming phone calls or
trying to get past the screener, well, that's a wonderful product. I
will probably have mine up and running soon, and then rarely use it.
But that's the idea. having some tools to use or show off once in a
while. But as I said, there would be a supply-side reluctance to
produce a tivo-like radio. Not because of concerns about consumer
interest. It does appear to be a likable useful convenient product,
potehntialy lucrative. So maybe they'll bring one out and promote
it. I am certain no such thing currently exists. Have the evey
thought of it? No way to tell. Should we pester them to think about
it? Probably a waste of time. Not every likely product sees the
light of day.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 2:16:06 PM

The Replay Radio PC product works great. I use it all the time. Of
course it's PC based, and you need to be somewhat PC-centric to use
it, but it will do all the nifty features of a Replay TV, including
picking shows from a guide, recording at preset times, and you can
even skip over ads with the optional Replay Player add-on.

The Replay Radio home page is here:
www.replay-radio.com

Q16@EARTHLINK.NET (DAN) wrote in message news:<5e3c0f29.0407262012.5ff64c71@posting.google.com>...
> > >Don't you think a "Replay Radio" product would be successful?
> >
> > There *is* a "free" down-loadable application called
> > Replay Radio see www.replay-radio,com but it's disappointing. Obviously what would be pleasing is a stand alone or car radio, beach radio, walkman, whatever, that you could freeze while listenning, like you can do with replay and tivo. Now its so nice to hear other people think like me, as in
> > >Don't you think a "Replay Radio" product would be successful? I
> think it might indeed be successful, but at the same time would do a
> lot of damage if popularized to satellite radio and commercial radio,
> the on going de3livery systems. Sonce profitability trumps consumer
> delight nearly every time, (nearly or regularly) don't be looking for
> one of these replay radios any time soon. But for your living room
> using a tivo system audio only, not for recording mind you but for the
> convenience of pausing while listenning, doesn't seem to have any
> forseeable difficulties. use the rca inputs, as though you were
> recording from a vcr, but hook up a radio insteasd of the vcr as the
> sound source.
>
> Plus, your 40 hour video recorder becomes an 800 hour audio I know
> that because my dish network has music only sources, and that showed
> this great increase in capacity. I hope I can do this audio only
> radio thing, and use my cd collection as the source. That would give
> me the thousands of songs of the largest ipod, or more. Might not
> index as well, but its one heck of a random source system for my
> entire music collection, which is at least 2000+ hours since I had the
> best time with Napster. What a loss to the public good that
> was. Now I go to the library and take out up to a hundred cds at a
> time, download them to my harddrive, and now, hopefully, to my 60 gig
> incredible number ofr hours of music. I don't know, maybe its only me,
> but I like a continuous flow of music of my choice that I can stop or
> skip back with ease, like tivo and replay, but, its so clear to me how
> nice the audio only tivo would be pumped through a big amplifier.
>
> But the radio replay raido idea, just for listenning to am talk radio
> at home and skipping commercials, pausing forincoming phone calls or
> trying to get past the screener, well, that's a wonderful product. I
> will probably have mine up and running soon, and then rarely use it.
> But that's the idea. having some tools to use or show off once in a
> while. But as I said, there would be a supply-side reluctance to
> produce a tivo-like radio. Not because of concerns about consumer
> interest. It does appear to be a likable useful convenient product,
> potehntialy lucrative. So maybe they'll bring one out and promote
> it. I am certain no such thing currently exists. Have the evey
> thought of it? No way to tell. Should we pester them to think about
> it? Probably a waste of time. Not every likely product sees the
> light of day.
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 2:29:23 PM

> Don't you think a "Replay Radio" product would be successful? I wish
> I had this feature in my car radio.

http://www.ccrane.com/radio-yourway-accessory.aspx
Although this isn't a car radio, it is a radio that can record live radio or
be set to record up to 10 shows. There aren't any local stations in my area
that are worth paying $180 to record, though.

A device that could be set up to record Sirius or XM programming would be
pretty cool (especially if it had commercial advance).
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 6:36:19 PM

Verizon User wrote:

> Can anyone give me a step by step on how you can record a radio program on
> the Replay? And then is there a way to convert the program to mp3 on my
> computer?

I know this is a reply to an old message but here is how I record radio
to my computer

First, the radio station I record streams to the internet so I open the
stream in either Windows Media player (On the 1.8 GHz XP box) or Music
Match Jukebox (on the 0.366 GHz win-98se box) and use Total Recorder

Note, Since I'm often asleep or out of the house when the shows start I
use "Scheduled Events" to open the media player or jukebox, and Total
Recorder's timed record feature to open and start the recorder

Works... Well... Great
!