Sign in with
Your question

Wireless Router and Cards

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 9, 2010 9:36:51 PM

I have a wireless n adapter that is the same speed as my wireless g adapter.

Router: Netgear Rangemax WNR834M

Wireless G Card: Trendnet TEW423PI

Wireless N Card: Trendnet TEW643PI

When I first installed the Wireless N card, the speeds were at 120Mbps and was working great, now it is getting only 54Mbps. The router is configured for b/g/n cards, wep security. I reinstalled the program/drivers for the card, thinking maybe that would help but still getting 54Mbps. Has anyone had this problem and how do I fix it? Thanks in advance for any help.

More about : wireless router cards

a b F Wireless
March 9, 2010 10:30:25 PM

You probably initially had the wireless router in N-only mode for testing the N adapter. But in order for the wireless G adapter to work, the wireless router needs to be MIXED mode. Problem is, mixed mode will always reduce your performance to the lesser of the two protocols.
m
l
March 9, 2010 11:01:25 PM

My wireless settings are set to 11n Max Speed, not mixed mode. The wireless G cards are still working. It shows on the site monitor that the router is putting out b/g/n signals at a speed of 270.
m
l
a b F Wireless
March 9, 2010 11:38:58 PM

lsgirl said:
My wireless settings are set to 11n Max Speed, not mixed mode. The wireless G cards are still working. It shows on the site monitor that the router is putting out b/g/n signals at a speed of 270.

If your router is supporting b/g/n, that's mixed mode, by definition.

Btw, those speeds reported by site monitor and even Windows are completely bogus. They don't reflect real world, measured speeds. They're simply estimates based on the signal quality. That’s like determining how long it will take you to drive from point A to point B based on the weather; it’s certainly something to consider, but all kinds of other things can happen along the way to impact your time (accidents, traffic congestion, getting lost, etc.). Your actual performance it typically far, far less than those numbers due to interference, transmission errors, etc. My own wireless connection is reporting 54mbps, but is actually closer to 15mbps when measured. So you can basically throw those numbers out the window.
m
l
!