Solved

Graphics card size help

Simple enough question, i have a dimension 9200 dell pc with a geforce 7900GS in it and looking to upgrade to a Geforce GTX 275. I never seen the 275 in person so im not sure how big it is. What is the size difference of these card? here is two screen shots to give you an idea of how much room i have. From what ive heard i should have no problem installing it since i already have a reasonably good card already.
:bounce:
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q27/zimzthegnome/2009-09-0816-11-58000.jpg
:bounce:
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q27/zimzthegnome/2009-09-0816-12-19593.jpg
:bounce:
Thanks to everyone who replies. please feel free to add any comments, or tips.
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphics card size help
  1. Another important concern is your PSU. You will probably have to upgrade that as the 275 uses a decent bit of power.
  2. oh yah good observation i will have to upgrade... darn...
  3. Which CPU do you have in that 9200 they came with pentium D and core2duo. the highest rated card recommended for your current 375watt PSU would be GTS250 it is a big step up from the 7900GS. Anything higher rated would be chocked on potential if you have a pentium D
  4. Excellent point. The best for your system is probably more in the 4770/GTS250 range, or even perhaps 4670 is the RAM/CPU is weak.
  5. rolli59 said:
    Which CPU do you have in that 9200 they came with pentium D and core2duo. the highest rated card recommended for your current 375watt PSU would be GTS250 it is a big step up from the 7900GS. Anything higher rated would be chocked on potential if you have a pentium D

    i have the dual core, with 2 gb of ram atm. ill pick up another two sometime.
  6. EXT64 said:
    Excellent point. The best for your system is probably more in the 4770/GTS250 range, or even perhaps 4670 is the RAM/CPU is weak.

    i have the a dual core, with 2 gb of ram. ill pick up another 2gb, thats easy stuff.
  7. zimzthegnome said:
    i have the a dual core, with 2 gb of ram. ill pick up another 2gb, thats easy stuff.

    Pentium D dual core or core2duo?
  8. rolli59 said:
    Pentium D dual core or core2duo?

    intel dual core.
  9. Could you download and run CPU-Z ( http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php ) and post a screenshot so we can see exact clockspeed and settings? Thanks.
  10. EXT64 said:
    Could you download and run CPU-Z ( http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php ) and post a screenshot so we can see exact clockspeed and settings? Thanks.


    http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q27/zimzthegnome/fty.jpg

    http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q27/zimzthegnome/Untitled.jpg

    added my motherboard in there if anyone was wondering.
  11. Ah, that is encouraging. An E6600 is a good chip, even when not OC'ed.
  12. Since you have the core2duo E6600 you have more options. If you go with your original plan of upgrading to GTX275 you need to upgrade your PSU. You could as well consider a HD5770 which has a good change of running on your current PSU, it will be a major upgrade from your 7900GS and match very well with your CPU.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446.html
  13. rolli59 said:
    Since you have the core2duo E6600 you have more options. If you go with your original plan of upgrading to GTX275 you need to upgrade your PSU. You could as well consider a HD5770 which has a good change of running on your current PSU, it will be a major upgrade from your 7900GS and match very well with your CPU.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446.html


    ok so if i get the HD5770 i wouldnt have to upgrade my psu right away? that would be a major help. im not sure how well the HD5770 is so basic question is, i play alot of high end game, that require alot of power, right now my 7900GS cant run games like age of conan well at all. nor can i max out the shadows on world of warcraft. would this card be able to atleast be able to run AoC on high and max out WoW for sure. newer games like the saboteur for example also. i was really looking forward to playing it but my pc isnt good enough. the price is cheaper on the HD5770 by like 70$ so i want to make sure that im not wasting my money on a card that wont last long in the fast world pc gaming. i need a card that will last me till diablo 3 and starcraft 2, and will run them good.
  14. Matching a GTX275 with your CPU in a Dell, which has next to none overclocking potential, will mean that you would be holding it back. For a reference on the HD5770 if you look at the review I linked to you can see GTX260 in the benchmarks. Compare the two and make your decision based on that knowing that the GTX275 is a better card than the gtx260.
  15. Wait, where did we see the PSU? Do you have a wattage or 12V rail amperage?
  16. His computer shipped with Dell's 375 watt psu. Dell offered a xps system with that same psu that had 8800GTX in it.
  17. rolli59 said:
    His computer shipped with Dell's 375 watt psu. Dell offered a xps system with that same psu that had 8800GTX in it.

    yup thats right. so bottom line here, should i get the GTX275, GTX260 or the HD5770 in everyone opinion. i don't have more then about 270$ to spend and upgrading from my 375 PSU isn't really an option right now. i need a new card, two sticks of ram and thats should be good enough with the dual core. think of it this way, if you were in my position what would you get. i can go up to 300$ for a new card but thats about it. Thanks guys.
  18. Also if anyone needs i can send my dxdiag info if that will help in giving you a full picture. pm or put out an email or something like that and ill give it to you... somehow.
  19. Best answer
    The only one that will run on your psu is HD5770. The other two need a bigger psu!
  20. Yeah, i wouldn't try pushing the PSU much beyond that. As the PSU ages, its max output decreases as well
  21. rolli59 said:
    The only one that will run on your psu is HD5770. The other two need a bigger psu!

    perfect thanks alot for your help. and to everyone else =]
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Geforce Graphics