Sign in with
Your question

Format usb write protected

Last response: in Storage
November 16, 2011 1:11:27 PM

Please help me how do I format a USB Disk which is writely protected.?

thanks
a b G Storage
November 16, 2011 2:49:07 PM

Refer to this article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272402-32-flash-drive

Please backup all your DATA and Follow the steps:

How to remove a write protection from your USB memory Stick if there is no Write protection ON or OFF button on stick then
1. Shutdown your computer or laptop
2. Insert USB Memory Stick into your laptop or Computer
3. Turn on laptop and then immediately start pressing (F8) key then Advanced Boot Options screen will come up
4. Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt
5. After loading files if your USB Memory Stick drive letter is (G) for example then write as
6. C:\windows\system32>G: and press enter
7. G:\>format G: and press enter
8. If ask you (Y/N) then press (Y) and press enter
9. Now a full format will start which remove write protection from USB Memory Stick.
Note:
Before removing USB from your computer, Always remove it safely by going into to my computer then right click on USB and click eject.
February 18, 2013 10:49:42 AM

Dady Isaac said:

thanks

Related resources
April 8, 2013 4:29:22 PM

jsmakkar said:
Refer to this article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272402-32-flash-drive

Please backup all your DATA and Follow the steps:

How to remove a write protection from your USB memory Stick if there is no Write protection ON or OFF button on stick then
1. Shutdown your computer or laptop
2. Insert USB Memory Stick into your laptop or Computer
3. Turn on laptop and then immediately start pressing (F8) key then Advanced Boot Options screen will come up
4. Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt
5. After loading files if your USB Memory Stick drive letter is (G) for example then write as
6. C:\windows\system32>G: and press enter
7. G:\>format G: and press enter
8. If ask you (Y/N) then press (Y) and press enter
9. Now a full format will start which remove write protection from USB Memory Stick.
Note:
Before removing USB from your computer, Always remove it safely by going into to my computer then right click on USB and click eject.

It's not working still protected
March 19, 2014 5:52:59 PM

If the problem is persistent with the drive and you still can't copy files to it or format it after:-

1- You tried removing read-only permission from the drive properties
2- You tried formatting from Windows
3- You tried formatting from CMD using DISKPART
4- You tried editing the Registry solution (for WriteProtect word)
5- You tried the different free online tools like HDD LL Format tool and HP Format Tool

Then your drive is corrupt and needs the internal chipset S/W to be flashed, i.e. repairing the USB software. The steps below will lead you to get a small program to run on your USB memory-stick which is specific to your MANUFACTURER (make) and PRODUCT (model). If you don't want to go through the headache of the manufacturer's technical support then do it yourself as follows (which I source from here):-
1- Get Chip Genius portable application from here which you will use to find the VID and PID of the USB stick chip.
2- Search for the tool to repair your USB stick S/W from FlashBoot website . Search using your VID and PID from the previous step.
3- Search on Google for the name of the application you find in the "UTILS" column in the page from step 2 and the first link on Google Results (usually) will take you back to the FlashBoot website to download the utility to get your USB drive repaired.

It worked for me for my Kingston Data Traveler flash drive. It didn't work with all the common options for fixing the USB drive having "write protected", but the above solution I found after hours and hours of searching online and asking my computer-geeks colleagues.

Hope this helps! :bounce: 
March 20, 2014 2:45:53 AM

Hi, do you still need a solution? Try 4Card Recovery to recover your data first.
4Card recovery is a useful recovery software which specializes in dealing with this kind of problems. You can download it for free on the internet and the steps are very simple to use this recovery software.
Step one, download 4Card Recovery and install it on your computer
Step two, run it and select the files that you want to recover.
Step three, choose the next button and to scan it.
Step four, store the recovered data on other disk.
April 13, 2014 6:03:58 PM

Dady Isaac said:

thanks

Hey check this.
I had this problem too on a drive that does not have a write protection switch
I tried many things (RegEdit, DiskPart, using GParted under Linux etc...) without any luck.
The next thing I tried was re-flashing the USB drive firmware and that worked.
It is quite involved, as you need to figure out the vendor ID and Product ID of the drive
This software allows to detect all USB devices and find ID:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
the download is all the way at the bottom or here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdeview.zip
Then you need to go find the Mass Production tool software (the program manufacturers use to flash and test the USB drives)
The best place seems to be here:
http://flashboot.ru/iflash/
Enter the VID (Vendor ID) and PID (Product ID) and if you're lucky there is a tool for you!
Look for the CHIP vendor (not the flash vendor). Mine was Phison. And then the Flash MODEL
Then go look in the tools section: http://flashboot.ru/files/
and find the flash vendor tools: look for the tool that supports your Flash model.
Once you have that, you may need to look up info on the web on what to do because all tools are different.
One thing seems to be common: you can load the current config and save the data to disk: DO THAT FIRST!
You generally then need to edit some paramters: make sure they match what you currently have.
In my case with the Phison tool, the tool version itself and some DLL version were wrong, and not available. I 'downgraded' the version numbers in the program to match the flash tool I had, and it went through.
TADAAA!!! Now I have a brand new flash drive unlocked... but obviously EMPTY... So if you have important files on there, you should really back them up first (as usual!)
Good luck!

--
Ignacio Pitasi

!