Thanks Johnny-
I've been telling people for some time now that there is no difference in SATA cables, but of course no one wants to believe that. Wizard's First Rule or something like that.

Anyway its nice to have some evidence to point to, albeit not very scientific evidence. Thanks for this.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009

Newegg has SATA's in the 6" range as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007533%20600020234%20600020214&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Pagesize=50

Very cool, first kind I've read on the subject.

Thanx

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
hardly scientific in nature when only a few test subjects are used. Try testing a box or two of those cheaper cables and compare them to better quality versions to see which one has more lemons or causes the greatest number of sata speed downclocks/disconnects.

I've done some of that same testing by being forced to figure out where issues are. Cables can make a larger difference the faster the drives get and I for one would never put a cheap $1.25 cable on my thousands worth of SSD's. May as well wire up your 1500 watt surround sound setup with radioshack's cheap stuff.

Premium cabling is just cheap insurance in the long run.

Also found it odd that they tested that drive with incompressible data(AS SSD/CDM3?) as that won't task the sata channel nearly as hard on the write side of the equation.

erasmix

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Hi,

I found the article very enlightening. I've a follow up question. Does the article apply to HD Mobile Racks as well, I assume? Meaning if I have an old HD SATA I caddy, that's been working well for many years, I should be able to drop in a new SATA III HD and experience the expected performance gain?

Thanks,
Erasmo.

SATA cables labelled and advertised as SATA, SATA 2, and SATA 3 are identical according to the International standard.

Does the computer have SATA 3 6Gb/s capability? If it does, then you will experience SATA 3 6Gb/s performance. If not, then you will not experience SATA 3 6Gb/s performance. Instead you will experience ssd performance at the same level as the computer's SATA capability.