Built new rig, loading OS for first time and it just freezes

tyson679

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Hey guys, first off I want to say everyone here rocks. I just got done puting together a new computer and turned it on. It seems to post fine other then it saying no drives found. then the dvd kicks in and starts loading windows. it loads for about 20 seconds, then goes to starting windows ( windows 7) it has the 4 colors lighting up above loading windows then everything just freezes the colors stop moving and it just sits there. any suggestions would be great I am at a loss. I have tryied it about 10 times same thing. I even tried it with windows vista and same thing. here are the computer specs below.

Antec twelve hundred case
I7 920
Ausus P6T Motherboard
Master cooler V8 CPU cooler. antec silver thermal paste put on.
12 gigs of OCZ DDR3 1600 ( all installed )
Antec 950w power supply
Nvidia GTX 950 coop
WD green 1 TB HD.
Hitachi dvd-rw drive

Their is no speaker on the natec case so I cant hear the beeps, but everything seems to post fine? no over clocking or anyting like that, just pluged it all in and fired it up.

banthracis

Distinguished
wait, i'm confused, is an OS installed already or not?

If it's a brand new build with an OEM HD its not formatted yet and won't be recognized. You should still be able to boot of Win 7 DVD and from there format/partition the HD.

If an OS is installed and worked but now it's not booting the OS, make sure HD cables is connected and you have a power cable connected to the HD. If that doesn't work we can do more troubleshooting.

tyson679

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Update, ok Boot drive is in slot 1, ACPI does not have an option for 64 bit that I can see. just says enable or disable ( I enabled it ). I have tried to load a new disk ( vista) same thing happens. Tried taking out all the ram except 1, same thing. tried chaning the voltage on the Dram settings, no difference. I am soo totally at a loss. anyone have any suggestions?

banthracis

Distinguished

Um triple channel system requires ram in 3 slots to work. The boards 6 slots will usually be two colors, makes sure there's a a stick of ram in each slot of the same color. Changing RAM voltage settings, don't do it randomly,

Make sure ALL power connectors are installed properly.
Make sure it's set to boot from dvd as one of the options, or just straight out press F12 of w/e it is to select boot drive and boot from dvd.

If your system does not have a HD installed you should still be able to load drivers, etc off a boot disk and get into the beginning of a windows install.

If this still doesn't work either your DVD drive, MOBO or RAM has issues. Swap out DVD and either test it on a system known to work, or install a DVD you know works into your current rig.

If that doesn't work do the same with RAM.

If that doesn't work, do the same with MOBO.

deerhound

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
Are you using ACHI or Raid for your HDD controller or do you have it set up to IDE in your BIOS? If you are trying to go ACHI or Raid you have to load the drivers when Win 7 asks you to select which HDD you want to set up Windows on.

tyson679

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009

Whoops, I will put back in the other 2 stick of ram to make 3. as for the voltage, it says 1.65 on the sticks so that is what I set it as, I did not see where I could change the 9-9-9-24 part. Also I assume I leave the DRAM bus alone.

I have an HD Installed, have tried 2 different HD, both unformated. so I took one and am formating it on another compter to see if that helps.

changing out the DVD was one of my next options. I will post back when I have done my next round of tests. Thanks Everyone.

tyson679

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
ok more update,
I put in 3 sticks of ram
tried a different HD, and even formatted it on a different computer
swapped out the dvd with one I know works
unplugged everything from the Mother board that I didnt need right away
all power connectors are installed properly
tried windows vista instead
put in the voltage of the ram manually

All resulted in the same thing, nothing has changed. I guess start returning things and see if new items will work. I dont know.

banthracis

Distinguished
At this point then I'd recommend swapping out the MOBO. IF that doesn't work try to PSU. Doubt it's that, but could be a bad unit not supplying steady power and causing freezes with the RAM.

Have you tested the RAM yet? If not give that a try too.

tyson679

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Well I have 12 gigs, and have swapped out sticks to see if anything different would happen. only running 3 sticks right now. Yeah, I dont think it would be the PSU since it freezes at the exact same point every time. plus I can stay in the BIOS for a long time without interuption.

tyson679

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Update,
Well still not much has changed. I unpluged my USB keyboard and restarted, this time I got to the choose english part, so I plug back in the keyboard and choose, I accept the terms, and it starts unpacking the files, then I get 97% done with the unpacking and it freezes again. any other ideas?

banthracis

Distinguished

If you're getting that far then we're not having a hardware issue. I'm inclined to say your disk is just screwy. If you have a friend or some one else with a copy of Win 7 give their disk a try, all you paid for really is the product key anyway.