Does hibernation damages an SSD in a long run?

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Hi.

As far as i understand what hibernation is, it's merely a ram's image copied to the hdd before the pc shuts down and then loaded again into the ram when the pc is turned on again.

What if we use an SSD instead of an hdd? Aren't we damaging the SSD taking in account an image of 2 to 4 gigabytes is copied to it everyday (considering we turn off our pc one or two times a day)?

My SSD is an intel 320 series 120gb at the moment.

Also i was told that hibernation could cause the ssd to malfunction due to misalignment.

I would like to read what you have to say about this.

Cheers!

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I've never heard of that causing an issue with an SSD, it's not really any different than cutting and pasting a file that size I wouldn't think.

Aren't they rated for a certain number of I/O operations if that's what you're concerned about well an extra i/o perday isn't going to pooch your drive any quicker than normal use.

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Well, that might be true for 4gb of ram being written onto the SSD. What about someone with 16gb of ram. Isn't that pushing it a little hard?

Or the hibernation method doesn't actually create a 16gb file and assuming i'm only using 2,5gb of ram, it only copies that amount to the SSD?

Hurthan

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
I honestly don't think its a big deal whether you use hibernation or not when it comes to SSD. I think it's being overcautious. If it where an common issue with SSD then Windows 7 probably would have it turned of by default when being installed on SSD.

hiberfil.sys is the file that saves the current Windows image to a drive for hibernation purposes. The hiberfil.sys file has to be saved to the same drive where Windows is located. It cannot be saved to an alternate drive. The hiberfil.sys file is considered to be a very large file that takes up a lot of space on a small capacity solid state drive. Disabling hibernation in Windows is a space saving technique which can free up several gigabytes of ssd space.

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

Very good point, but I think you overestimate the amount of common sense they have with things like this.

andywork78

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
I never use hibernation, i don't know i just don't like it.
However SSD have shorter then HDD life cycle but still they are last good for 3~4years.
That's why OCZ give 3years of warranty.
However person who have SSD they told me do not defeg SSD some reason.
Disable all paging files.
Readyboost are auto disable by when you are using SSD.
Well good luck~ and don't worry just plug in and enjoy til they are dead.

Hurthan

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

I probably do overestimate Windows 7, the experience of the operating system has been that good hehe.

I found this article
Debunking Misconceptions in SSD Longevity

http://www.bitmicro.com/press_resources_debunking.php

basra

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
I had SSD Corsair 120GB and it was damaged(dead for good) because of using hibernation option for few days!
I had updated my Asus EEE with the SSD but apparently hibernation has bad effect on SSD lifetime. :fou:

I highly doubt hibernation did anything bad to it. all hibernation does is put the pc in a low power/off state and keep what windows has open in the ram written to the disk so it can pick up where it left off at, its no different then saving any other file on a SSD/HD

dod63

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
1. so, the only effect of hibernation to ssd is that it occupy space, large enough relative to ssd size of 120gb?
2. does turning off hibernation affects computer performance like boot time, opening files and application, etc.?

It occupies space equal to the size of the available ram. I'm not 100% sure if it does it automatically or on an as needed basis. It only affects boot time if you actually hit the hibernation button. Otherwise nope.

In short, you can turn it off if you don't use it with no harm done.