DVD-rw drive not recognized

Have a laptop with XP Pro.CPU is Pentium M 1400 MHz, 1 GB
Ram, Centrino. All known updates have been performed.

The port for CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive works fine. Tested by
putting in a NEW HDD and booted to then CD-RW/DVD-RW
Drive, Worked fine. Put in battery pack in same slot and
Extra battery shows up.

When XP boots with CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive inside I only get
the Start-up Screen, startup hangs and never completes.

When the system is running and I take the battery pack
out and put in CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive the system comes to an
almost, stand still. CPU usage at 100%.

When I try to boot in safe mode it hangs at the MUP.SYS

I called ASUS support about this and they said it is not
a known issue with their hardware.

Please advice.

Humbly,
More about drive recognized

    Is anybody out there going to respond to my request for help?

    "Jay Weiss" wrote:

    > Have a laptop with XP Pro.CPU is Pentium M 1400 MHz, 1 GB
    > Ram, Centrino. All known updates have been performed.
    >
    > The port for CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive works fine. Tested by
    > putting in a NEW HDD and booted to then CD-RW/DVD-RW
    > Drive, Worked fine. Put in battery pack in same slot and
    > Extra battery shows up.
    >
    > When XP boots with CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive inside I only get
    > the Start-up Screen, startup hangs and never completes.
    >
    > When the system is running and I take the battery pack
    > out and put in CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive the system comes to an
    > almost, stand still. CPU usage at 100%.
    >

    > When I try to boot in safe mode it hangs at the MUP.SYS
    >
    > I called ASUS support about this and they said it is not
    > a known issue with their hardware.
    >
    > Please advice.
    >
    > Humbly,

Configuration DVD RW CD-Rom Windows XP