Sign in with
Your question

Which cpu is best for abit ab9 quad gt motherbard?intel qx 6700?

Last response: in CPUs
February 20, 2010 9:07:57 PM

Just got an abit ab9 quad gt mobo for free in a antec lanboy dual fan case-minus cpu-also minus graphics card-not intending to game, might overclock a little,just dont want to push temps-dont have liquid cooling,comments,suggestions,anyone? I am brand new [newbie] to this,so go easy on me...
a c 131 à CPUs
February 20, 2010 9:34:47 PM

Ok so what will you be using the computer for?

Do you need help with just the CPU or with the other components (PSU, Case, RAM) aswell?
m
l
February 20, 2010 9:49:50 PM

enzo matrix said:
Ok so what will you be using the computer for?

Do you need help with just the CPU or with the other components (PSU, Case, RAM) aswell?

Surfing,media burning,hopefully sending hulu, etc. to my [older]tv /audio system[newer]yamaha 7.1- 140 watts per channel- no gaming,probably, moderate over-clocking to ONLY a stable level, not wanting to exceed heat level, to prolong cpu life as long as possible-however,I have many interests,and purposes could grow-thanks for your interest and quick response!Would appreciate any and all input,heck,I'm not even sure the motherboard works,it also came without power source,but ,for free,I got the quad gt mobo,sony dvd rw/rom,antec lanboy dual fan case. Also,if you have recommendations insofar as ram,etc.that would go hand in hand w/your recommended cpu,I would sure give a listen!
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2010 10:13:23 PM

pick up an old Q6600 of ebay and maybe a 5770 video card

make sure the boards supports the cpu too, and that the rest of your stuff works

overclocking - judging by your wording and level, dont bother
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
February 21, 2010 2:47:37 AM

What on earth is he going to be using the 5770 for?
I don't see any integrated graphics on that card so I would say look into a decent radeon 4650 for anything you could want to do with it. If you end up needing a bit more power or DX11, get a radeon 5670. Both are powered right from the pci-e slot so don't need much power. You can find them for about $50 and $100 respectively.
The Q6600 is old and currently you can get a good yorkfield quad for $150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Buying parts from ebay and such is not something I would want to risk.

Edit: About overclocking. No one wants an unstable processor. Nor does anyone who overclocks want to go beyond the safe heat level. But make sure you do a lot of research beforehand. Guides and the such and pay attention to the safety precautions. If you overclock you might be looking to only do it a little bit - on stock voltage.
m
l
February 21, 2010 4:44:55 AM

enzo matrix said:
What on earth is he going to be using the 5770 for?
I don't see any integrated graphics on that card so I would say look into a decent radeon 4650 for anything you could want to do with it. If you end up needing a bit more power or DX11, get a radeon 5670. Both are powered right from the pci-e slot so don't need much power. You can find them for about $50 and $100 respectively.
The Q6600 is old and currently you can get a good yorkfield quad for $150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Buying parts from ebay and such is not something I would want to risk.

Edit: About overclocking. No one wants an unstable processor. Nor does anyone who overclocks want to go beyond the safe heat level. But make sure you do a lot of research beforehand. Guides and the such and pay attention to the safety precautions. If you overclock you might be looking to only do it a little bit - on stock voltage.

enzo matrix, I don't have the data here in front of me as to whether the yorkfield quad would work- if it is acceptable to run the yorkfield quad on the quad gt mobo,do you prefer the yorkfield over the q6600 G0 slacr? And if so, why?I am trying to learn as I go along here,and trust me,$150.00 on the yorkfield is a better price than I am finding on the q6600 ...if I am getting the same bang for less buck,I'm all for it!Awaiting your input,Vanierstein.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
February 21, 2010 5:16:25 AM

Well, the yorkfield I linked is 2.5GHz vs the Q6600 at 2.4GHz. Besides that, the newer yorkfield is 45nm vs the q6600 65nm. This is the process on which it was manufactured. The q6600 is a 105W part while the q8300 is a 95W part. Smaller typically means less heat and power consumption. The bus speed of the Q8300 is also at 1333 vs q6600 at 1066. There is one disadvantage though, the Q8300 only has 4mb L2 cache vs the Q6600 8mb L2 cache. As for the practical performance per clock, I do not know.
m
l
!