Sign in with
Your question

Pipeline help please

Last response: in CPUs
February 20, 2010 11:22:07 PM

Can someone please help me, next week I'm going to quit this module.

3 Pipelining:

a) Consider a multi-cycle MIPS architecture. Assume there are 4 types of instructions supported by the architecture:
L-type (5 cycles), S-type (4 cycles), R-type (2 cycles), B-type (3 cycles)

If a program with 100 instructions containing different types in following ratio:
L-type (15), S-type (25), R-type (50), B-type (10).

i) Calculate the average instruction execution time in CPI (cycle per instruction) on an unpipelined processor; (8 marks)

ii) Calculate the average instruction execution time in CPI on a pipelined processor but with 0.1*cycle overhead; (8 marks)

iii) Ignoring any latency impact, calculate the theoretical speedup gained from pipelining; (8 marks)

iv) In some MIPS pipeline implementations, the length of pipestages would be the same. In order to calculate the speedup, define an expression of speedup as a function using the following:
- Tunpipelined: execution time for unpipelined units.
- Tpipestage(i): the execution time of each pipestage (i), which may vary depending on the instruction type.
- Tlatch: overhead time between pipestages.

(Speedup = ?) (8 marks)

Explain and discuss your expression using results from the above example. (8 marks)

More about : pipeline

a b à CPUs
February 21, 2010 1:38:48 AM

Roll another one, how much does the answer pay? and how will you be paying?
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
February 21, 2010 3:15:18 AM

I have found that instructors in courses are very helpful if you are willing to ask them and talk to them.
m
l
Related resources
February 21, 2010 1:37:23 PM

I'm planning to leave, I just want to get it done, handed in and leave the uni (which I can do and be graded on the work). I'm more actual hardware/networking than this stuff.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
February 21, 2010 4:09:25 PM

I think you are more prepared and motivated to answer questions like that than us. Can your course materials and teachers not help you? By the way, what course are you taking?
m
l
!