So I wanted to demo Modern Warfare 2 the other day but realized I didn't have the graphics card for it. So I went ahead and did a few upgrades and am just wondering what I should do next.
- Dell Inspirion 530
- Q6600 OC'ed to 3.0ghz
- 4gbs ddr2 800mhzx pc-6400 (I have another 2 gb's but it is only 600mhz)
- 300gb 5400 rpm sata drive
- OCZ 700w psu
- Arctic cooling pro 7
- Acer FX22 22" monitor
- M-audio USB fast track
I bought a 4870 the other day but it crapped out. I took it back and I am reconsidering buying a better or cheaper card.
What am I doing with it?
- Some gaming probably mostly Counter Strike: Source, a bonus would be to play MW2 and some newer games but that is NOT a priority
- Photo editing with photoshop
- Media streaming to ps3 on 47" tv
- Watching movies (debating on getting a 30" monitor)
- Some music production and playback. dj mixing/midi keys, guitar, serato, ableton live.
- Willing to spend $300 for just the vid card and HDD (ssd? Or get a 7200 and wait?)
The 4890 is a good card - but if you might want something different - just find your own sweet spot for price and peformance by looking at the THG recommended cards - showing the best in each budget range:
Since the 4890 is on the THG list in the first link, you mgiht start with it and see what changes in price and performance you get by moving up or down from it - here are some comparisons pulled off the second link above:
I am planning to get an SSD too but I don't think the prices are quite there yet and they are still making significant increases in speed - so best to wait a little longer. But since you only have a 5200 RPM drive, you could get a major speed boost from a new 7200 RPM drive - I suggest getting this one: