Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will this motherboard be a good upgrade?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 27, 2010 2:44:01 AM

Hi there,

I currently have this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And I was thinking about replacing it with this:

Specs:
athlon II x4 630
Radeon HD5670 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
DDR3-SDRAM PC3-8500 (533 MHz) "OCZ3G10662G"
BFG 550w 80+ certified

I really don't want to spend a lot, as I have just recently purchased this computer, but stupidly didn't look at the PCI-E slot to make sure it was 2.0, and I didn't look at the Mt/s which is only 2000 on the one I currently have. Will the gain be really noticeably by swapping to this more powerful board? Will I need thermal grease or compound?
a c 295 V Motherboard
June 27, 2010 3:00:26 AM

Hi.

Yeah, a mobo with AMD chipset is better for ur rig but bear in mind that the open box mobo don't comes with all the cables and CDs or maybe comes with some problem.
Score
Related resources
June 27, 2010 3:18:34 AM

davcon said:
You'll be fine with this mobo
I would stay away from open box.

Would the computer and graphics run noticably faster with this new board? I mostly play wow, and D3 which is coming up in the near future? So far my mobo seems to run everything alright. But I can't play a game in one side of my monitor, and watch youtube on the side of the screen without the computer lagging out a bit and the youtube video freezing.
Score
a c 117 V Motherboard
June 27, 2010 3:47:33 AM

xamire said:
Would the computer and graphics run noticably faster with this new board? I mostly play wow, and D3 which is coming up in the near future? So far my mobo seems to run everything alright. But I can't play a game in one side of my monitor, and watch youtube on the side of the screen without the computer lagging out a bit and the youtube video freezing.

Most people are running at least 4gb of ram on desktops these days.
You're also asking alot out of your system components to run two video components at once.
Your isp plan you're on will also come into play as far as lag goes running a game and you-tube at the same time.
That sounds like a a bandwith issue to me.
Score
June 27, 2010 4:33:15 AM

davcon said:
Most people are running at least 4gb of ram on desktops these days.
You're also asking alot out of your system components to run two video components at once.
Your isp plan you're on will also come into play as far as lag goes running a game and you-tube at the same time.
That sounds like a a bandwith issue to me.

Alright thanks much. Also:

Would my Radeon HD5670 work noticeably better with a pci-e 2.0 slot.. vs my 1.0?

Is going from 2000 mt/s to 5200 mt/s a noticeable difference? I have limited funds, and am purchasing a car at this time as well. That's why I would rather spend it on a better car instead of a motherboard if my current one is just fine.
Score

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2010 7:27:39 AM

1. I would not bother buying ANY new motherboard today unless it had USB 3.0 included.

2. There is no such thing as DDR3 533Mhz, as far as I know. So I would recheck that.

3. 4GB of RAM is plenty for gaming, so you ought to be fine with the two slots on your original mobo, filled with 2x2GB sticks.

4. PCIe x16 to PCIe 2.0 x16 is not going to make a hell of a lot of difference (if any) with that video card. Or almost any single-GPU card, for that matter. The 5670 is not really a "performance" card to begin with, so I would not worry about this at all.

5. Do you really want to reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows and everything else from scratch? Because that's what you have to do when you install a new motherboard.

In summary: Usually not worth the time, money or trouble to upgrade a motherboard unless you're also making other major changes, like crossfiring video cards or going to a new CPU that isn't supported by the old one.
June 27, 2010 7:53:30 AM

Best answer selected by xamire.
Score
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2012 1:04:08 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!