Sign in with
Your question

Mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
June 27, 2010 4:01:47 AM

Hi all,
I was given a pc with the Intel 845 EBT mobo, 2 GM RAM, 1.8 GHZ P4. I'd like to upgrade the video card spending up to about $60. I'll also buy used. I'm confused by what bus interface I should be looking for? AGP or PCI for best output today. What I can't seem to find is what speed AGP or PCI this mobo has. Any suggestions for cards or what interfaces I have so I can shop for the right card?
Thanks,
Robbie

More about : mobo

a c 435 V Motherboard
June 27, 2010 10:35:51 AM

Your board takes an agp 4x video card. Check your local craigslist first for deals. Agp is faster than pci.
m
l
June 27, 2010 2:09:48 PM

Thank you very much for a quick reply...
Robbie
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 27, 2010 3:54:13 PM

These both state they are AGP 8x. Are they backward compatible to 4x? Are all 8x cards backward compatible to 4x?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2010 4:35:59 PM

From what I know newer cards work in older AGP mobos (AGP 2.0 and AGP3.0) but not every time it's kinda complicated since some X4 video cards don't work on some x4 mobos:

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

m
l
July 7, 2010 12:35:39 AM

mosox said:
From what I know newer cards work in older AGP mobos (AGP 2.0 and AGP3.0) but not every time it's kinda complicated since some X4 video cards don't work on some x4 mobos:

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

Hi Mosox,
I'm not Gamer...Thanks for the suggestions though. After learning more about the AGP bus and this mobo, I bought an ATI 9600XT w/256mb. Your links were also helpful in my knowledge quest. I was mostly seeking a DVI port for the monitor I had and figured anything was better than the 32MB NViada card it had. I found the driver and the card works, although I have no way to really judge how well. But it works fine for office apps at the native resolution of my 19" monitor.
Robbie
m
l
!