yallaen

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Hello all;
Here's my dilema:
4 y.o. Gateway GM5088 computer, 2gb ram, 1 500gb sata hdd, 1 250gb pata hdd(it was the original until I loaded Win7). Running Win7 Pro x86. 450watt power supply.

Replaced the original mobo back in October as it went kaput. Replaced it with another FIC KTBC51G that I got off eBay. It's been working great. However, my vid card shot craps. I replaced it with a hand-me-down from a classmate. It's shooting craps. So today I went and bought a new video card, a PNY/Nvidia card. Bottom line..I got home, put card in, and no joy. Didn't work. Monitor kept saying "no signal". Tried different cables, monitors..and put card in another computer..nothing! Just nothing at all on screen, although I could hear Win7 fire up and play it's nice cute music. But nothing but a black screen.

So returned that card and got an ATI HD5570. Got it home, plugged it in...and when I powered up, nothing happened. Yes, all switches were on, power plugged in...so I took it out and put in the hand me down that is on it's last leg. Well, that got a result...the Phoenix CMOS screen popped up with the CMOS checksum error. It wont go past that..and hitting F1..F2...nothing works..it just locks up on that screen.

I removed the battery for about 30 seconds, and also tried resetting the jumper. Nada..still the lockup. I even swapped the video cards...at least the new vid card works..it keeps displaying that darn CMOS error. Oh, no beep codes or anything as well...

SO, I'm at a quandry...how do I check to see if there's a virus (using Hiram's Boot disk or something else) if I can only get the Phoenix splash screen? Or is my worst fear that the mobo is toast the problem?

Try checking the bios for a primary video setting and set it to pci-e. Then try leaving the card loose in the pci-e slot. With some cards, I've had the card pop out of the slot just enough to not make contact when you tighten the hold down screw and fail to post.

yallaen

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
It wont even let me get to the BIOS screen. I took the add-on card out, and am trying to just run with onboard video.
I just replaced the CMOS battery as well with no luck :(