I can see my WD 750gb USB mass storage device letter in windows wista

Biggieb

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
So here the problem, i have an internal hard drive in an external enclosure. When i plug it in Windows (Vista home premium) recognizes it as USB mass storage but it doesn't show up in "My Computer". when I go to disk management it shows up as an Unknown and unreadable . The drive is a Western Digital 750gb WD . I was wondering if anyone had any experience with something like this?

The usual approaches to such a problem are

1) Fall back on your backups, if you have them. If you don't, learn from this and do them in the future.

2) Remove the drive from the case and attach it directly to a system's motherboard, to rule out a problem in the USB cable or enclosure

3) Download and run a recovery tool like EASEUS Partition Recovery, Recuva, or any of a dozen than get mentioned on this forum frequently. If it recovers the data, immediately copy it to another disk in case this disk is failing.

4) download and run the diagnostics from Western Digital. If the drive fails, chuck it. If it passes, it's up to you whether to trust it or not.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

ott_sd

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
That was fast- thanks.
I'm running Easeus partition recovery already.
It succeded to see my external WD 2500bmv so I chose it, hit Proceed button.
It's taking sweet time- it shows all 238475MB 'Unallocated' but Proceed button is still grayed out.
How long does it take usual recovery?

Dunno - never used it except for practice! Are you the op under another handle?