Solved

Hard crash during 3D games

When I play Mass Effect and Saints' Row 2 my system inevitably crashes after a while. After 15 mins to several hours of play the screen fills with colored vertical pinstripes and the audio buzzes. I never have problems during non-3D use and older 3D games like L4D are fine too. I've tried a lot of different things to fix the problem and nothing seems to help.

My system - everything is dialed back to stock timings:
GPU: XFX Radeon 4850 512MB
CPU: Phenom II X3 720BE
Mobo: ASUS M4A78T-E 790GX
RAM: 2x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600 @ 7-7-7-24
HD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
PSU: Antec TruePower Trio 650W (TP3-650)

Things I've tried:
-Cleared GPU driver with DriverSweeper and installed latest copy - no change
-Ran each stick of RAM on its own - still crashed
-Logged temps during gaming with Everest - nothing's overheating
-Stress-tested with Everest Stability Test+GPUTool, Prime95, FurMark, 3DMark - no crashes during stress tests
-Ran MemTest, Windows Memory Diagnostic, several hard drive checks - everything passed
EDIT:-relaxed the RAM timings to 8-8-8-24 - no difference
EDIT:-relaxed RAM speed to 1333 MHz - no difference
EDIT:-logged voltages during stress test - fluctuation was pretty minimal

I suspect that my PSU, RAM or GPU are crapping out on me, but I don't know how to isolate the problem apart from what I've already done. The only thing I know I haven't tried is switching out components, because I don't have any spare parts that I can use.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hard crash games
  1. Best answer
    As the calibration of the voltage sensors varies, I wouldn't worry too much about the value, but rather how much it varies from no load. If you want to check the ram, try reducing the speed/timings and see if it still crashes. You can also try underclocking the GPU a little and see if that helps. Is anything overclocked? I'd try running the ram at 1333MHz.
  2. Thanks EXT,
    My 12V shows a voltage of 12.1 with no load - how much variation is acceptable?
    My GPU is at stock (650MHz?), which is as low as it will go using the Catalyst tuning utility.
    I did try relaxing the RAM timings to 8-8-8-24, but I didn't think to lower the speed - I'll try running it at 1333MHz as soon as I get a chance.
    Nothing is overclocked atm, I set everything back to stock when I started troubleshooting this.
  3. PSU voltage tolerance is +/- 5%. So 11.4 - 12.6 volts is good.
  4. Yep, that is most likely ok. I have seen worse on some of my systems and they have not crashed.
  5. OK I tried relaxing my RAM speed to 1333 MHz, but it still crashed.
  6. Any other suggestions to pinpoint the problem?
  7. Run OCCT

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php

Look at voltage graphs when done.

can also run the OCCT PSU torture test but be warned .... it will cause lesser PSU's to melt down.
  8. will try that, thanks
  9. Hmm, I ran the OCCT Linpack test for an hour and the 12V only fluctuated .08V the whole time. (12.05V-12.12)
    Looking back over my Everest logs it actually only got as low as 11.92, not sure why I thought it was 11.8.

So if low fluctuation is a sign of a healthy PSU, mine is doing pretty good. It's a couple years old but it is an Antec.
  10. Other results in case they're useful:
    3.3V fluctuation: .01 (3.44-3.45)
    5V fluctuation: .03 (5-5.03)
    VCore fluctuation: .03V (1.32-1.35)
    CPU max temp: 56C

Looks pretty healthy to me. Once I figure this issue out I think i'll do some OC'ing :)
  11. Anybody else have ideas?
  12. Best answer selected by vainglorious11.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt 3D Systems