Solved

Overclocking my GTX580

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Overclocking
  • MSI
Last response: in Overclocking
June 7, 2012 6:23:58 AM

So i've been trying to Overclock my MSI Lightning Xtreme GTX580 card, and managed to take it to 900/1800/2300. But now im trying to up the voltage a bit but it doesn't seem to change at all when i take it to +100mV. Is that not enough to see a change in GPU-Z or am i just doing something wrong? First time overclocking so any help is appreciated. Thanks

More about : overclocking gtx580

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 8, 2012 5:23:28 PM

Shmister said:
So i've been trying to Overclock my MSI Lightning Xtreme GTX580 card, and managed to take it to 900/1800/2300. But now im trying to up the voltage a bit but it doesn't seem to change at all when i take it to +100mV. Is that not enough to see a change in GPU-Z or am i just doing something wrong? First time overclocking so any help is appreciated. Thanks

In some of the Overclock utilities you have to ensure your power percent is pushed over to full. That way it will allow you to adjust voltage. But, in my setup with the 580 I noticed several things when going past 900 mHz. The largest thing was the heat generated is pretty large. 10-30 degrees Celsius.

Even after stabilizing the temperature under load, the frame-per-second increase was minimal. One to two at most. Anything above 975+ just flat out crashed when overclocking. Managed to get one to 990 mHz, which was quickly halted by a driver fail and artifacts. The failure came several hours after use as well...

So your card at 900 mHz isn't bad, considering it's reference design is 772 mHz. Your performance should be 10% better without the excessive heat.

If your still headset on pushing the card further, make sure your voltage power-percent is pushed to maximum percentage. Then change your voltage. You can safely use 1.2 volts, but you'll have to mod a little bit. Otherwise you'll be around 1.1125 V. But as I stated expect your cards fans to really start moving once you hit the higher clock rate. You'll be generating even more heat with more voltage.

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_580/images/v...

That's a great graph which is an overall conceptual idea for a 580. Obviously some cards will be better or worst, but it'll at least give you an idea of where to head. Hope that helps, if you need anymore assistance let me know. I'll help you the best I can.
June 9, 2012 3:27:12 AM

Best answer selected by Shmister.
m
l
June 9, 2012 3:28:05 AM

Thanks GArrigotti, ill probably leave it at what i have now. I Appreciate the help :) 
m
l
!