Issue with new GeForce 275 locking up with artifacts

JesterOC

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I owned an GeForce 8000 gtx which seemed to die two days ago. It blue screened and then would not boot up unless only monitor was plugged in. When it did boot there was red or yellow artifacts all over the screen.

So I purchased a GeForce 275 and a new Corsair HX 850 power supply. I installation went well and all seemed fine. Until I got a lockup with white and blue wavy artifacts when playing Demigod. The speakers where kicking out an screeching noise and the system was unresponsive.

I pulled the card, and reseated it, checked to make sure the fans where on and had no wires obstructing them and downloaded Nvidia's system monitor. I played Demigod several times and all seemed to be fine. Played for an hour or so with the max temp getting to 70c.

Then I tried the Arma II demo, and everything was fine until I pulled up the editor and dropped in a soldier with a Javelin. If I fire the Javelin several times I am pretty much guaranteed to lock up the system as described for Demigod.

The card never gets above 58c during this. CPU temps are fine also (below 47c). When I removed the 4 gig and 2 gig sets of memory, I got a different type of error, it did not lock up the screen, but it looked more like "traditional" graphic artifacts (Triangles not drawn right etc.)

Any ideas. I am wondering if the mother board has anything to do with it. Or did I just get unlucky with the new Video card and need to return it?

[Added Info] Ran Prime95 for 10 minutes with no issues (using just 4 gigs of Ram)

Thanks.

System specs
Motherboard: Foxconn P45A-S LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor
RAM: 6 Gig of generic ram
PSU: Corsair HX 850 power supply
Vid card: GeForce 275 PNY

I'd format the system just to be sure it isn't a driver issue. Also, there could be an issue with your PCI-E slot so may want to try the card in the second slot. That will of course reduce you to 8x PCI-E lanes though. It could be that your PSU is somehow defective, but if it was you may hear a high pitched noise coming from it. More likely you simply got a bad card and need to RMA it. Just make sure it is indeed the card before you do :D.