Upgrading a Orion MS-7168 v 1.0

mosschop

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
I have won an Avermedia Hybrid Voler HD stick and in order to use it, needs a 2.8 GHZ processor. I have a P/B Imedia 1517 and the Orion MS-7168 motherboard up to 2.2 GHZ. I am looking to replace the pc in 8 months time or when recession is over. What is my options and as reasonably priced as possible. And the graphics ATI radeon Xpress 200 is not very good.
I am an average user but struggling with this.
Thank you for any repies.

mosschop

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
I realise that I can watch and record SD, but would like to watch HD.However I only got 2.2 GHz cpu and I need a 2.8 GHz cpu.Would it be easy to put in a new motherboard and if so what make ?

You have a 2.2GHz AMD CPU which is the equivalent of a 3.2GHz Intel CPU.m However, the requirements for H.264 HDTV Viewing are:

- Intel® Core™2 Duo 2.4GHz
- AMD Athlon™ X2 2.8GHz

I would simply build/buy a new system instead of upgrading it. You'll have to replace the 250W PSU, the motherboard, the CPU and the RAM. If the front panel connector is relatively standard or if you can figure out the wiring, then you may be able to reuse the case with a mATX motherboard (a standard ATX motherboard won't fit). The hard disk and DVD-RW could possibly be reused, but I probably wouldn't bother. You might also need a new OS if you are using an OEM copy of Windows XP that will only work with a Packard-Bell PC.

mosschop

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010

Thank you for your help, at least I will be able to watch and record with the avermedia compared to the Hauppage hvr 1110 that has not worked well at all due to not big enough cpu