Sign in with
Your question

Putting Intel 915GV-M3 motherboard into Dell Dimension 4500 case

Last response: in Systems
December 12, 2009 12:16:20 AM

Hi. I want to be able to remove the stock motherboard from a Dell Dimension 4500 and put in an Intel 915GV-M3 motherboard (revision 1) inside the case. So far I haven't even figured out how to remove the stock motherboard! Could someone show me how to go about doing this, as I have little experience regarding computer hardware

Thanks
December 25, 2009 12:25:14 AM

I don't have this model, but do have two other Dell Dimension models in my testing lab, along with a few other Dell models. In my experience, the processors and peripherals (hard drives, optical drives, PCI cards, memory, etc.) are pretty standard, but Dell cases, motherboards, and power supplies tend to be proprietary designs. It's usually not easy to swap in new parts from other vendors, or even from other Dell product lines.

I consider myself fairly competent (have changed motherboards and power supplies countless times, and recently started changing components like capacitors on the boards themselves), and it's not a project I would bother with. I salvage a lot of components for the lab, but the Dell cases/motherboards just go straight to the recycle center.

If you do decide to tackle this, the Dell support website (support.dell.com) does have pretty good service documentation. Go into Drivers and Downloads, enter the service tag from your machine or just pick Desktops > Dimension from the model selector, and look for the Manuals link on the left side of the page.

This is the link to the information about removing the motherboard: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4500/r...
Basically, you open the case, pull up on the green tab, and slide the motherboard forward. Note that the graphic shows a screw near the tab- I think you have to remove that screw, although the manual doesn't appear to mention it.

Like I said, I don't have a 4500- but in the Dimension desktops we have, the tray has metal tabs that stick up through metal clips on the motherboard. You probably won't be able to mount the new motherboard without modifying the tray and/or case, to provide somewhere to screw the new motherboard down. Your new keyboard, USB, etc. ports on the back probably don't match up with Dell's layout, so that's something else to deal with. Good luck!
!