Sign in with
Your question

Internal speaker long continuous beep, but system works fine

Last response: in Systems
December 12, 2009 2:38:19 AM

hi all

i recently built an i5 750 system with a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4 motherboard. when i boot the computer it gives me a nice normal single beep and boots normally. one sec later (as the BIOS displays to screen all the usual normal POST text) after the normal single beep, a lower pitched continuous beep comes on and stays on. however, my system has been running fine without any problems for the last month.

according to the mobo manual "continuous long beeps" means the video card is seated incorrectly. they also describe "continuous short beeps" for power error, which i'm pretty sure i don't have either. i really think my beeping is just "one long continuous lower pitched beep," which unfortunately isn't described in the mobo manual.

anyway, i have the internal speaker removed for now because it's annoying. can anybody recommend any diagnostics tools i could use to attempt to identify the problem (if any)?

thanks,
W
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
December 12, 2009 1:49:35 PM

Try checking PC Health in the BIOS. Could be temperature alarm. The motherboard could be checking for a missing fan on a header.
December 12, 2009 6:23:51 PM

core temps are all ~28C. temp alarm is set to go on if temp goes above 60C. what do you mean by "missing fan on a header"? any other boot-time diagnostics you'd recommend outside of bios (like a bootable CD with diagnostics)?

thanks W
Related resources
December 20, 2009 3:43:58 PM

I have the exact same problem with a similar motherboard - have you found any answers? I am looking but have not come across anything yet....

Mike
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
December 20, 2009 5:47:00 PM

No specs posted. Do you have both (if needed) PCIe power conectors plugged into the video card?
December 20, 2009 10:53:37 PM

Have you checked your BIOS for temperature/fan failure warning settings? The noise could be due to these settings.
November 14, 2013 12:54:57 AM

Uhh it could possibly because u removed your case cover cuz some motherboards have those alarms to check the case covered
!