Ssd are insane!!

nick3232

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Hello,
the current market is a little bit over $2 per gb this needs to drop to an acceptable $.50 per gb while normal hard drives in my country are $0.05 per gb this is ridicoulous it needs to go down what do you think?

Totempole

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Yes, it's true. SSD isn't an option if you don't have a lot of disposable income, but while their price is insane, their performance and reliability are amazing.

They will come down in price as the technology progresses, but as with anything, to keep costs down, corners will be cut in manufacturing and reliability will decrease.

That is the circle of technology. :(

I'm less friendly to this kind of inquiry than Totempole is. If a Ferrari is out of your price range, buy a Volkswagen. We would all like to be able to afford the best, but the best is usually expensive.

By the time SSDs come down to 10 cents/ GB, we'll be complaining about how expensive the much faster shchmutzig drives are. It's the nature of the beast.

EDIT: you can get older or less cutting-edge SSDs for less. For example, a current drive at $1.42 / GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233206

There once was a time about a decade ago when the price per gigabyte of a platter hard drive was also 1-2$. It came down over time as the technology improved. The same thing happened with USB flash drives, embedded flash, writable media, etc...

Platter drives and solid state drives are two different technologies, give it time.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
There are applications where a $100 64GB SSD can breathe life into an outdated computer and often times there is no other way to get the same performance bump without paying for a brand new computer. Especially in an older HTPC or an underperforming laptop they can extend your current machine for an extra year or so. Obviously this is a limited application, but it is one time where I think the high price is worth it.