A8N-SLI - new processor options

jawtunes82

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I posted a while back looking for advice on improving the performance of my old PC. I have nowimproved the graphics card to ati radeon hd 4650 500mb and have 3.5gb ram. i was told that there is little i can do to improve the processor due to the type of motherboard?

I have an amd 64 3000+ single core processor which, according to the YouGamer Game-o-meter facility, is causing a big bottle neck in performance.

Can anyone recomend a processor that would work on this motherboard and give a similar level of performance as the graphics card and ram?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

It is a socket 939 mobo so the short answer is a 2.6Ghz dual core cpu - the FX60 was the fastest.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=A8N-SLI&SLanguage=en-us

Note their were a few revisions to this mobo so select the relevant manual, download it and have a read.

I consider the older 4400+ (2.2Ghz with 2 X 1Mb cache) to be the best buy for this mobo.

Simply run a 220 Fsb and you will likely get 4800+ speed (2.4Ghz) out of it with stock voltage.

Pushing any of the early 90nm AM1 silicon past 2.6 is difficult without water or high end air cooling.

You should be able to leave the HT mult at 5 ... it doesn't push it much past the maximum at this FSB.

Hope this helps.

You will notice a decent performance increase with a dual core too.

Cheers.

jawtunes82

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Thanks for the reply.

I have looked at the link and have seen that there are various manuals for different 'versions of this motherboard, it this what you were reffering to? if so, how do i know which i have and whether the processor would be compatible.

thanks
adam

jawtunes82

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Istill havent got around to purchasing the processor yet.

I am looking at buying a second hand chip on ebay - is this too risky?
Would i need to invest in a new fan and heatsink, how could i tell if my existing set up would be suitable.

also, could anyone let me know how to use the link posted by reynod (above).

thanks in advance.

Sorry ...

1. Note your bios version on bootup ... usually shows on the screen ... you can freeze the screen by hitting >pause> and read it.

Looks like a bios beyond 1008 supports most of the dual cores.

2. You can purchase a second hand 3800+ or 4400+ dual core from e-bay with confidence ... make sure it is a socket 939 CPU !!

Sorry I took a while to get back ... school holidays.

Good luck