Sign in with
Your question

First WCed System

Last response: in Overclocking
June 7, 2012 2:29:45 PM

Ok so I have read many forums etc about water cooling and have decided I wanted to get a full loop going. I plan to get an Ivy Bridge i5 with an asrock extreme4 motherboard.

Can anyone give me a good build of parts? I have look at a few "complete kits and have found these:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16070/ex-wat-210/XSPC...

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15402/ex-wat-207/XSPC...

or something a bit cheaper

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14182/ex-wat-181/XSPC...

These kits range in prices a lot and I am just not sure what I REALLY NEED. I am only wanting to cool a CPU right now. Maybe a ways down the road a GPU or two but I can always get another pump etc down the line for that.

Of the kits I have shown what would work best for me? I plan to overclock as much as I can on it. (4.5-5)

If you think another kit would work better or last me longer please link me what you suggest. and again if you think just getting the pieces themselves and making an all custom loop rather then a kit would be better, please give me some good suggestions and links.

Thank you for all the input ahead of time ^_~

More about : wced system

a b K Overclocking
June 7, 2012 2:52:22 PM

You'd almost definitely get better results with a decent air cooler and changing the paste under the IHS of the Ivy i5 with high quality paste than taking the i5 and using a water cooler without changing the paste beneath the IHS. Ivy's heat problem isn't big heat generation; Ivy's heat problem is getting the heat to the IHS so that whatever cooler you have can do it's job properly.

Also, I'm not a water cooling expert, but I think that those setups are a little expensive, especially considering that you could probably get a near 5GHz overclock on the i5-3570K (assuming that this is your goal) on a $30 to $60 air cooler if you change out the paste under the IHS with top quality paste.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
June 7, 2012 3:21:14 PM

the second kit is not a bad starter kit but I don't like kits I like the custom loops mainly because as you become more comfortable with water cooling the ability to upgrade is a lot easier
Shopping Cart
Item Options Unit Price Qty. In Stock Cost
XSPC RayStorm CPU Water Block (Intel) - LGA 2011 Compatible [remove]
• Choose your fittings : No Fittings $49.99
$49.99
Swiftech MCP655-B 12v DC Watercooling Pump w/Tach Sensor [remove]
$69.99
$69.99
Swiftech MCR320-QP Quiet Power 3X120mm Radiator - Matte Black [remove]
• Choose your fittings : No Fittings $46.99
$46.99
Tygon 2375 3/8in. ID 1/2in. OD Ultra Chemical Resistant Tubing # AJK00027 [remove]
$2.35
$23.50
Bitspower G 1/4in. True Brass Fitting for 3/8in. Tubing #BP-TBWP-C02 [remove]
$1.75
$7.00
Arctic Cooling Arctic F8 80x25mm PWM High Performance Case Fan [remove]
$3.99
$11.97
Blue Fan Adapter - 80 to 120mm [remove]
$1.99
$5.97

Subtotal: $215.41
Total: $215.41

here is parts list for a custom loop that will handle a CPU and at sidewinder computers it is not that expensive right now to build one you will still need a Fill/Flush system added to the loop but this gives you a idea about how to build one yourself without breaking the bank and it will outperform any air cooler out there.
a c 149 K Overclocking
June 7, 2012 3:27:22 PM

Where's the res? Or is it one of those build in ones?
a b K Overclocking
June 7, 2012 3:42:28 PM

no res it's a added expense but if he wanted one I would suggest the bits power multi-z 250 I like them and I use them but that is my preference I have run systems for years and never had one so I know that they are not needed but they do make life a little easier
a c 149 K Overclocking
June 7, 2012 3:50:09 PM

How do you fill the system up then? :heink: 
a b K Overclocking
June 7, 2012 4:10:05 PM

here is the type of fill/flush system i use

the three valves allow you to force the loop through a make shift res allowing you to remove air from the system fill it with coolent or flush the system when flushing ues two containers one filled with coolent and the other empty to catch the flushed coolent in.

i use this mix for cleaning then i flush it out and i always have a fliter on the inlet hose to make certin that nothing unwanted makes it's way into the system.
June 8, 2012 5:43:35 AM

toolmaker_03 said:
the second kit is not a bad starter kit but I don't like kits I like the custom loops mainly because as you become more comfortable with water cooling the ability to upgrade is a lot easier
Shopping Cart
Item Options Unit Price Qty. In Stock Cost
XSPC RayStorm CPU Water Block (Intel) - LGA 2011 Compatible [remove]
• Choose your fittings : No Fittings $49.99
$49.99
Swiftech MCP655-B 12v DC Watercooling Pump w/Tach Sensor [remove]
$69.99
$69.99
Swiftech MCR320-QP Quiet Power 3X120mm Radiator - Matte Black [remove]
• Choose your fittings : No Fittings $46.99
$46.99
Tygon 2375 3/8in. ID 1/2in. OD Ultra Chemical Resistant Tubing # AJK00027 [remove]
$2.35
$23.50
Bitspower G 1/4in. True Brass Fitting for 3/8in. Tubing #BP-TBWP-C02 [remove]
$1.75
$7.00
Arctic Cooling Arctic F8 80x25mm PWM High Performance Case Fan [remove]
$3.99
$11.97
Blue Fan Adapter - 80 to 120mm [remove]
$1.99
$5.97

Subtotal: $215.41
Total: $215.41

here is parts list for a custom loop that will handle a CPU and at sidewinder computers it is not that expensive right now to build one you will still need a Fill/Flush system added to the loop but this gives you a idea about how to build one yourself without breaking the bank and it will outperform any air cooler out there.

If I am reading this right then you are suggesting that I get two pumps for 70 bucks each? also totaled up its more toward 240ish. I do plan on getting a Res. I am wanting to run distilled with kill coils in the res. What would the added extra pump do for a single loop like this?

Also what should I add to prevent any corrosion. I have read a bit that I should have an additive to it however have not seen a brand suggested unless I just missed it in the sticky.

:sol: 

Also to the post on air cooling. While I agree you can get 4.5 ish with a good cooler and some good paste(I always use AS5), I feel that a air cooler would not run above that at temps that I am ok with. Ivy Bridge does get toasty at 4.6 ish and above. I may even get an i7 if the bank account allows me too ^_^
a b K Overclocking
June 8, 2012 5:57:07 AM

no you only would need one pump, i dont think i understand how you came to that conclusion

I use water wetter for corrosion control and you still have algae growth to worry about this is what I will be putting in my new loop

97% distilled water 3% water wetter and 3 drops of the algae guard, not all HTH products are copper base in fact as far as I know this is the only one.
June 8, 2012 7:27:07 PM

Thanks for the info toolmaker_03. I was asking about two pumps due to the suggested parts having two pumps each at 69.99, and I thought it was odd. Sounds like water wetter will be good for the corrosion inhibitor. I will prob use some type of algae guard along with a killcoil as most say that is more than enough.
!