How Well Would CPU Support System Upgrade?

I have a Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz that works great for me and delivers all I need, handling office documents, web browsing, music, movies and gaming. The most I multitask is when I back-up my information and simultaneously browse the internet. Would a 4 core i5-670 be what I need in a new system?

My biggest issue would be about gaming. I play on a 19" LCD at 1280x1024 and my system does just fine at top or very near top settings, with a 9800GTX+ graphics card. I'm looking to buy a 21.5" widescreen LCD, and play at 1920x1080 with a Radeon HD 5850. What I'm wondering is how much of the performance would rely on the CPU, and how well would my current CPU handle it?
5 answers Last reply
More about support system upgrade
  1. Your CPU is absolutely fine even for GTX295 and HD5870.

You don't need a quad core CPU unless GTA IV is your favorite game.

p.s. The only quad core i5 is 750. i5-670 is a dual core CPU.
  2. Thanks a lot for the help, that's good to know.

I don't mean to sidetrack the topic too much, but why would GTA IV be more CPU intensive? I've also heard that Flight Simulator is the same.

I was intending to write i5 750 2.66GHz, but I copy-pasted wrong, and apparently I'm not allowed to edit my own posts.
  3. dirk101 said:
    Thanks a lot for the help, that's good to know.

I don't mean to sidetrack the topic too much, but why would GTA IV be more CPU intensive? I've also heard that Flight Simulator is the same.

I was intending to write i5 750 2.66GHz, but I copy-pasted wrong, and apparently I'm not allowed to edit my own posts.

Because GTA IV utilizes all four cores which most current games do not.
  4. So is FSX. Here's and old thread from here where that is discussed in exhausting detail:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274213-10-proposed-system
  5. Thanks a lot, that thread was an informative read.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs