Sign in with
Your question

My screen turns off after 20 min even with 'never' power setting

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2010 5:12:26 PM

Hi,

I've recently built a computer. My problem is it turns the screen off after about 20 minutes even if I'm watching a video (which normally blocks any power saving feature).

I've changed the power setting to never turn off the monitor and turned the screensaver off.

But the screen still goes blank and off after 20min inactivity and comes back when I move the mouse/press the keyboard.

the specs are:

Asus pq5 pro turbo
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
4gb kingston Pc2-8500 ram
I started with a Gforce FX5500 card, then upgraded to PNY Geforce GTS250 1GB.
Made no difference so I'm guessing it's not to do with the graphics card.

Also tried XP and Win7 (both 64bit) but the problem is still the same.

My hunch is that it has something to do with the motherboard setup but I can't find anything relevant in the bios or it's manual.

Any ides wellcome.
Thanks
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2010 5:23:27 PM

If you go to the Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Power Options - off to the side select Choose when to turn off the display - what does it show as the time for turning off the display ?? sometimes it does not get updated properly so check there and update as needed.
June 27, 2010 5:36:27 PM

Also, if your computer has profile options, make sure you have it on the right profile. Even though this may not likely be the case, I'm just providing troubleshooting options. :) 
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 27, 2010 2:15:20 AM

hey my computer is doing the same thing, i watch a movie and it just turns off about every 20ish minutes, my settings are so it turns off after 3 hours not sure what the issue is, never used to have this problem was wondering if anyone knows the solution... it would make my life so much better if anyone could help me out!!!

thanks in advance!
December 6, 2012 4:51:48 AM

JDFan said:
If you go to the Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Power Options - off to the side select Choose when to turn off the display - what does it show as the time for turning off the display ?? sometimes it does not get updated properly so check there and update as needed.

Finally somebody that knows what they are talkin about. Thanks!
!