video card for AMD Athlon

gortech

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I have an AMD Athlon 1.67 GHZ Processor with 1.25 GB ram. I upgraded to windows 7 and now when I play card games it is unbearably slow. What video card do I need with this system?

Solution
For basic card games, upgrading your video card probably won't do you any good. You are going to need a faster CPU, and some more RAM would be nice. If you have the budget for it, I would recommend upgrading your motherboard, CPU, and get some new RAM. If not, then the best you can do is try to find out what your motherboard supports, max out the RAM, and try to find the best CPU your board can handle on eBay. If your board is decent and supports at least a 333 FSB, then you can probably get an Athlon 3000+ for it over on eBay. If your FSB is limited to 266, then you are likely limited to the 2400+ and below.

clokwerk1945

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I would guess it isn't a video card issue more of a ram issue. Also, a 1.67 processor is incredibly slow. I would have upgraded the mobo, processor and ram before shelling out cash for Win7. You can find new amd chips and mother boards that are about twice the speed your running with 2 cores for ~ $110 total. Also 2 gigs of ram costs about $30 bucks and would be well worth the investment. I realize you're just playing card games, but using Win7 with that set up anything will be slow.

For basic card games, upgrading your video card probably won't do you any good. You are going to need a faster CPU, and some more RAM would be nice. If you have the budget for it, I would recommend upgrading your motherboard, CPU, and get some new RAM. If not, then the best you can do is try to find out what your motherboard supports, max out the RAM, and try to find the best CPU your board can handle on eBay. If your board is decent and supports at least a 333 FSB, then you can probably get an Athlon 3000+ for it over on eBay. If your FSB is limited to 266, then you are likely limited to the 2400+ and below.

Solution
Yep, sorry to say that your system is really under powered, a video card is not going to help you especially with card games. The graphic card is simply not the problem, and a faster one will not help you.
Basically, your whole system is just being choked to crawl by Win7.

gortech

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009

Thanks for the reply. I have been looking for a new motherboard/cpu combo. My existing board is an AMD m7sau and I am not sure what boards are compatable with the power supply arrangement. Also not sure if ddr memory will work with ddr2. Do you have any info on either?

Thanks