Question about SSDs and CD/DVD/BD burning

g-unit1111

Titan
I just got an LG BD-R burner for my system. However, I can't burn anything past a 4GB single layer DVD. If I want to burn anything else with a higher storage capacity (8GB DVD-R, 25GB BDR), I'm SOL due to the space limitations on my 64GB SSD. Is there any way to set a designated burning folder on my secondary 1TB Samsung Spinpoint? Is it possible to tell Windows 7 to do that since it normally defaults to the C: drive?

???????

That must be a function of scratch space used by your burning software; disc burners are not limited by the amount of free space on your system drive.

1) What software are you using to burn the disc? Win7 just-plain-drag-to-disc, Nero, some other package?

2) Can you find a configuration setting to relocate the scratch space that it seems to be using to the HDD?

3) If you can burn the disc in multiple sessions, not closing it after the first one but closing it after the last, would this solve your problem? See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multisession#Sessions

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
Wyoming is correct: it is the burning software that allocates the disk cache. However, I'd also look at the specs of the burner. Make sure that it can burn a dual layer. If the hardware don't work that don't mean you're a jerk. (With apologies to the late Johnny Cochrane).

g-unit1111

Titan

1) I was using Windows but I have a full Nero license that came with a DVD burner I bought.

2) I'm not sure what you mean by that - is this something that can be done in the control panel?

3) I generally tend to use single sessions - I do a LOT of disc burning at work - I have 2 DVD burners (one internal, one external) and the BD-R burner I just bought, I was using the built-in CD burning software that came with Windows but if I have to use Nero for that purpose I'm fine with it.

Well, my guess is that whatever software is writing to the drive is making a temp copy of all the files to be written in one place, for some reason. If the temp copy is on your system drive, and exceeds the free space on your system drive, then you run out of room. This is just a (good) guess.

Some things to try:

The next time you burn, take a look in your /temp directory and see if there is a directory there that contains copies of all the files that you are burning. If so, at least we know the cause.

Change your Windows setting for temp directory. I'm on XP right now and you are using 7, I think. Find out how to set Environment Variables (in XP it's My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Environment variables). The variable TEMP is probably set to C:\temp. Create a D:\scratch, and change the value of TEMP to D:\scratch. If this solves the problem, we know that it was writing temp data to TEMP and moving TEMP to a drive with more space solved it.

I kind of have to guess-and-hint without access to the actual machine.