Dell Inspiron 9100 Pros - Cons

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
July 4, 2004 8:54:50 PM

I am considering a Dell 9100 this year and was wondering if anyone could
advise any pros or cons with this laptop?

First time ever dealing with Dell and I was wondering about their service
after purchase of the laptop?

They offer new Microsoft Office software with these laptops and I already
own Microsoft Office 97 software which I am perfectly happy with, but will
it work in these new laptops with the XP operating system??

Thanks in advance
Roy
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 4, 2004 11:42:22 PM

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 16:54:50 -0400, Roy wrote
(in article <40e86daa$0$3072$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>):

> I am considering a Dell 9100 this year and was wondering if anyone could
> advise any pros or cons with this laptop?
>
> First time ever dealing with Dell and I was wondering about their service
> after purchase of the laptop?
>
> They offer new Microsoft Office software with these laptops and I already
> own Microsoft Office 97 software which I am perfectly happy with, but will
> it work in these new laptops with the XP operating system??
>
> Thanks in advance
> Roy

Cons:
- No ability to "dock" to a docking station / port replicator. (This may be
a problem for some .. it is for me.) <-- If you need this, go with the 8600

- Customer service: Dell used to be among the best, now they are among the
worst. (Sorry ... I love Dell but I'll never advocate their current customer
service situation)

Office 97 should work fine with this laptop and Windows XP.
July 5, 2004 1:31:09 AM

Well, the con's for me would be that it's big (2" thick), heavy (about 10
pounds, I think), and the AC adapter is in a class by itself (almost 2
pounds, I think, and big). The screen on mine seems quite nice, and
performance should be good, once I get it set up properly. I'm hoping the
HT processor will help with SQL Server running on my machine; we'll have to
see about that. The 60GB 7200 rpm drive should also help, compared to the
4200 or 5400 rpm drives that are also out there in laptops. Personally, I
don't care about the video card, but if you're into games, it's supposed to
be one of the best available in a laptop, I think.

What do you plan on doing with your laptop?

BTW, I think mine is going back soon, like next week. See my posting about
"New Inspiron won't use the ATI video drivers". I'm hoping it's not a QA
issue in general, and I just got a dud. But considering it wouldn't even
fire up out of the box, I'm really not impressed. It's possible, I guess,
that something got shook loose in transit, but considering it works fine if
I use the VGA drivers, but just doesn't work with the ATI drivers, I'm
thinking that's not it.

Clint

"Roy" <tracky@starpower.net> wrote in message
> I am considering a Dell 9100 this year and was wondering if anyone could
> advise any pros or cons with this laptop?
>
> First time ever dealing with Dell and I was wondering about their service
> after purchase of the laptop?
>
> They offer new Microsoft Office software with these laptops and I already
> own Microsoft Office 97 software which I am perfectly happy with, but will
> it work in these new laptops with the XP operating system??
>
> Thanks in advance
> Roy

Related resources
July 5, 2004 1:31:10 AM

> What do you plan on doing with your laptop?

Basically to replace this Winbook Si laptop and upgrade into something which
can handle gaming in addition to run-of-the-mill computing and web surfing.
Lots of graphics involved with designing some add-on activies to certain
games which I would like to try.

The weight isn't a problem since this machine will not be traveling out of
the house.

Thanks for the input regards this model.
Roy
July 5, 2004 2:26:56 AM

Oh yeah, and the battery life on the 9100 isn't anything to write home
about. I've heard 1.5 to 2 hours. Haven't tested mine too much yet.

If this is replacing another laptop, I would imagine it kicks @ss. If only
it wasn't so damn big, I'd be happy. It doesn't fit very well in my
existing case, so I think I'm going to be heading out to pick up a new one.
Once I finally get a computer that works properly, that is.

Good luck!

> > What do you plan on doing with your laptop?
>
> Basically to replace this Winbook Si laptop and upgrade into something
which
> can handle gaming in addition to run-of-the-mill computing and web
surfing.
> Lots of graphics involved with designing some add-on activies to certain
> games which I would like to try.
>
> The weight isn't a problem since this machine will not be traveling out of
> the house.
>
> Thanks for the input regards this model.
> Roy

July 5, 2004 4:55:29 AM

I'll sure agree with the docking station issue! Who in their right mind
makes a desktop replacement without a docking station?

Clint

"SinghaLvr" <singhalvr@charter.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 16:54:50 -0400, Roy wrote
> (in article <40e86daa$0$3072$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>):
>
> > I am considering a Dell 9100 this year and was wondering if anyone could
> > advise any pros or cons with this laptop?
> >
> > First time ever dealing with Dell and I was wondering about their
service
> > after purchase of the laptop?
> >
> > They offer new Microsoft Office software with these laptops and I
already
> > own Microsoft Office 97 software which I am perfectly happy with, but
will
> > it work in these new laptops with the XP operating system??
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Roy
> >

> Cons:
> - No ability to "dock" to a docking station / port replicator. (This may
be
> a problem for some .. it is for me.) <-- If you need this, go with the
8600

> - Customer service: Dell used to be among the best, now they are among the
> worst. (Sorry ... I love Dell but I'll never advocate their current
customer
> service situation)
>
> Office 97 should work fine with this laptop and Windows XP.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 5, 2004 4:55:30 AM

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 20:55:29 -0400, Clint wrote
(in article <5G1Gc.959558$Pk3.660786@pd7tw1no>):

> I'll sure agree with the docking station issue! Who in their right mind
> makes a desktop replacement without a docking station?
>
> Clint

It was the reason I skipped over the 9100.
My problem with the 8600 was lack of a touchpoint device.

In the end I decided to stick with my 8200 a little longer and hope something
more suitable comes along.

> "SinghaLvr" <singhalvr@charter.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 16:54:50 -0400, Roy wrote
>> (in article <40e86daa$0$3072$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>):
>>
>>> I am considering a Dell 9100 this year and was wondering if anyone could
>>> advise any pros or cons with this laptop?
>>>
>>> First time ever dealing with Dell and I was wondering about their
> service
>>> after purchase of the laptop?
>>>
>>> They offer new Microsoft Office software with these laptops and I
> already
>>> own Microsoft Office 97 software which I am perfectly happy with, but
> will
>>> it work in these new laptops with the XP operating system??
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> Roy
>>>

>> Cons:
>> - No ability to "dock" to a docking station / port replicator. (This may
> be
>> a problem for some .. it is for me.) <-- If you need this, go with the
> 8600
>>
>> - Customer service: Dell used to be among the best, now they are among the
>> worst. (Sorry ... I love Dell but I'll never advocate their current
> customer
>> service situation)
>>
>> Office 97 should work fine with this laptop and Windows XP.

July 5, 2004 6:25:58 AM

Well, I ended up getting the 9100. I figure I can plug in the stuff I need
to in the morning. I ordered an extra AC adapter so I don't end up crawling
under the desk every day, though. And I've got one of the Belkin "port
replicators" on it's way to me, so I can just plug in the one USB device to
get me all the connections I need besides the monitor.

!