Q6600 overheating

l0si3k

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
I've been experiencing some problems with game stability lately, so I decided to check my PC temperatures. At first I thought it was the GPU overheating, but after some stress tests I found out that my CPU runs at 60C while being idle, and it rises to ~90C when playing games. I took off my case, I cleaned the heatsink, but none of that helped (even slightly). Last time I applied cooling paste was around half a year ago. What to do? :S

My specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7229) (7229.winmain.090604-1901)
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

I hope you reapplied new paste after you cleaned it and reassembled the HSF for a start?

The std HSF with the Q6600 is sufficient ... even for a mild overclock.

After you have done that tidy up the cabling inside and clean the inlet and outlet fans on the case and the filters (if you have them.

Then post what your idle is.

Make sure you have speedstep turned on - via the bios - as it works a treat.

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/core2quad/specifications.htm
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=29765

Stock 9 X 266 (quad pumped to 1066FSB) = 2.4Ghz

Good OC setting 9 X 333 (quad pumped to 1333FSB = 3Ghz

You should be able to run it at 3Ghz on stock voltage.

Hope this helps.

l0si3k

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Oh, there's also this issue, I forgot to mention it - the fan on the back of my case doesn't even turn on until the temperature reaches high levels, any idea what that might be? (my side case is off, so that shouldn't be that much of a problem, though) I suppose the flow would be better if I put my side case back on and if the fan worked, yeah?

Also, I'm getting a better paste tommorow, going to post results.

Great ... don't run it till you reapply the paste.

Yes you need a fan that pretty constantly pumps heat out of the case.

Id suggest looking into why it isn't turning on and running constantly ... there is possibly a setting inside the bios so take a look - hit <del> on bootup and look around ... I don't suggest changing anything unless your familiar with teleportation technology.

Cheers.

What are you using to monitor your temperatures? Some programs are better than other.

Is the HSF properly installed? Unfortunately, you almost need to install the HSF before you put the motherboard in the case to be certain.

Your idle temps shouldn't be more than 35 C or so.

l0si3k

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Applying the new paste helped. It's 50C during games now, thanks a lot. I didn't even know you have to change the paste so (relatively) often. Anyway, any tips on how often should I change it?

Oh, and I assume that I can overclock the CPU (as mentioned before) safely?

TRENDING THREADS