New Water Cooling Set-Up *UPDATE*

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
So after finding many more options, I decided to post another thread with updated parts.

XSPC 2x120mm Radiator Slim + fans
XSPC 120mm Radiator + fans
XSPC Raystorm OR Swiftech Apogee HD (Help deciding please)
Koolance Single Bay Reservoir TNK-501
Swiftech MCP655 Pump (any other suggestions? I'm trying to go 3/8 OD but I saw a video and I know it will work with some tricks)
Koolance VID-NX680
Compression fittings 3/8 5/8
Hose 3/8 ID 5/8 OD

Also, can you tell me if these parts will work together. So will the pump have enough power, etc.
Thanks

The swiftech MCP655 is a half inch pump and it puts a LOT of pressure on the water. If you do not use half inch tubing you could risk a lot of leaks or worse. If you want to stick with 3/8ths I suggest you use the MCP355 instead. I have it and it works well

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

So if I switch all my tubing parts to 1/2 inch, could I keep the pump? And the only question I have is that the pump only pumps at around 7.6L/minute. What about an all in one solution like the previous pump I had, the Koolance RP-985?

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
your original tubing size is fine for the MCP 655 pump I use 1/2 OD 3/8 ID tubing on all my build with no issues
tests1baseline004.jpg

that's what the tubing size is that I have here and you can see the resulting flow rate is not restricted by that size tubing
tests1baseline008.jpg

the first number represents the flow rate the second represents the motor speed

The 355 pumps around 7.5L/min but still has over 4 meters of headroom. The 655 pumps about 20L/min and also has at least 4 meters of headroom. Both of them are heavy duty pumps and should only be used with matched tubing and either hose clamps or compression fittings. The barbs themselves have a standard screw diameter (g1/4 threading) so only the barb diameter is important. Please be warned that while compression fittings are very nice looking they are usually a bit wider than most barbs and may have a hard time fitting on some devices. It's a good idea to have a few standard barbs and cheap hose clamps on hand.

You can get 1/2 inch ID tubing, hose clamps, and anti-freeze at your local automotive shop for a fraction of the price it would cost you to get them through a speciality computer shop. The Swiftech pump's excellent headroom will pump 50/50 ethylene-glycol and water antifreeze mixtures without issue.

So yes, all you have to do is switch the tubing and fittings to half-inch, it's a little bit harder to work with so I suggest you also buy some anti-kink wrapping as well to help deal with any nasty corners. It's about 5 bucks for a couple of feet and you'll be hard pressed to find it elsewhere.

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

So is everything in the build good? What about the waterblock? XSPC or Swiftech?

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012

So is everything good? And how much advantage would flow rate give me?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

Actually, DDC (MCP350/MCP355) pumps have a higher head pressure than D5 pumps (MCP655). I think what you are referring to is flow rate as the D5's do flow faster than DDC pumps in most cases, but the DDC MCP35x and MCP655 both perform very, very similarly.

MCP655 w/ specs (link)
Nominal voltage: 12 V DC
Operating voltage range: 6 to 24 VDC
Nominal power (@ 12 V): 24 W
Nominal current (@ 12 V): 2 amps
Motor type: Brushless, microprocessor controlled
Maximum head: 13 ft (4 m)
Maximum discharge: ~ 317 GPH (1200 LPH)
Connection size: 1/2" barbs (3/8" w/ conversion kit)
Maximum pressure: 50 PSI (3.5 BAR)
Temperature range: 32 °F to 140°F (0 °C to 60 °C)
Electrical connector: 4-pin Power Supply Connector
Weight: 1.4 LB (650 gr.)
Impeller Housing material: Noryl®

MCP355 w/specs (link)
Nominal voltage: 12 V DC
Operating voltage range: 8 to 13.2 VDC
Minimum starting Voltage: 9 VDC
Nominal power (@ 12 V): 18 W
Nominal current (@ 12 V): 1.46 amps
Nominal head (@ 12 V): 20.2 ft (6.1 m)
Nominal discharge (@ 12 V): ~ 120 GPH (454 LPH)
Connection size: 3/8" barbs (10mm)
Maximum pressure: 22 PSI (1.5 BAR)
Temperature range: Up to 140°F (60°C)
Power connector: Molex 4 pin
Weight: 7.3 oz (207 gr.)
Swiftech's noise measurement: 30 ~ 32 dBA in a quiet room @ 2'
(non lab environment)
Motor type: Electronically commutated, brushless DC, spherical motor
Pump MTBF: 50,000 Hours
(Mean Time Between Failures)
RPM Sensor: 3 pin connector

I think that your source is wrong. Swiftech lists 4.5M for the 355 and 4M for the 655 on their own website. They are both 12v impellers so the head should be very close with the drop being proportional to the volume of the cylinder

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

both seem to work well but the XSPC seems to have a little advantage over the swiftech so if it is a new buy than go with the XPSC for the CPU i did.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
If that's the case, where does FrozenCPU get the specs they list for these Swiftech branded pumps, then?

They are both 12v impellers so the head should be very close with the drop being proportional to the volume of the cylinder

Voltage isn't what is determining the head; it's the pump design- impellers in both are quite different, they spin at different RPMs and operating wattage/amps are different. If you over-volt a DDC, you can get closer to a D5 performance, but at the expense of more heat and limitations of the PCB circuitry used in the pump version being used.

I'm not trying to argue this to details- it's very likely that FrozenCPU has some weird numbers, but not sure where they would be getting them? Either pump is an excellent choice, so no disagreement there. Although, shouldn't have to worry much about pressure and fittings- if you secure your fittings well and use good clamps or ties (and leak test) your system shouldn't be pressurized. Your pump is pushing water as much as it is pulling it through your loop.

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
I will probably keep the same tubing and I will go with the XSPC block, unless there are any more options given.