Sign in with
Your question

Worth waiting for Prices/Performance

Last response: in Systems
December 12, 2009 9:59:16 AM

Ive been building for the past 10 years and i'm well aware of how quickly something become outdated and how annoying it is when u go out and buy a new graphics card only to find that 2 weeks later a better one comes out and urs is 100 bucks cheaper and the new one is the same price. That being said.....

I am looking to build a new Gaming Rig and I am torn on many things. The approximate purchase date would be somewhere between Jan 15th and Feb 15th

I DO plan to overclock but i will prob not run SLI or Crossfire

CPU:
I am going to go Intel, no question, Im looking at the i7 920. The problem i have is that i know the i9 is expected to come out and i dont want to pay more than i need, should i wait till march?

Motherboard:
depends on the CPU obviously, but im looking at ASRock X58 Extreme

Memory: looking at Crucial Ballistix 6gb ddr3 1600 8-8-8-24

Drive: Okay, this is where i am REALLLLY annoyed. SSD or MOVING PARTS? With the announcement of intel's new technology i know the prices are going to drop a lot. If i do go solid state i will only go intel. What i am thinking is the best step for now would be to get a 1TB WD Black and use it later for extra storage

Case/Cooling: Knowing that i am going to overclock, is water cooling going to be worth it? i know there are a lot of mixed feelings on it being worth the money or risky... but i feel like its been out long enough to where it should be very safe if done correctly. I like the Antec 1200, and it DOES have the option for water cooling, but i would like to hear what you guys have to say.

Video Card:
Another ANNNNNNOYING area, Wait for Nvidia's new cards or Go with a Top of the line ATI card?

PSU: Antec tp-750

Optical:Basic Blueray player

Display: 1 or 2 HP w2338h Debranded (i get them dirt cheep debranded at my work)

Just a quick Review: Using for Older games + new, Playing Bluerays on a larger Flat Panel TV, Music, Programming, Business, Will run W7 64bit Premium

Any input at all on ANYTHING would be great. I appreciate it, thanks

December 12, 2009 12:27:41 PM

CPU: I won't wait for the i9's. They are going to be costly on release. I would be more incline to see when the i7 930 will be released. It is replacing the i7 920 at same price with a higher clock speed (2.8 vs 2.6).

MOBO: It is a good motherboard but I would see at the time of purchase were boards are with USB 3.0 and SATA 6GBs before making your decision.

RAM: I'm a bigger fan of the OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 with their tighter timings, which equals better performance.

HDD: A SSD is the way to go for an OS drive if you can budget it. The WD 1TB Black is a good storage drive or temp drive until you get an SSD. Also, you should look at the Samsung Spinpoint F3 drives too. They are faster and cheaper in price than the WD's.

Case/Cooling: 1) The Antec 1200 is a great case and does support water cooling. 2) I won't get water cooling unless you want OC's above 4.2GHz, otherwise a good air cooled HSF will get you to 4.0GHz.

GPU: Since no one knows when the new Nvidia cards will be released, I say at time of your purchase see what new info is out on the cards. If being released SOON (1 to 2 weeks out), I would think about waiting, otherwise get the ATI card of your choice.

Everthing else looks good...
m
l
December 12, 2009 12:33:37 PM

wait for fermis benches, that thing sounds awesome
m
l
Related resources
December 12, 2009 12:52:20 PM

eloplayspolo said:
I am looking to build a new Gaming Rig and I am torn on many things. The approximate purchase date would be somewhere between Jan 15th and Feb 15th

Worse time of year other than perhaps 6 weeks b4 XMas. Intel generally introduces the new chips at that time and follow up w/ price drops at end of february. Also, GFX vendors schedule their new gen cards for pre XMas sales but the card vendors usually come out with their tweaked designs thru spring often leading to post XMas buyers remorse.

Motherboard: A good choice if you have limited budget, but don;t expect the OC performance you'll get out of say an Asus board.

Memory: Since CAS 6 disappeared from the planet, CAS 7 has skyrocketed in price. To pick your RAM, when you buy, go to newegg and drill down through the qualifiers (DDR1600, 3 x 2GB etc till finally you choose CAS5. Sort by best price and look for the cheapest set from a brand you trust.

Drive: Unless something new hit the streets, just look for a 500 GB "per platter" drive. The WD Black 2 TB is one, the 1TB model is not. At 1 TB, you have the Seagate 7200.12 and the Spinpoint F3 to choose from. Go to THG performance charts, check the compare boxes for the two in your size range and hit compare button.....going down for the specific types of usage you anticipate, pick the drive that "wins" most of the comparisons that are important to you. For example, if you see the F3 winning transfer rate and I/O and your intent is a server, then get the F3, it you see the Seagate winning the gaming and multimedia and that's your usage, pick the Seagate.

Case/Cooling: I have an OC'd 920 with following temps under full load w/ air:

3.7 GHz, all BIOS features enabled - Core Temps 59/56/56/56
4.2 GHz, some BIOS features (HT, SS, etc) disabled - Core Temps 71/69/68/67

And the latter haven't spent much time at all.

Video Card: By late February, wait is expected to be over and hopefully we'll see non reference designs on 5xxx series.

PSU: Not putting a CP-850 in a 1200 is a crime :)  !
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... only better PSU (Antec SG series) is $100 more.

Optical: I like the Plextor 320SA

Display: I find the best buy for TN panels is the sus 1920 x 1200's .... newegg has a hard tme keeping them in stock tho. If color accuracy is important, entry point for IPS / S-PVA is one of these:

Lenovo L220x (getting scarce)
Dell 2408WFP
Dell U2410 (latest and greatest)

Watch sites like fatwallet.com for special deals which can get ya the 2410 under $500

OS - Move up to Win7-64 pro for XP Mode which may come in handy for your older games.
m
l
December 12, 2009 5:08:49 PM

Thank you very much for all the replies, glad to see not everything i have been deciding on is trash. ;) 

one of the main reasons i was going to wait for the i9 is that i would expect a massive price drop in the i7s... am i wrong?

As far as the display, i get that 23" that i posted for about 170 bucks :) 

I will also look Into the F3 Drives, im sure i will go solid state, i just think getting the large storage drive when i purchase everything else is a good way to save some cash because i will eventually be buying it anyways.

ill def go with the larger PSU

has anyone here looked into Physics, For example, would running an inexpensive card for physics be worth it? how does it stack up vs SLI?

edit: also, if i did decide to go water cooling, i would want to cool the CPU and GPU, where is a good place to start if i go with the antec 1200?

edit2: Im liking this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I think its the bets looking board i have yet to see, it would look pretty legit in a 1200 with he Blue LEDs :) 

edit3: im feeling this memory as well, reading some good things about being able to run it at 1.5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
December 12, 2009 8:48:07 PM

I do not see the i7 prices dropping. The i9's are going to start over $500. I would not wait for nvidia's cards. Who actually knows when they will be released. The Radeon series cards are the best option. By the time fermi comes out, AMD will have new cards.

I would get the 5870 if you can find one for under $400...
m
l
December 13, 2009 12:15:20 AM

eloplayspolo said:
one of the main reasons i was going to wait for the i9 is that i would expect a massive price drop in the i7s... am i wrong?

Prices drop in alte February / early March ....historically.
Quote:

As far as the display, i get that 23" that i posted for about 170 bucks :) 

Asus ones are about $199

Quote:
has anyone here looked into Physics, For example, would running an inexpensive card for physics be worth it? how does it stack up vs SLI?

I'm not a gamer, but my 3 kids are .... I have seen Batman and it's the biggest 'change" in PC gaming that I have seen in quite a while. I am the kinda guy peeps hate to go to movies with as I am pointing out that tires don't make screeching sounds on dirt roads and there can't be sounds and fire in space battles. So when you fire a missile at an opponent and miss, and the plaster wall behind it comes out w/ a "smudge" I get prickly. PhysX changes that. You can read about it / see it here and make up mind for yaself.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/batman-arkham-asylu...
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/batman_arkham_asylu...

Quote:
edit: also, if i did decide to go water cooling, i would want to cool the CPU and GPU, where is a good place to start if i go with the antec 1200?

Antec 1200 has build in accommodations for water cooling

Quote:
edit2: Im liking this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I think its the bets looking board i have yet to see, it would look pretty legit in a 1200 with he Blue LEDs :) 

Your not going to see much of it w/ a biug HS in there and twin fans. But USB3 and 6 GB SATA is future roof up the gazoo .... only thing ya could ask for is SAS.

Quote:
edit3: im feeling this memory as well, reading some good things about being able to run it at 1.5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Looking here .... the only cheaper choice at CAS7 is the Mushkin

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

RAM prices have skyrocketed....XMas shortage I guess .... I bought CAS 6 for $200 just 6 weeks ago.
m
l
December 13, 2009 3:11:22 AM

Thanks Jack.

as far as the 1200, haha im aware it has the water cooling option, i was asking what would be a good setup to run along side it.

im also in a bit jumbled up now with SLI and physX. Im thinking that maybe ill get a 4800 series ATI card now or Even a good Nvidia card and then maybe run it as physX.... SO MUCH to think about now than 10 years ago, IT WAS SO SIMPLE!

can i get some input on these please. Thanks for everything guys!
m
l
December 13, 2009 10:07:51 PM

eloplayspolo said:
as far as the 1200, haha im aware it has the water cooling option, i was asking what would be a good setup to run along side it.

im also in a bit jumbled up now with SLI and physX. Im thinking that maybe ill get a 4800 series ATI card now or Even a good Nvidia card and then maybe run it as physX.... SO MUCH to think about now than 10 years ago, IT WAS SO SIMPLE!

can i get some input on these please. Thanks for everything guys!

I wouldn't go down the water cooling option... IMO. It isn't required unless you plan on extreme overclocking. A good air cooled HSF will provide great cooling in the Antec 1200 with it's great air flow. Plus for a good water cooling setup, you are looking at a $200+ additional cost.

I won't not purchase a separate card for physX. It isn't worth the the extra cost for little benefit in gaming (if the game even supports it or not!!). I would stick with either ATI or Nvidia cards and don't mix them for physX... IMO. If you are wanting physX, stick with the GTX275 for your graphics card or wait for GTX3xx. If not, I recommend either the ATI 5850 or ATI 5870, which are perfect for your monitor.
m
l
December 14, 2009 2:21:24 AM

tecmo34 said:
I wouldn't go down the water cooling option... IMO. It isn't required unless you plan on extreme overclocking. A good air cooled HSF will provide great cooling in the Antec 1200 with it's great air flow. Plus for a good water cooling setup, you are looking at a $200+ additional cost.

I guess I shuda mentioned that my son is running 4.3 GHz in a 1200 w/ a Prolimatech Megahalems with core temps in the 60's.
m
l
December 14, 2009 9:45:27 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
I guess I shuda mentioned that my son is running 4.3 GHz in a 1200 w/ a Prolimatech Megahalems with core temps in the 60's.

^+1.... A prime example why WC isn't required or nessecary for OCing.

@JackNaylorPE: Your son has an impressive overclock with the i7 920!!! I have mine only at 3.2 GHz (by choice... Don't see the need for higher).
m
l
December 14, 2009 3:18:28 PM

JackNaylorPE said:

very impressive, what memory, board is he using?
m
l
December 14, 2009 9:11:31 PM

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as...
Along with a 150 dollar i5 from microcenter

I know ive jumped around a lot.... but this seems like a verrrrrrrry good deal. and something that can last me for a few years.

Does this seem like something that will play games with VERY VERY VERY good looking frames? my reason for going back to a PC is that i know there arent any new consoles coming out for some time, and i enjoy playing FPS games on a Desktop much more.
m
l
December 16, 2009 7:52:02 PM

tecmo34 said:
^+1.... A prime example why WC isn't required or nessecary for OCing.

@JackNaylorPE: Your son has an impressive overclock with the i7 920!!! I have mine only at 3.2 GHz (by choice... Don't see the need for higher).

His every day OC is @ 3.7 Ghz BCLK 177 x Auto ....nothing in BIOS disabled.....HT still on voltage at 1.125

His, "hey dad let's just see how far we can go for testing purposes" OC is 4.3 stable....validated 4.4 bit OCCT brings it to its knees quickly . Just.... a few things turned off.... speed step, HT 1 or 2 other items disabled.
m
l
December 16, 2009 7:57:20 PM

eloplayspolo said:
very impressive, what memory, board is he using?

Asus R2E
Mushkin 998692 w/ Ascent coolers 6-7-6-18 timings
Antec SG-850

I credit the stable power flow end to end from the PSU to the board's design.....OCCT voltage graphs are pancakes.

most impressive thing for me is neither of us had ever tried going over 20% before....he could never be bothered and I didn't have the patience......2 BSOD's and I'm like "enuff of that" ..... but it's been a fun thing for us to do together, both of us learning along the way and having something to do together.....
m
l
!