masonace4365

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Hello,
i have a dell dimension L700cx computer which i had no problems with before i had a copy of windows installed(illegal) and finally got a legal copy and tried to install it i couldn't get the computer to boot to the windows disk checked bios boot sequence and all cables so i decided to boot to ubuntu and i got into ubuntu which surprised me because i couldn't boot to windows so i formatted the hard drive and rebooted thinking that it was a conflict with windows already being installed tried to boot to windows install disk but i couldn't so i gave up for a while and put it in the closet for a good while about 1 year and took it out to "play" with it and now i don't get a display on boot fans all spin and hard drive spins and CD/DVD drive ejects and takes in a CD/DVD i have checked the jumpers on the drives and the wires but don't know what to do now

masonace4365

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
i don't know what happened but it works now on the integrated card um... thank you?
Ok on to computer #3 i have a custom built one and it freezes all the time its not something in windows because it happens in ubuntu also so any ideas?

Probably a broken graphics card then.

Computer number 3? what happened to #2 lol?

What are the specs and how old is it? Ever overclock it? When it freezes, try pressing the caps lock on num lock key and tell me if you can make the indicator light on the keyboard go on and off while it is frozen.
I had the same problem with a Pentium III system on stock speeds. Kinda weird. I lowered it from 1GHz to 930Mhz and it stopped freezing.

masonace4365

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
It has a amd antholon xp prosessor, 768mb of ram 20gb harddrive primary 20gb harddrive secondary 2 cd drives 1 3 1/2 floppy drive 1 5.25 floppy drive USB pci card I don't know what exatly what overclock means and no I can't see the lights change I don't know how old it is got it at a yardsale ($2)

TRENDING THREADS