qbit

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Its not a case of them not making a motherboard for a dual phenom, its the fact that the processor has to be designed to work in a dual cpu situation (which the opterons are and the phenoms aren't, which is part of the price difference between the two chips.)

Well with what you said are the I7s designed for dual setup.

OutsideShooter

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
If Opterons are for this specific use, server-style, do they make sense in a business class photography rendering workflow? I render rather large images using lots of software for generating Alternative images and need speed. Don't care if it is Intel or AMD.

And for my use is there a CPU you might recommend? Obviously I don't mind paying for it, but I don't want to spend 1000 dollars on it alone.

Thanks

rosenberg1979

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
unless you really want to shell out for a quad socket F board to fill with 6 core opterons which it doesn't look like you do, but i would like to use a 24core rig just to see. I think a dual xenon would be the best bet, the e5506 and e5520 seem to sit at a good price point, and i believe thats what are used in the dual cpu and single cpu macpros respectively. Asus makes a couple dual xenon workstation boards in the atx form factor so you can use conventional cases.

OutsideShooter

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007

Maybe nothing. Are you familiar with how much processing power it takes to render large images when adjusted with software apps? Resizing, sharpening, filtering, and so on. I watch my pc sometimes for minutes with other apps open, so I can accomplish other tasks as I do the image workflow. I'm here just asking.

My brother-in-law has a web based graphics design business in New Hampshire, so - yes. :) Most of his work runs relatively quickly. Some of the other work he does, well, a man's gotta eat. And that is what he does.

And, yes, time is money. This is one of the few areas outside of scientific computing and modeling where you need all the power you can get.

OutsideShooter

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007

........and so your recommendation of a single CPU, the i7 900, stands? As I said I don't mind paying for the power, but I am not looking for that giant rack of antlers to brag about (that is clock speed). I just want more than adequate power for a sensible & reasonable value.