Local area connection adapter driver failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

mchlgn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Hello,
I have a Windows 7 computer with a DSL connection via ethernet. I lost my connection a week ago. A T & T has verified that there are no problems with the DSL line or the modem, and for good measure I bought a new ethernet cable. Windows 7 Diagnostics reports that there might be a problem with the Local Area Connection Adapter driver, but doesn't say what the problem is or what to do about it. When I visited the Device Manager, the adapter was shown to be enabled and working properly. Does anyone have any answers?

Solution
Use Windows System Info, or the device Manager to identify the model number of your Ethernet Device,
Then jump on another computer (With an internet connection) and download that driver specific to your operating system, (Put on external Device)
Go back to the faulty system, and remove the driver, using device manager, Re-boot, and load on the driver you have downloaded.
Then Re-boot and test your connection,
If this does not work I would recommend getting a Usb > Ethernet converter and completing all Windows optional Updates - which may pick-up the driver and could fix the issue..

This is just one resolution to one of the possibilities that could be causing the issue.

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Use Windows System Info, or the device Manager to identify the model number of your Ethernet Device,
Then jump on another computer (With an internet connection) and download that driver specific to your operating system, (Put on external Device)
Go back to the faulty system, and remove the driver, using device manager, Re-boot, and load on the driver you have downloaded.
Then Re-boot and test your connection,
If this does not work I would recommend getting a Usb > Ethernet converter and completing all Windows optional Updates - which may pick-up the driver and could fix the issue..

This is just one resolution to one of the possibilities that could be causing the issue.

Solution

mchlgn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010

Am I supposed to find these three in one place?, because I was unable to do so. I was able to find the DHCP Enabled:, but there was no value following the colon. I was also able to find the IPv4 in another place where it was not supplied an address, not even a zero. I was unable to find IPv4 DNS Servers:.

mchlgn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010

I used a driver updater program that updated the Realtek LAN ethernet device driver on 8/30/11. While I doubted there has been an update since then, I went to the Realtek web site where I could not identify any part numbers corresponding to the part number of my device. I bought a USB to Ethernet converter 10 days ago and I get the same message from Windows Diagnostics that I get for the ethernet adapter: there might be a problem with the Local Area Connection Adapter driver. In this case it surely cannot be a case of an outdated driver.

mchlgn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010

Wombat,

Your idea of installing a fresh driver was the solution. I was never to able to match the driver that corresponded to my device by its part number, but I was able to figure it out eventually. And not a moment too soon, as I had lost nearly all of my resistance to doing an OS reinstall. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your interest and assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.