Sign in with
Your question

Is a 500W PSU powerful enough to run this desktop?

Last response: in Components
February 21, 2010 2:26:46 PM

Hello,

I'm looking at gaming desktops and I found this cheap Zoostorm desktop for £500.

Here are the specs:
Intel Quad Core Q8300 2.5GHz
4GB RAM
750GB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GTS250
Windows 7 Home Premium

More detailed specifications at http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176496

I'm just wondering if the power supply will be enough to keep the desktop running for a long time.

I am planning to use the desktop for high-end gaming.

Any help is appreciated.

P.S. is Zoostorm a trustworthy brand? It got great reviews and it seems to be good, but I've just never heard of it.
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
February 21, 2010 4:18:25 PM

A quality 500 watt power supply is sufficient. The problem is the web site does not identify the brand and model of the power supply. The lack of detailed specifications is a problem with off the shelf pc's.

Zoostorm is a UK form that is unknown in the USA. Perhaps one of the UK members can provide information.
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
February 21, 2010 4:21:34 PM

I doubt a manufacturer would sell a computer with a power supply that cannot supply enough power.

"For a long time"? How long? Generally the power supply will not degrade enough to make a difference.
Related resources
a c 144 ) Power supply
February 22, 2010 11:44:15 AM

I don't know, enzo. Based on my experience with inexpensive power supplies and generic power supplies, they tend to last 1 - 2 years. (My company went cheap in Saudi Arabia. :(  )

OTOH, one of my systems had a seven year old Antec 400 that was still going strong.
February 22, 2010 5:36:48 PM

I'm hoping that the computer could last me up to 3 years or longer.
My brother has had a bad experience with his computer off ebay. It lasted him a year and then broke and i don't want the same problem.
If the 500W power supply was not good quality would it break in less than a year?
!