PC restarts when i plug anything to front ports

cbeermann

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Hello,

I have had a very annoying problem for quite some time now. I built my PC about 6 months ago and it was working completely fine. A few months ago i noticed that my computer would randomly restart at any point in time and i always assumed i had an update going and it restarted or i bumped something. I was wrong. Recently I noticed that whenever i plug anything into the front 2 USB ports or the other 2 3.5mm audio jacks, My computer will restart. Also if i take the plugin to a USB or audio jack and just touch the ports on the front with it, the same thing happens. When this does happen I hear a sort of shorting noise but im sure it cant be a short because all the cables are plugged in tight.

I have an Antec 1200 Case and a Gigabyte MA790G-UD3H Mobo

I have read numerous threads similar to this and i have tried turning off the realtek mobo feature to detect front port audio jacks, as well as going into BIOS and turning off the USB wake computer feature. Neither of these helped.

Further notes... My power supply is 550w and im not even close to exceeding that so I am prety sure its not a power related issue either. Also, if it could possibly be a faulty case let me know if you think that's a possibility.

If anyone has any suggestions about what it could be I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your time,
Curtis

bigdarnhero

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Just built my system and the same thing is happening. I'm not really much of a PC guy because of crap like this, so I'm thinking for simplicity sake I'm just gonna run all my cables to the back and unplug the front ports from the motherboard. It will be interesting to see if that stops it, because if it doesn't i have a feeling one of the wires has a bare section touching the case somewhere maybe and the static electricity is causing the issue - could be possible since just our fingers set off the restart. Whatever.

N82E16811147074 CASE ROSEWILL|R220-P-BK RT 1 29.99
N82E16820220396 MEM 2Gx2|PATRIOT PGS24G6400ELK RT 1 88.99
N82E16817171046 PSU COOLMASTER|RS-460-PSAR-J3 RT 1 29.99
N82E16819103706 CPU AMD|ATH II X4 620 AM3 R 1 99.00
N82E16813128394 MB GIGABYTE|GA-MA785GM-US2H RT

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your suggestion of "one of the wires touching" might be correct. For BOTH the Power and the Reset pushbuttons, each has two leads coming from the mono connector. They are Ground and a +5 VDC line. All the pushbutton does is temporarily short out its +5v line to Ground, and the mobo takes the required action. But just suppose TWO things: the front panel itself is all plastic and somehow NOT connected to the mobo Ground; and, the +5 VDC signal line for the Reset pushbutton is abraded and shorting to some metal bracket that mounts all the front connectors. Now the moment you touch any of those connectors with anything like a real Ground, the mobo will see that as a push of the Reset switch and take action.

Another situation that could make this happen is if the front panle bracket carrying the Reset switch is designed so that the Reset Switch's Ground pin is connected to that metak bracket, and then you mistakenly reversed the two leads from the switch where they plug into the mobo pinout. That would put the lead that should be +5 VDC to the switch Ground and metal bracket, and what should be Ground to the switch's +5 VDC terminal which is isolated and doing nothing.

So, in case the problem is simply wrong leads on the mobo pinout, check that very carefully first. If that does not solve the problem, see if you can get the front of the case apart enough to inspect all the wiring carefully. Look closely for bent or crimped or squashed wires, and any that seem to be pushed up against a metal piece so that the insulation is damaged. If necessary, simply disconnect the leads at the mobo pinout connector for each switch or connector one device at a time and see whether that fixes it. The one that stops the problem needs fixing.